Waxing and client discomfort

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewGeeker

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to waxing, and having only done 2 eyebrow waxes (this week) with hot wax, both clients seemed in quite a bit of discomfort.

The only experience (apart from my course) that I really have is of my own eyebrows being waxed...but I never remember it being too uncomfortable.

Is it normal, in your experience, for some clients to have a much lower pain threshold than others? I have to say one of them had REALLY coarse hair, so I imagine this will have hurt a little more than normal.

There is no such thing as painless waxing. However, technique, experience and products used would help alot. If you use hot wax, apply a small amount of oil before you put the wax on. Stretch the area whilst applying and removing the wax.

Some clients do have lower pain thresholds and will make a fuss no matter how good your technique is. You will just have to be assertive with them. By all means do not pin them down (LOL), but do let them be aware that removing hairs from follicles would never be painless. JMO.

Last edited:
Definitely.
I have some clients who sit through a full leg and brazillian wax like they're having a facial and others that swear, hide behind their towel and hold their breath!
I sometimes feel really bad when the reaction is extreme but I try to talk and distract them from the job in hand and remember, they are paying you to do it.

I always remember doing my waxing training & being told that every person has a different pain threshold, but the right technique & if applicable, positioning of limbs help.

They also said that it depends on the time of the month for the woman, not sure how true this is though ??!!!

Yep, time of the month can increase sensitivity .

I'm a big flincher when it comes to being waxed , but I got my brows and legs done recently with the new PS Waxing system .. brilliant! I never jumped out of the way once! :lol:

Yes, it's completely normal. Everyone is different. I am afraid I am like one of your clients - I hate having my eyebrows waxed, I find it so painful. Don't even get me started on a brazilian..

Most people find waxing ok and I've even had a couple fall asleep. Very odd! If you're ripping hair out the roots, there's got be some discomfort. Some people feel it more on one side than the other.

I had an instructor tell me if I had clients that are not pain tolerant to offer this advice to them. Future waxing sessions they should not have caffeen that morning and they should take one aspirin one hour before waxing session would minimize the pain. (not as a pain reliever) But the aspirin would allow the tiny muscle that is attached to the individual hairs to relax and things would go better!
I pass that advise on to my clients and most don't really complain at all. Of course, a full Brazilian is not for the faint of heart to start with. Good luck, and stick with it!

I had an instructor tell me if I had clients that are not pain tolerant to offer this advice to them. Future waxing sessions they should not have caffeen that morning and they should take one aspirin one hour before waxing session would minimize the pain. (not as a pain reliever) But the aspirin would allow the tiny muscle that is attached to the individual hairs to relax and things would go better!
I pass that advise on to my clients and most don't really complain at all. Of course, a full Brazilian is not for the faint of heart to start with. Good luck, and stick with it!

Caffeine and alcohol (hello hangover) both dehydrate the skin - dry skin is more painful for removal.

Latest posts

Back