Waxing and Spots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I have to wax bits of my face - upper lip and chin mainly.

No matter what I do, I end up with horrible spots a day or so later. I always use the pre wax treatment and the after wax treatment.

What am I doing wrong guys - I dont like the look of the fuzz but hey the spots aren't much better - rock and a hard place spring to mind LOL.

Usually what happens is that after treatment we tend to touch the area more, with the follicle/pores being open dirt, grime etc gets in causing spots/infection. Avoid wearing make-up for at least 24hrs and use diluted witchhazel on the area for a few days and hopefully that should help xxxx

Unfortunately some people are more prone to spots after waxing.
Here are some steps to help avoid,but even these dont always stop the dreaded after wax spots.

Avoid touching the area that has been waxed,for about 24 hrs,avoid swimming baths,avoid make-up and perfumed products.These can all cause spots,because of open pores,bacteria.

I use a witch hazel after gel when I have finished waxing on the facial area.

Have to say that I suffer with my eyebrows nearly everytime.I use a T Tree wax that is supposed to be better but it dosn't always work.

If I get the itch,sometimes I will apply a T Tree oil and this,if caught quickly enough helps to stop the spot.HTH

Thanks for your input - the after wax treatment I use is a Tea Tree one.

I try as much as possible to wax these areas last thing in the day so that all I am doing after waxing, is sleeping.

I will try the witch hazel too.

Hi Fiona,

Hive of beauty do a product call Smooth it. It burns like hell when applied (like aftershave for men) but does help with ingrown hairs. I think that is what the spots might be. I have used this on some clients after their wax for ladies who are prone to spots on the lip and chin area and told them to avoid make-up for 24 hrs. I haven't had a complaint yet!

It says on the bottle for use after shaving but I use it for after waxing, seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps you love!

xxxx

This is a very common reaction. I tend to use a clearing booster or an astrigent on the area after waxing instead of my usual post-wax cream. And try using an acne wash on the area for next few days. Also, something like PFB Vanish (used for ingrown hairs and razor bumps) works well too. And NO touching the area.

Thanks for your input - the after wax treatment I use is a Tea Tree one.

I try as much as possible to wax these areas last thing in the day so that all I am doing after waxing, is sleeping.

I will try the witch hazel too.

Do you sleep on your tummy ? Just thinking that the pillowcase might rub on your face & irriate the skin a bit ?
Try waxing in the morning and see what happens. I use the australian bodycare face cream after waxing. :)

With a few of my clients who experience this I give them a piece of cotton wool with aloe vera gel on and for the next hour, when ever they get an itch, they rub it with the cotton wool or a clean tissue.

If you sweat in bed that can cause it too. Bacteria around your mouth from licking your lips, mixing with your warm sweat! I also warn all of my clients of this in the summer after waxing treatments.

Also how often are you waxing? 3,4,5 weeks? Sometimes the longer you leave it, the more hairs that grow, the more to be removed so leaving it very sensitive. With any other area on the body, the longer the better as the hairs do not grow back so quickly. But top lip waxing is different. the hairs are so close together the skin ends up so sensitive.

I hope you solve your problem! good luck. S-j

Thank you all for your input - I am prone to spots so I will go down the "acne" type route rather than the ingrown hair/razor burn route.

I have to wax bits of my face - upper lip and chin mainly.

No matter what I do, I end up with horrible spots a day or so later. I always use the pre wax treatment and the after wax treatment.

What am I doing wrong guys - I dont like the look of the fuzz but hey the spots aren't much better - rock and a hard place spring to mind LOL.
Are the spots pustules or just red spots?
I get little pustules on certain areas, lip, side of the face & between the eyebrows, I find that if I do it more often I don't get them, but when I haven't done it for a while it's horrible. I usually use a spot treatment on them, tea tree oil would be good too, but there probably isn't enough in the after wax lotion you use to make a difference.

it is really common to get pustules after waxing the facial area ,its because you are over stimulating the sebaceous glands either while waxing or after by touching , when you wax do you rub the strip ?? the trick is not to ! just press on it and hold it for a while to make sure it is adhered and stays warm then rip it off , aply some sterex witch hazel gel after (it is for electrolysis, but is fine for after wax too ) you can get it at ellisons , also if you are gettting little white pustules ,
try applying (and this sounds weird ) a paste of bicarb and water ! i learnt this off an american book and its fab , it emusifies the oils and makes the spots go , plus it really stops the sting too :green: , hth dee x

Latest posts

Back