Waxing - can you make a living out of it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeawallace

Reaction score
I have been trained to do acrylic/UV Gel nails but also mani peds and waxing. I am a bit disshearted with my nail enhancements and am thinking of ditching it and just doing mani pedi and waxing, do you think you can still make a mobile business out of it.

Thx

If your heart isn't in enhancement systems then I would put it to one side for now. I really can't say how your mobile business would do ... only one way to find out! What about learning other beauty things too - eyebrow tinting sits very well with waxing for example and not too high a start up cost.

Yes i was wondering whether to do facials or massage but really need to get some clients with what i can do first and make a bit of money:Grope:

I can appreciate where you are coming from, having been there myself.

To be honest I too did enhancements for nearly two years. I found them problematic, tiring and in the end gave it up. But I don't look back and regret it at all.

Im a beauty therapist by heart and my heart wasn't in nails.

I would say - do the full beauty course and get yourself qualified with as many quals as you can.

I work part time but touch wood seem to be very busy and hope to remain this way!

Facials yes good earner, as are eye treatments, spray tanning and waxing, waxing takes a while to master, I've been doing it seven years and aren't quick with leg waxing but I take my time and don't rush.

Yes Tinky Winky, i did some nails last night and i wasnt happy at all about them and for some reason it took ages and i came home and actually couldnt sleep thinking have i dont the wrong thing coming into nails!! Having said that i do enjoy mani pedi and waxing, i feel annoyed with myself for doing the whole course and forking out all that money and buying all the L&P stuff, but am still glad i am in the beauty business. I did hairdressing many years ago and loved it.

Trouble is cant afford to really do any more courses until i earn some money with what i can do. sigh sigh!!

I am a bit disshearted with my nail enhancements and am thinking of ditching it and just doing mani pedi and waxing
I think it's still early days yet to be thinking of ditching it completely... you've only been doing enhancements since May so you're still getting to grips with your product and application.
Would you feel the same way if your enhancements were problem free? I don't think you would, I would encourage you to practice until you've mastered it, but then again we're all different and if you're really not happy then your heart won't be in it :hug:

No you are right sandi, I was talking to my firend today who has been doing nails a bit longer than me and she has all the same problems, its only because i did some crumby nails last night and thought "oh god what am i doing this for" :eek:

jane - i'm only a bit 'older' than you in this business and only just getting there!(where is that lol?) i also only do l&p - its still early days yet and know that from some of your posts you are still wrestling with different makes of products. Hang in there it does take time and lots and lots of patience!!

yes i know actually i feel better about it this afternoon, think i was tired yesterday after i finished and i just thought god is this really worth it and i do actually prefer UV Gel nails so maybe i will stick with them as i can do them much better.

Stick with it hun and you could always do a part time beauty therapy course at the same time.
If once you have finnished the course you still feel the same then at least you will have something to fall back on and if not then you just will have more services to offer your clients.
Good luck hun and i hope you find a way of sorting this problem out :hug:

Yes thx, i will stick with it for now, i havent done any for a few weeks with the kids being off and everything so i need to get back into it again, have started leaflet dropping so hopefully get some more clients and get my confidence back

No you are right sandi, I was talking to my firend today who has been doing nails a bit longer than me and she has all the same problems, its only because i did some crumby nails last night and thought "oh god what am i doing this for" :eek:
Sometimes we do some sets of nails that aren't up to scratch, it depresses us and then we think "sod it, I'll throw the towel in!"
I know how it feels because I've been there :hug: as have many of us.
We're our own worst critics too and that doesn't help our confidence.

I'm pleased for you that you've decided to stick at it, it won't stop you adding on other services and that way your treatments will appeal to more people :green:

Yes thx all, fell much better now thx

thinking of doing spray tanning as well

:lol:

Latest posts

Back