Waxing causing skin irritation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadeycb

Reaction score
Hi, I have one client in particular who has recently been left with soreness & scabs under the eyebrow after an eyebrow wax with me, even though I have been doing her eyebrows for years & no problem before. I have been a therapist for several years, I know that the wax isn't too hot as I always test on myself before applying to the client. I have tried changing the brand of wax as I was sure they had changed the ingredients, but it did it again and I felt awful. I asked if she is on any medication & she said no. She has had heart palpitations in the past & got put on medication then but does not currently need it anymore. Could this be the reason for thinner skin? I also did her lip wax & that area was fine?
Then, just the other day, I did a lady who suffers from eczema and the same also happened. Could it be I'm not stretching the skin enough? Or am I applying the wax too thickly? Or do eczema sufferers often get this problem?
I've never had this happen to me in nearly 10 years of practise, any thoughts please? Have any of you had this problem before & worked out the problem?
It's starting to knock my confidence. Thanks.

There are quite a lot of threads on this problem but not many solutions.

This can happen for several reasons. If your client is using a vitamin a based skin care this can happen. If your client is hot and has rushed to get to you, this can happen. If your client has just jumped in the shower and come to you, this can happen, and sometimes it can just happen.

You can use a little oil under the brow or you can use a non strip wax which is gentler but I often find if it's happened once, it can often happen again, so I pluck or thread but I'm really crap at threading :(

Vic x

I had a similar problem with a tiny break in skin doing a lip wax near corner of mouth. I've read on this site to not use prewax to leave the skin's natural oily defence layer. What I did was to note the spot for next time (shes a regular). I put a dot of vaseline on it and on lip to protect and very thin wax layer to do the area. Then I gently tweezed where the Vaseline had protected. That worked out ok and the suspect area was correspondingly not as red. My client is in her 60's and I just think the skin was fragile on that spot. It means you have to do small area in small sections but worth it for better result. Also don't do an area more than once with wax use the tweezers. I think the skin on mature clients can't take it.

Sometimes there really is no explainable reason, especially when you're clearly a good and experienced therapist.

I'm guessing that the skin was damp, so I would cleanse and then dry. Not all body parts work best with oil.

If you do get a client that looks red or has had this happen then apply a thin layer of nappy cream straight after waxing.

Don't let it knock you as its happened to us all.

I agree with the other post about the vitamin a. Maybe just ask her about her current skincare. Are you using strip wax or hot wax? Id lean towards the hot wax in future. Also how long after you waxing her has she gotten the irritation? Is she applying makeup or anything else to the skin or does she have hair that falls over the waxed area? Does she doing anything that can cause her to sweat (exercise) all these little things can play a part in the outcome. You would have noticed if you lifted the skin after waxing her so if that's nit the case id be going through aftercare advice with her again just to make sure she knows what to do after being waxed :)

I've just had the same problem and it has knocked my confidence and my company have said if it happens again they will sack me, there not in beauty them selves.
I did everything right asked about medication, pulled the skin and soon as I pulled the strip off I could see what had happened. Don't no what to do to prevent it from happening again [emoji17]

Latest posts

Back