Waxing disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Just had a complete waxing disaster and could actually cry! I am new to waxing and not done that much so advertised for models to practise a bit more. Had done a few half leg which went fine and took about 25 mins. Tonight I had a lady for full leg and bikini and it was a disaster, took me about 2 hours (her mum even rang to check she was ok) lol she was quite hairy and I really struggled with thighs especially and then when I went to bikini I switched to hot wax and it just wasn't setting, when I was removing it just went all gummy (never happened before) I was so embarrassed in the end I just almost gave up, did bare minimum on bikini. The lady was lovely and I was joking with her about how long it was taking but honestly it was a complete nightmare. I was in a huge sticky mess, just awful, shall I just give up [emoji20] X

No don't give up have more faith in yourself we have all been there that's why you wanted models as the saying goes get back on the horse and go again you will be fabulous with practice Gil leg does take longer as all the different directions of hair growth don't be hard on yourself xx

Thanks for your positivity but I feel hugely beaten by it tonight [emoji53] thinking maybe a creamier wax might be my friend.......

In future when your hot wax isn't setting dab it with some blue lotion on a tissue and it will help it to set ;).

I hate doing a full leg and I've been waxing years, I don't have any trouble with half legs or with hollywoods/Brazillians (thanks to Kim Lawless training) but a full leg wax always seems to make me stress, there really is no vaild reason as waxing hair is the same from a half leg as it is from a full leg but it seems to take me forever doing a full leg.
Just breath, and work methodically, you will get your speed up before you know it (& try Nacree Blanche :)).

Thank you again baggy bear Its nice to know that a full leg can trouble experienced waters too! Lol I'm def gonna try a different wax and will remember the blue lotion. Why would it not have set? X

I hateeeeeee full leg waxing also! I remember when in my first job out of college in a salon I had a full leg wax and bikini, and took so long that they closed up the salon and shouted bye to me as it took Me forever!!! Don't give up, but is my worst treatment to do x

Don't stress! I had the same problems when I first started. As Baggybear I still hate full legs but it does get easier. As for the bikini wax, what wax were you using? I had this problem in the summer last year when the room was hot and I did sometimes dab the blue lotion on to help it set but you could just use water to save wasting the blue lotion. It's just the liquid that helps it set. Intimate 4 and Escential Rose set quicker than the other waxes so maybe try them until you get more experience. Don't give up! X

Thank you for your support, nice to know that full legs are a bit of a nemesis to others too! I was using Euroblonde wax for bikini. The room did feel quite hot but not sure if that's because I was sweating so much through stress!! Lol to be honest by the time I got to bikini I was so stressed it could have been anything, I prob did something wrong but didn't realise!! The wax had got a bit thick so maybe the temp was bit too cool where the lid was off heater? It was like I was picking off chewing gum!! [emoji30]

Ps. Been reading loads of waxing threads this morn in attempt to improve and feel positive again, I think the drizzling method I was taught is causing mess and wasting time what do u think? I don't want to double dip so assume I just dip spread and throw? Can u get larger wooden spatulas so u can get more on at a time or should I think about roller wax for full legs? Sorry if I'm babbling on the trauma that was last night is still fresh in my mind!! Lolx

Ah yeah full leg is the worst. I don't do them very often but when i do I remember how much hard work it is. I always think to myself afterwards - why do I charge more for a hollywood than I do for that!!?? I should change that. Then I never do haha.

I can normally do a braz/hollywood in about 20 minutes but I have one lady whose full leg and regular bikini took me over 2 hours last time. Some clients are just harder than others.

Don't worry, we all have a few experiences like this and you just need to practice. I nearly gave up forever after a disastrous bikini wax and that was on a friend! I booked myself onto advanced training the next day.

Ah yeah full leg is the worst. I don't do them very often but when i do I remember how much hard work it is. I always think to myself afterwards - why do I charge more for a hollywood than I do for that!!?? I should change that. Then I never do haha.

I can normally do a braz/hollywood in about 20 minutes but I have one lady whose full leg and regular bikini took me over 2 hours last time. Some clients are just harder than others.

Don't worry, we all have a few experiences like this and you just need to practice. I nearly gave up forever after a disastrous bikini wax and that was on a friend! I booked myself onto advanced training the next day.
That mAkes me feel a bit better thanks!! From now on anyone who walks into my house is going to have to have a full leg wax so I can practise!! Lol any tips on top half of leg wax? I really struggled with stretching and seeing where I had waxed [emoji53] have ordered some nacree Blanche today and a giant wooden spAtula!! Lol x

I do the bottom half at the front of both legs and include the knees. Then suddenly that upper leg doesn't look so bad. I then work quite methodically working up from there. Get as much done on the front as you can and when they turn over, the end is nearly in sight.

Clients heat can often stop the wax from setting and if it's taking a long time, chances are she was getting hot.

Waxing is a skill. It's not something we're born with and some will always be better than others but don't be put off. You're still learning so stop beating yourself up.

Keep practising x

Could you do some strip waxing while the hot wax is setting. That way you'll be giving it longer to set and not feel like you're wasting time.

I do front of one lower leg, then bend the knee and do the knee and side of thigh, lower leg and do top of thigh.
Then do the same with the other leg.
Then get client to get into a frog position.
Apply hot wax to bikini and strip the inside of one thigh and then the same the other side.
If I was doing a holly I would apply a bit of hot and a bit of warm.
If I've run out of thigh and there's still hot waxing to do I might strip the side of the calf I can see, or any area that needs stripping that I can get to.
To do the bottom area I get them to bring their knees to chest and apply hot wax and while that's setting I'll strip some bum cheek or back of thighs.

It's very very simple and I've made it sound quite complicated! Sorry!

Don't stress honestly. I remember my first full leg and bikini fresh out of college. I was a sweaty panicky mess by the end and missed so many hairs. The client complained, and justifiably so.

Many years later I was working in another spa, the same client came in. She clearly didn't recognise me but I would never of forgotten her!! At the end of the treatment she said I had done a great job and told me the story of a young girl who did her the worst wax (the young girl was me). I kid you not! Definitely didn't tell her it was me though haha!

Moral of the story-never ever give up, I promise you will get better even if it doesn't seem like it xx

Thank you everyone so much! Would it be odd if I did the back first?? No it sounds strange but when I started tanning I always did back first because one its not quite so daunting for the client and also I feel less stressed because they are not watching me so it gives me a chance to relax and get my rhythm going. How do I get the best stretch on inner thighs? Babc that made me lol there is hope for me yet! X

I hate doing full legs too. I have some clients that I can do in 30/45 minutes and some that still take me a full hour or slightly more. I'd someone in this week for hollywood/full leg and I booked out 1hr 45mins, even though she's been to me a few times now it's not getting any quicker or easier with her.

I prefer to do the back of the legs first, and as most of my clients are in for hollywood/brazilian anyway, and I'm Kim Lawless trained, we always start with the bum and backs of legs first anyway, so if you think you'd prefer to do it that way then give it a try. I know what you mean about getting a rhythm going.

For inner thighs I tend to do them when the client has their legs in the frog/butterfly position so I'm putting hot wax on for their hollywood and doing a quick section of inner thigh while the hot wax sets. Getting a stretch can be difficult sometimes but there's a few different ways to do it depending on your client and which side you stand on and whether you've got access to both sides of the bed, I found looking at some You Tube vids of full leg wax really helped.

I'd definitely ditch the spatula drizzle method, it's such a faff and so time consuming! Spats cost pennies, I'd rather use more (and incorporate that into the price of the treatment) and I plan on making a donation to a tree planting charity at the end of the year to assauge my guilt about the environment and how many trees I'm getting through! :D

You mentioned stretching. Make sure that you have the client lying in completely flat position as they are more stretched out, it makes a big difference if they are tilted even a little bit. As someone said waxing is a skill and you will be learning for ages. I once waxed half an eyebrow off when trying strip wax instead of my usual hot, forgot to use a new strip and used one that already had wax on from the other brow.... live and learn! LOL

I used to dread full legs too, it took me a while to be comfortable doing them.
First intimate wax I done was on an Italian lady who shaved her whole life, half way through I gave up and promised myself to never do one again haha, eventually I had to try again and I am glad I did because it's second nature now. Hang in there xx

Latest posts

Back