Waxing help needed, such a mess! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™ve recently been pushing my waxing more and done some deals which has resulted in me doing more. This is good obviously

However ā€¦..

A couple of ladies have started coming for quite a lot of waxing ā€¦ full leg, underarms, brow lip & chin. Iā€™m not fast and currently taking just under 2 hours. Im getting in a bit of a mess tbh and finding the whole thing really stressful to the point where Iā€™m now dreading it.

I work with warm wax but am finding little strings of it everywhere and this time I managed to tread in some and have been clacking round for the whole appt, which is obv really embarrassing and the couch roll I put on the floor to protect it got stuck on my foot šŸ™ˆ. Iā€™m guessing as itā€™s a long appt my wax got too hot and runny although I kept checking with my client it felt ok.

Iā€™ve heard of a cartridge system, how does this work please and is it going to revolutionise my waxing appointments? At the moment I feel like Iā€™m just not meant for waxing and should probably give it up. Also would I need to re-train to use a cartridge system?

I qualified a good few years ago but tbh till recently have been mainly do facial waxing and the odd armpit.

Help!

Last edited:
Roll on wax is a game changer, I have used it since 1989 and would never go back to a pot. It is quicker, cleaner and less waste. Your waxing technique is the same, apply with hair growth and take off with paper strips against. You just roll on a nice even thin layer of wax rather than use a spatula to apply. The temperature is always correct. You work from one cartridge, then the next, so the first is re-heating ready to use again.
I've used several different roll on systems over the years and 'Clean + Easy' is definitely the best. Buy from wholesalers such as Ellisons. Get the starter kit to get the best price for the heater.
Personally I use hemp wax for the large cartridges and original for the medium & small sizes.
Don't bother with the fine size roller head, too tiddly!
email me if you want to know more...

Thank you so much for all the info; I feel a sense of relief already!! And have an account with Ellisons šŸ˜ so am going bc to have a look tonight. Great tip re: best price for heater. Thank you šŸ˜˜

I might have a look on you tube and seenif thereā€™s a clean & easy video or something to give me a better idea. Iā€™m sure it will all become clear! It sounds like what I am desperately in need of to stop me feeling like such an amateur.

Would you use this for a brow wax and lip/chin also as I do a lot of that

I am old school and your post Blossom has made me smile so much! My lovely boss (may she RIP) was hopeless at waxing and covered the floor , couch, client in wax and made a really sticky mess! I am not implying that you are hopeless by the way:)
OMG we really needed roll-on for her!
The essence of pot wax is all in the twiddling of the spatula and it not being too thin in consistency. I am sure you'll get on well with the cartridge system.

I have recently acquired the Hive brow waxing kit with hard wax which I fine great for lip and brow wax if you don't feel up to the cartridge system.

Blossom I laughed when I read your post. Iā€™ve been there! Many years ago my husband asked my 2 yr old granddaughter of she knew how to do waxing. She nodded enthusiastically and proceeded to do a mime which included some snappy marching on the spot. I was a bit puzzled until I realised that from her ā€œahemā€ secret hiding place under my couch, sheā€™d watch me ā€œdanceā€ when I stepped in wax that Iā€™d drizzled over the floor.

I learned how to work cleanly and so can you.

Have after wax lotion and after wax oil in pump dispenser bottles and a box of tissues handy

Before you start, squidge a little oil over your fingers - it will stop you getting too sticky. Reapply and wipe your fingers with a tissue if you need to clean up. Remember to hold a tissue over your fingers if you touch a light switch or your trolley to save cleaning. Use a pump of lotion and oil to massage off residue from your clients legs after her wax, wipe your hands with tissues to remove excess lotion.

Position your trolley and your bin near at hand. Wandering around the couch wastes time and spreads any mess.

A roller is a great help - it applies wax very thinly, this saves you money and makes life easier. Before you use the roller, just roll it over a wax strip a couple of times to get the wax to flow. I use a hive roller in a heated ā€˜jacketā€ that sits in a charging base. itā€™s less hot to hold and keeps the wax at the perfect temperature. Replace the roller on its base whilst you remove the wax. You can wax much larger sections with a roller. Itā€™s so speedy you get your money back from the time saving.

Work methodically in neat sections with a good rhythm so that the wax doesnā€™t have time to cool. If you remove the strip with your right hand you should be using your left hand to bond the strip to the applied wax. Learn not to leave little margins of wax behind but to remove all the wax. Learn to use the sticky paper strip to get off any missed hairs rather than reapplying wax.

You donā€™t need many strips - the ideal is to just use 2 strips per leg, for a full leg. Learn to use every bit of wax strip by folding in the short edge of the strip when it gets too messy and turning the strip so you use the other end (not the other side - much to sticky). You waste time getting a fresh strip.

Finally have a system of work that helps you. For the combo youā€™ve mentioned work down the body. Start with the brows, then other facial waxing, then underarms, then legs. This way you get the precision work out of the way whilst you are fresh, and you can reposition your trolley/light aa you go of you need. If you are doing a bikini, get this out of the way first so your client isnā€™t stressing. Do the face early in the treatment so that the clientā€™s skin has time to calm down before she leaves.

I hope this all helps. It is practice, practice, practice. I was much better after 20 waxes and still improving after 50 waxing appointments.

Thatā€™s amazing CFBS thank you so much for your kind advice. I have an account with ellisons so will check this out. Great tip re: best price for heater too! Thank you

Rosie you are so right itā€™s all in the twiddling lol and I thought I had the twiddling sorted but the wax just gets soooo runny, I am sure Iā€™ll get in well with the cartridge system. It will take away so much potential for disaster!

Duchess thatā€™s so funny šŸ˜† glad to hear itā€™s not just me! Some fab tips there, very helpful thank you so much! I do work in that order but canā€™t move my wax pot from near the socket so that is an issue. I have to say Iā€™m fairly sure the client is nowhere near as stressed as I am šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø 2 strips per leg hahahahaha omg I cannot imagine this atm but maybe one day!!

Much appreciated my lovelies thank you

Last edited:
Iā€™ve only just stopped feeling like this however I do get overwhelmed when a client is in for a full body wax! Youā€™re doing amazing and will get better the more you do xx

Thanks everyone. Iā€™ve moved on to the roller wax system now and it has been a complete game changer for me. I no longer dread waxing sessions šŸ˜…
Thanks for all the support and help, I really appreciate it x

Latest posts

Back