Waxing help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roc

Reaction score
hello
not sure if this is in the right place.
im just looking for some others views on my situation. sorry if this is long but ill try and keep it as simple as i can .
I am fully qualified beauty and body therapist since june this year. I was offered two days a week in a local salon and the owner was aware and happy that i have a home salon also.i had only just started out and delighted to have a nice mixture of experience. the salon is very old school ,but have been in business sucessfully for over 20 years . I am very respectful of the experience of both the owner and other full time staff member. However so much goes against my training . they double dip and spatulas are re used for days . no paper wax strips are used , we must cut up curtain lining . they use strip wax for everything and the pots are probable about 20 years old and impossible to clean. they say they never had any problems . i find it so hard to get used to even after all this time. im the new girl and so i understand that i will take time to build up clients but im not "allowed" to do leg waxing or bikini as im not up to speed apparantly . I only ever get a little tset now and again and then im so nervous it takes me a long time. yesterday i had a challenge to do an underarm, half leg, eyebrow and lip wax in 40 mins. it took me 60 . I was mortified and annoyed with myself . the other girl asked me what happend , that she is an easy wax and always quick to do . i said yeah but her hair was growing in lots of different directions . it was going every which way . she said yeah but its still the same . I said what do you mean . she says its still just a case of on with the wax and off again that if i went by the growth direction i would be there all day .this goes against all my training. im getting very fed up of it all. i admit i actually didnt have a leg wax client in a while and she says you need to be at it every day . i cant just magic clients and im not getting the experience they want in their salon. im begining to think they just want a cleaner. im under so much pressure and i feel im given any allowance for being new to it all and im just meant to be up to speed straight away . its a few months now and i still feel like the new girl . iknow i should be up to speed by now but i feel stuck at the moment. i am quick at home with my clients and try to be as efficient as possible . any tips ?????

Last edited:
I really feel for you, I worked in a spa and they had a different wax system to what I was used to, I always got clients with really long wiry hair that grew in every direction and I never did it within the times I was supposed to (20 minutes for a half leg wax, 40 for a full) it made me absolutely hate waxing and I actual got really anxious when I saw that I had it booked in! They once also booked in a full leg wax and a Brazilian knowing full well I'm not trained in intimate waxing, I just point blank refused to do it, the assistant manager told me I had to so I just said no. I'm not trained, I'll make a mess, the client won't be happy. It's not happening. I eventually converted to a spa therapist and didn't do waxing at all. I left just as they were changing the rules so everyone had to do every treatment. I've been working abroad the last 6 months and have discovered roller wax, so much easier and quicker and has got my confidence back up again in waxing. Makes me want to open my own place and employ people who are happy doing specific treatments if you don't like doing nails, I'm not going to make you do it, you need more time for waxing? I'll give you more time...I wish all employers were understanding of things and all had the same standards of work and hygiene.

I never double dip the spatula and I went for an interview and the woman interviewing me on the trade test said 'Oh, do you discard the spatula after one use? That's not very cost effective and we use the same one for the same client' (and the next few by the looks of it!)

I literally used to practise on anyone I could at home to get my speed up, that's the only thing I can suggest for helping with timings...sorry for the long ranting post but your totally not alone [emoji23] xx

thanks !! i was begining to think maybe i was expecting too much leeway ?? its not fair cos i am willing to do everything to get the experience and then only recently realised the owner just " doesnt do " nails at all or any intimate waxing apart from basic bikini . i had client booked i and had to call her back because of my mistake . i wish i could get to the stage where i can say oh id prefer not to be booked for such and such . i use the roller too at home and i love it . its so efficient !!!

No way, to begin with the spa did give new starters more time but only for a month or so. Maybe you could mention that someone you know has just started and they're allowed extra time? Why don't you suggest they start nails? Yeah I love roller wax. It's so more quicker and easier! Xx

Don't compromise your own standards!! Particularly as you are growing your own business. You don't want to damage your reputation before you even start. I feel for you, but this does not sound like the right salon for you. Clients are pretty savvy about double dipping etc, so it's not something you want to be associated with. Hard decision but it sounds like you've kind of made up your mind anyway..... :) Stick to your guns!

Latest posts

Back