Waxing nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I have been a therapist for six years and I am trained in intimate waxing with ABC. I work as a therapist in a local salon and today was just awful.
I had a lady in for a brazillian wax, I use strip wax to do a basic bikini line wax, then hot wax as I move further in.

My client said she'd had a wax before, but she was really sensitive even doing a basic bikini line and I kept asking her if she was ok. When I moved on to her labia, I removed one strip of the hot wax and she burst into tears. I felt so bad and just kept apologising to her. She then wanted me to do the rest with strip wax which I can't do and I refused to wax her as she was crying.

I tidied up her bikini line with warm wax, but she was lying there just saying, "what can I do?" So I just apologised and said I didn't want to wax her as she was so upset and told her that she wouldn't be charged.

I made sure she was ok and she left, I don't feel I did anything wrong. I've been waxing for six years without a problem, I just feel really bad. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance x

I'm sure that you did nothing wrong. Six years of experience is a long time and I am sure that your protocols are in place and followed. There probably was something else going on with her. Perhaps she lied and never had a Brazilian before or perhaps she was upset about something and just couldn't take it. You really did your best. Don't worry about it.

I did have a woman start crying as soon as I started a facial once. She was distraught about a personal issue. I tried to calm her down and didn't do the service. She thought that a facial would make her feel better, but as soon as she was lying down, her emotions got the best of her. Sometimes, it really doesn't have much to do with us. {{{Hugs}}}

I don't know if this says more about me but Ive had several clients cry on me :/. Not because I've hurt them, just hormones, life etc. I don't think anyone would just start crying re the hair being removed, I would say there was another underlying issue, so don't worry and carry on the good work!!! Xx

You did nothing wrong. Waxing hurts and that's a fact. However, most people find it hurts a little and a few find it kills. She may have cried because of the pain but she may also have stuff going on in her life that she was crying about.

You sound very professional so try not to let it worry you. :hug:

I have loads of clients cry on me - guess I just bring out the best in them. This sounds like she has issues, and none of them are related to your waxing. She could have booked this wax to please a boyfriend who's just dumped her - give me long enough and I could probably think of loads more scenarios, but you don't just burst into tears having you noony waxed - well I would which is why I do it myself lol. Chin up hon x

I have loads of clients cry on me - guess I just bring out the best in them. This sounds like she has issues, and none of them are related to your waxing. She could have booked this wax to please a boyfriend who's just dumped her - give me long enough and I could probably think of loads more scenarios, but you don't just burst into tears having you noony waxed - well I would which is why I do it myself lol. Chin up hon x

If the word 'noony' isn't enough to cheer you up, Fluffydreams, I don't know what is :lol:

As others have said, I'm sure it's not your technique as this would't be the first time you've had a crying client.

I think you acted very professionally and I'm sure the lady wouldn't want you to feel like you were the reason she burst in to tears.

:hug:

xxx

I have never had someone cry on me, always find hollywood clients easy. Although I would just tell her she is not meeting her maker and get a grip! Believe or not I have good client retention. God I sound awful but most just laugh. Anyway what do you think of this baby shower cake? Yuck
Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1374962719461.jpg
    1374962719461.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 258
I had a facial client cry but that was something personal she was going through, im crap I cry with them as I'm so emotional and can't deal with sadness lol but as for waxing, my clients have only cried with laughter as we often talk about totally inappropriate things while their bare bum is in the air lol xx

I burst into tears at the gym just recently and burst into tears at work today too. Sometimes stuff happens and no matter how much you try to get on with your life it just gets too much. Maybe that but of pain just pushed her to tip over and cry over something completely unrelated xxx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using SalonGeek mobile app

I have never had someone cry on me, always find hollywood clients easy. Although I would just tell her she is not meeting her maker and get a grip! Believe or not I have good client retention. God I sound awful but most just laugh. Anyway what do you think of this baby shower cake? Yuck
Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you told me to get a grip from crying during a treatment, you'd get a mouthful! How horrible of you to say that, you dont know whats going on in their life for that to happen!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you told me to get a grip from crying during a treatment, you'd get a mouthful! How horrible of you to say that, you dont know whats going on in their life for that to happen!

The truth is though when dealing with clients (excepts the ones you know personally and care about and know their life and are like friends). We talking randoms you hardly know you need to reign them in and keep control of the situation and not allow it to lose control and slip into tears. If I was saying "get a grip it bikini line" if someone was carrying on, it would be as a joke before it esculated.Quite frankly if they started crying I would be wondering about if they were the stable as it is clearly not about the pain unless you have bruised them or something. This is what I mean though you have to keep control don't indulge them, focus on doing your job and being the boss of the treatment, there are a lot of neurotic types out there. One thing I have learnt over my many years in the industry is never allow a client to take control they will lead you a merry dance! Most of the problems with clients on here are whe lines have became blurred in some way and the "people pleasing" has turned the beauty therapist into feeling taken advantage of in some way. You have to step away emotionally. Like a good teacher start as you mean to go on. Go on with the boundaries and your routine in place and once that is respected you can soften up and be nice. Thing is then you are respected.

from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Everyone has a different approach to dealing with clients, the soft approach doesn't work for everyone, for me if someone is firm but kind it helps me compose myself in every situation.

The truth is though when dealing with clients (excepts the ones you know personally and care about and know their life and are like friends). We talking randoms you hardly know you need to reign them in and keep control of the situation and not allow it to lose control and slip into tears. If I was saying "get a grip it bikini line" if someone was carrying on, it would be as a joke before it esculated.Quite frankly if they started crying I would be wondering about if they were the stable as it is clearly not about the pain unless you have bruised them or something. This is what I mean though you have to keep control don't indulge them, focus on doing your job and being the boss of the treatment, there are a lot of neurotic types out there. One thing I have learnt over my many years in the industry is never allow a client to take control they will lead you a merry dance! Most of the problems with clients on here are whe lines have became blurred in some way and the "people pleasing" has turned the beauty therapist into feeling taken advantage of in some way. You have to step away emotionally. Like a good teacher start as you mean to go on. Go on with the boundaries and your routine in place and once that is respected you can soften up and be nice. Thing is then you are respected.

from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app
You have explained it perfectly, when dealing with client pain management it is so important to maintain boundaries and often you can reassure by being firm and not indulging. It's not about being horrible but instead about dealing with a situation effectively and professionally, I have had all sorts of scenarios and yes of course you have to tailor your approach to suit character but remain firm and professional everytime. I have had many clients who get emotional due to the nature of treatments that I mainly offer, I always remain calm, kind, reassuring and treat them with respect but I am firm. someone crying for a bits wax would also receive fair but for sure rathet firm reassurance from me. I think the poster handled it well.

Thanks for your replies, means a lot! When I look back on the situation, she seemed overly fussy if i'm honest. First, the bed wasn't right, then the wax was the wrong colour, then the wax was too hot (it wasn't, i tested it), then I let it cool even further and of course it wouldn't apply as it was too cold. She was wincing at me just removing a few hairs from the inside of her leg, complaining it was really bad.
I tweezed a couple of hairs and she was really grimacing and complaining. We all know a basic bikini line wax is bearable and I have regular bikini waxing clients i've had for years that actually say I don't hurt as much as some other therapists.
So maybe this was just a bad day/bad time in her life.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys xx

Latest posts

Back