Waxing nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus040683

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site so I hope I am doing this right!
I have been in the beauty industry for 7 years and I always used to be very good at waxing, however I am having a nightmare at the moment because once I have put the wax and the strip on I can't pull it off!! I do rip it off eventually but its not instant and I thinks the client must be wondering what is going on. Its difficult to explain what happens but basically I get ready to rip the strip off but its like my brain is stopping me!! I think it must be some kind of psychological thing but its making me dread waxing, and I don't know what to do about it.
Its only happened since I started doing my own mobile beauty business and it could be because I'm not doing as much waxing as I was when I worked in the salon.
Has anyone else ever experience anything like this or am I a complete freak!!

No never had a problem pulling the strip off, altough once I pulled the strip off and wax was still on the leg! It took a few attemps to pull off - I think it could of been the wax I was using, but its never happened again.:eek:

Sounds like a confidence thing and you are almost having a panic attack probably because working on your own you know you are entirely responsible for everything you do.
I would advise waxing as much as possible on people you know even yourself.
Also when waxing others keep your areas small so you are not looking at a whole area waiting for the wax to be taken off.
If you are finding you are putting your wax on too thickly and getting too much pull then consider changing to a roller system.
Hope things work out for you.

Have you had a bad experience with a client prior to this?! Only thing I can think of is have a practice on a willing mate and maybe it will boost your confidence again! Best of luck! x

No, I haven't had any problems or bad experiences before with waxing, It could be to do with confidence like Gill said, I will have to get my friends and family round to practice on!

Sounds like the darts player scenario where they cant let go of the dart when they throw it - called dartitus.

Aparantly it is a mental thing where you become obsessed on getting your technique just right and the more you think about trying to get it right the less success you have in overcoming this.

Try and not to worry too much and hopefully you will get there. There is loads of places on the internet if you google "dartitus" and this will help to explain how you can overcome this.

x x x

Wow theres actually a name for it! Thank you I will look into this.

Hi I am new to this site so I hope I am doing this right!
I have been in the beauty industry for 7 years and I always used to be very good at waxing, however I am having a nightmare at the moment because once I have put the wax and the strip on I can't pull it off!! I do rip it off eventually but its not instant and I thinks the client must be wondering what is going on. Its difficult to explain what happens but basically I get ready to rip the strip off but its like my brain is stopping me!! I think it must be some kind of psychological thing but its making me dread waxing, and I don't know what to do about it.
Its only happened since I started doing my own mobile beauty business and it could be because I'm not doing as much waxing as I was when I worked in the salon.
Has anyone else ever experience anything like this or am I a complete freak!!
Hi sorry to hear that. I have had that "trust me" you tried to get the client to stretch the skin?? do you stretch it? does it happen to certain areas or everywhere? This never used to happen to me but recently when i go and pull the wax off the wax that is already on the strip comes off on the leg :eek: after a few attempts it goes back on the strip then i change it so it won't happen again, also I think body temperature plays a part in it, or the wax we are all using may be a bad batch, i don't know. But when you wax don't think about "oh my god is this going to hurt her" when i first started in the beauty indrustry i brused a few people due to this, i was scared and worried that i was going to hurt them. Wax is going to hurt no matter what, what i do now is not do large areas but smaller ones, my clients prefer it that way and you get better results "this is personal preference" also i stretch the skin and i get them to do the same. Your new to this so just think positive and go there wax them and if something goes wrong don't panic and say oh sorry, sorry really sorry, just talk to them keep them occupied with the conversation and just carry on. Most of my clients are waxing ones so i must be doing something right, lol. Anyway good luck and chin up and go for it. If you are still worried then why not charge less to start off with while you learn or feel more confident? :)

I have found that sometimes, when the client has cold skin or the temperature in the room is cool that this will happen. Try prepping the skin with oil first, you probably won't run into this problem again.

I think what jus is trying to say is that it is not the wax wont come off the client but the mental ability to pull the strip from the client.

I do agree that oil does make it easier to remove but doesnt get around the mental block in pulling the strip from the client.

I had this problem once a few months back when i had recently opened my treatment rooms, it was with a male client with a super hairy back, half way through he had had a fair bit of discomfort, for a minute i thought, i can't do this, but then i reminded myself i was qualified to do it and i darn well could, if you get a moment like that just pause take a deep breath and remind yourself you've been doing this for 7 years and you're good, put a smile on and believe in yourself, sorry if it sounds corny but trust me we all get panicky moments from time to time, good luck hun xxx

I had the same problems a few weeks ago when i changed wax, the wax just didnt agree with the strips, i used different strips and it worked, it was really strange, but quite embrassing at the time.

Latest posts

Back