Waxing now assessment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdenHinckley

Reaction score
Has anyone come across assessors insisting on a set number of wax strips in assessment. An assessor failed my apprentice because she claimed half leg should be no more than 6 strips in total (both legs!). The next assessor we saw had never heard of it and could find no reference to it anyway

Hi,
I was an assessor for VTCT for years. There was never anything actually written down any where stating the number of strips to use but it is still an indication of a learners overall competence.

The strips used should be:
  • 1 for front of first leg
  • 1 for front of second leg
  • 1 for back of first leg
  • 1 for back of second leg
  • 1 for both knees
  • anything on the feet & toes would be done with a couple of baby size strips.
This gives usage of 5 full size strips for a standard half leg wax. So your assessor has still allowed an extra strip for good measure.

If a learner has used more than 5 strips then the most likely reason is that they are are applying the wax too thickly, hence why they are using 2 strips per front etc..This indicates lack of experience and not yet up to commercial standard. More practice will eliminate this problem and improve their speed.

If a learner doesn't pass a practical assessment, the paperwork can still go in their portfolio as evidence of a formative assessment rather than a summative assessment (a passed one). Exam boards like to see learners improving on feedback given by their trainer.

Not to worry anyway, just have another go another day. :)

I passed my vtct college course last June and there was no mention of this at all! X

Hi,
I was an assessor for VTCT for years. There was never anything actually written down any where stating the number of strips to use but it is still an indication of a learners overall competence.

The strips used should be:
  • 1 for front of first leg
  • 1 for front of second leg
  • 1 for back of first leg
  • 1 for back of second leg
  • 1 for both knees
  • anything on the feet & toes would be done with a couple of baby size strips.
This gives usage of 5 full size strips for a standard half leg wax. So your assessor has still allowed an extra strip for good measure.

If a learner has used more than 5 strips then the most likely reason is that they are are applying the wax too thickly, hence why they are using 2 strips per front etc..This indicates lack of experience and not yet up to commercial standard. More practice will eliminate this problem and improve their speed.

If a learner doesn't pass a practical assessment, the paperwork can still go in their portfolio as evidence of a formative assessment rather than a summative assessment (a passed one). Exam boards like to see learners improving on feedback given by their trainer.

Not to worry anyway, just have another go another day. :)
She redid the assessment and passed but the second assessor had never heard of a max no if strips despite working for same organisation. I too am an assessor but not for beauty. I couldn't understand how there coukd be a fixed maximum as surely it depends on size of client and amount if hair? And surely the Iqa/EV should standardise.

She wasn't applying too thick as we use rollers.

Just seems petty and non commercial to fail just on this.

I would also add one strip for clean up at the end of service if necessary.

She probably hadn’t reached her fail quota for the year!
(I just realised you’re in Hinckley, I’m from Burbage! :) )

As an qualified assessor myself, It does show that the apprentice is using too much products, and not cost effective, and it is on the outcomes to be cost effective.
I’d allow 1 over but that’s about it, and it would really depend on the circumstances of the amount of the clients leg hair, it also makes for a more proficient and cost effective employee overall.

The amount used really depends on the individual client, varies on hair length, dry skin, size of leg (width or length of leg)..as long as your not use excessive amounts that equate then more than six is fine, esp when training, you will gain confidence and more ability as you get experience. good luck

Latest posts

Back