Waxing phd

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiedrew

Reaction score
Hi

Do you find the wax for a phd system takes ages to warm up. And then, often it is thick and drags on the skin. I wasn't trained with the phd I bought it as I find spreading wax hard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes I do. I liked it up until about a year ago, then I bought a new batch of tea tree waxes, and I just haven't been able to get on with. I have now gone back to pot and spatula.
This doesn't mean its no good I think I just lost faith in it.
Contact Ellisons (although they weren't very helpful to me).

I tried the PHD system at a local salon I did some freelance work for and thought that I would give it a try for a half leg I was doing. Got part way through the first leg and went back to my good old trusty pot and spat.

I found with the phd like you said you can only get a little on the leg before it cools down and starts to drag so you have to work very very quickly to wrap something round the bloody container cos it gets so hot and then to get the front of the leg covered before putting the tube back into the machine to warm again. The tubes are so very small that it does cool quickly.

I use the PHD Waxing system and really like it - it's nice and doesn't smell like the wax pot I previously used - but yes i do agree it take longer to heat up, I always start my pot at 10 once hot i turn it down to 7. The training is handy but I think they do a dvd so saves on travel etc. :)

I also use PhD and really like it for all the reasons mentioned previously (Aquarius). Haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned above. I have noticed a difference between the application of honey wax and creme wax, but haven't tried the tea tree wax yet.

I would definitely get training and there is a DVD too which is very useful - I use it for reference. Give Ellisons a call.

hi

i also have the same problem with the PHD system we had a lovely lady come into our collage to demonstrate the system to us and it was brilliant,

so about 10 of us purchased one as it was discounted to us as we were a large group and we were told we would get free training and a certificate a great deal all round,

when it arrived i had a go on my mums legs and was highly dissapointed with the results, when i went into collage the other girls were feeling the same this was back in oct it is now may and we still havent had our training

i have given up and now have pot and spat which i feel a lot more confident with as we train with this metod in collage xxxx

hi

i also have the same problem with the PHD system we had a lovely lady come into our collage to demonstrate the system to us and it was brilliant,

so about 10 of us purchased one as it was discounted to us as we were a large group and we were told we would get free training and a certificate a great deal all round,

when it arrived i had a go on my mums legs and was highly dissapointed with the results, when i went into collage the other girls were feeling the same this was back in oct it is now may and we still havent had our training

i have given up and now have pot and spat which i feel a lot more confident with as we train with this metod in collage xxxx

Didn't you get a Training Voucher in the kit? When I got mine originally it had a voucher for the training included.

I used to use it - thats what I trained with originally, but now I'm a sticks (pot & spatula) guy and Hive Rollers for the legs.

Mat

I trained on PHD and it was all i ever used and i had a go with pot and spatula and didn't like it. Then i had training with Kim and used Perron Rigot wax with a metal spatula and i was converted!
I never thought i would change from PHD.
I will say that the wax doesn't seem to get that hot. Honey wax heats to a higher temperature than creme waxes which is why it goes on better. The applicator heads do tend to get clogged if you don't work quickly.
I would have my pot on 10 and keep it on ten. Whilst you are waxing you are supposed to put the wax tube into the booster chamber at the front. This keeps the tube at a 45 degree angle so that the wax doen't travel back down the tube and flows out better but i could never keep it warm enough in the booster chamber and always used to keep it in the back chambers-naughty me!
Whilst i was waiting for my new wax pots and wax to be delivered i was hating using the PHD because i had found something better!

Angelina, I wondered if the heads clogged because they get cool? When they come out of the little "well" they are all nice and warm. The first leg is fine and then when I get to the second leg that is when I experience clogging. I know that with the honey wax you can wax both legs at once (which I have done without a problem) but with the cream you can't. What do you think - other than using another head I don't know how to get around the problem?

I've used it for over a year now, I did have the Ellisons training, but so long as you allow the machine to heat up for at least 20 minutes on 10, then turn down to 7 or 8 then it's fine. And yes, the tea tree wax is very thick, stick to the honey wax.

Thanks for the tip on the teatree wax, I didn't know that it was thick.

The applicators should be kept in the system to keep them warm. Wax strips in the one side and applicator heads in the other.
The wax just doesn't go on thinly enough for my liking.
When the wax does get hot the tube is too hot too hold and you have to use a hand protector.
You should easily be able to do 2 legs. You need to keep the wax tube at the same angle. Also are you wiping the applicator? Apply wax and then shut the gate on the applicator, then wipe it with a wax strip and put it in the chamber till you need to apply more wax.

Thanks for the tip on the teatree wax, I didn't know that it was thick.

The tea tree wax should not be thick. It should go on the same as the honey wax but because the honey wax heats to a higher temperature you can apply to larger areas before you need to remove.

I do everything that you say and the heating up the same as Teresa - keeping the heads warm prior to use and using the booster chamber, closing the gate and wiping the head. Perhaps I am not quick enough. The clogging doesn't happen all the time. Perhaps I need to perfect my technique a bit more. Other than the occasional clogging I am very happy with PhD and wouldn't go back to using spatulars for waxing legs, bikinis or under arms.

Forgot to say with regard to the heads getting cool, once out of the side pocket they cool down. It can't be avoided. I agree though that the booster chamber is definitely not has hot at the back chamber. I have found that if I do one leg and then the other rather than both together this is when I get the clogging. I don't have a problem with the wax going on too thickly, I find that it goes on finely.

I do just think that it is one of the problems with the phd. The tube is constantly out of the heat chamber whilst using so it is going to cool and get thick no matter what.
When using a pot and spatula you only take the wax you need to use, the rest stays in the pot and keeps at a constant temperature.
With phd, you are taking it out of the heat chamber, back in the chamber, in, out, therefore it doesn't stay at a constant temperature and cools when you are doing larger areas. Obviously as it cools it gets thicker and is harder to apply and the heads can get clogged.
When i used to use phd, it wasn't unusual for me to use 2 applicator heads for a client when i was doing a larger area.
I now use cristal ocean with a metal spatula and my god the difference. Goes on so thin that i only use 1 strip per front leg when removing.
Madamgooch,whereabouts in the uk are you?
If you are anywhere near me then you are more than welcome to come and have a look at my waxes and have a try :)

Latest posts

Back