Waxing pregnant clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi all

I had a voicemail yesterday from a lady (not an existing client) who is 35 weeks pregnant and wanted waxing (I don't know WHAT lol). When I called back I left a message saying I would call her today and in the meantime would check with my insurance company.

I'm insured with the Guild and they've said I won't be insured to wax any part of her body as she's so far gone. I was surprised at this as I've heard before that some pregnant women like bikini waxes before they are due to give birth.

Have any of you come across this? I must admit I've never waxed someone while they're pregnant before (it's just never come up) and I would be a bit scared doing intimate waxing on someone that far along. But at the end of the day she might just have wanted her underarms done or something!

I remember my tutor saying that "pregnant people aren't ill" and there was a girl who was six months pregnant on my waxing course. She had a basic bikini wax done on the course (as we all did) - and the tutor's an adviser to HABIA so knows what she's talking about.

Interested to hear your experiences/thoughts on this x

hiya iv never waxed anyone pregnant apart from their eyebrows mind you but never did bikini or that but think theres lots of woman who like their legs waxed and underarms as they can shave their legs due to big bump lol and theres no way they can shave bikini i would just do it as a normal client and not even think of their big bump only thing is if its intimate is getting their legs etc up and open and all the rest lol if your not confident or comfortable i would just say you have no space lol but try and look at it like another client xx

Hi lnr

Thanks for your comment. I think now I've discussed it with my insurance company and have been told I won't be insured there's no way I can wax her, even if I did feel more confident.

The guy I spoke to said that pregnancy was a contraindication to waxing full stop, and that I could ask her to provide a doctor's note saying she could be waxed - but if I won't be insured anyway what's the point in that?!

It's just worried me because until now, IF a client had said they were pregnant during their waxing consultation (like I said it hasn't happened so far), were past their first trimester and not just about to drop, I would've just gone ahead - particularly if they were regular waxers! I only checked re insurance on this occasion because she was 35 wks x

hi there,

as far as i know it is definetly ok to wax pregnant ladies , ive been a wax tech for many years and specialize in female intimate waxing. ive done many many pregnant clients up till they were 38 weeks! the things you do need to know about this are:

*the skin of a pregnant lady is a lot more sensitive(due to different hormone levels) and is more likely to hurt more. so be aware you'l need to protect the skin prior (depilatory oil or powder) at all times , anywhere you wax!

*also you need to be aware of the state of your client , and if she is well rested and calm , cause if she is not aware of the pain or is scared ,her bloodpressure is more likely to rise during the treatment. you'll need to position your client semi-up and gently talk her trough the treatment, calming here.

* last but not least when you provide intimate waxing on a pregnant client the position of the client needs to be at all times comfortable to her! yet manageable for you. when you do the back side she turn on her side her bottom leg straight and her top leg pulled towards her tummy and she hold her bum check for you, when that side is done she moves (slowly) to the other sid and does the same.

As im living in Holland i can not give any feedback on what you should do with the insurance part of it, im sure your client will understand if you explain it to her. or otherwise you could let her sign an own risc kind of contract thingy im sure you can find a lot of templates of those online.

hope this helped.

i think all insurances are different so yours is not willing to cover you because its a it like hair some people think oh never colour if under three months even though its ok i wouldnt feel comfortable because she so far in her pregnancy especially doing a bikini wax xxx

Really? I wax right up until their waters break:) x

haha that made me laugh kim no wonder your the wax queen lol il send them all to you if they come to me ;)

OMG I've waxed plenty of pregnant women (intimate) and never thought that I may not be insured.. I've always had mine done while pregnant, in fact I am now 33 weeks pregnant and was waxed just before christmas and am booked in for middle of feb just before my baby is born. I do find it a lot more painful especially as my waxer uses strip wax and I only use non strip for intimate areas, but we just go slower and I don't have a full hollywood. As I use non-strip most of my clients can continue to have hollywoods, I'm just take a little more time and always make sure there comfortable. I better check with my insurance company I think.

OMG I've waxed plenty of pregnant women (intimate) and never thought that I may not be insured.. I've always had mine done while pregnant, in fact I am now 33 weeks pregnant and was waxed just before christmas and am booked in for middle of feb just before my baby is born. I do find it a lot more painful especially as my waxer uses strip wax and I only use non strip for intimate areas, but we just go slower and I don't have a full hollywood. As I use non-strip most of my clients can continue to have hollywoods, I'm just take a little more time and always make sure there comfortable. I better check with my insurance company I think.

I know! It seems everyone who normally gets waxed continues when they're pregnant, and I've yet to meet a therapist who wouldn't wax a pregnant person. On my NVQ training the tutor said it was fine, and - without wanting to put words in her mouth - I did intimate waxing with Kim Lawless and I'm sure she said it was fine too.

Insurance companies need to get with the programme lol x

Really? I wax right up until their waters break:) x

Haha, so would i! I had a lady that wad having a c section the next day.. I don't see anything wrong with it!

It makes me laugh when people say that it could cause them to go into labour. If that was the case, they'd ALL be getting waxed:) xx

Perhaps the Insurance Company are wary about insuring for waxing due to gestational diabetes???

Anyway I'm with Kim - if I thought a good old waxing in the nether regions would bring on labour I would have been waxed like a shot - as it was I went over up to a fortnight with all my boys :eek:

Thanks for all your feedback guys!

It would be interesting to hear what some of the other insurance companies say (I'm with The Guild). x

I only waxed a pregnant client of mine on Friday and never thought if I would be covered or not by my insurance. She is only 6 weeks and as i explained the first 12 weeks are when problems may occur and if anything were to go wrong with her pregnancy she may think it had something to do with being waxed. I asked her if she wanted to wait but she wanted it doing. I am with Salon Gold and have rung them today to confirm the situation, they said I am fully covered as long as I have followed the manufacturers instruction. I am using salon systems cream wax at the moment, am I supposed to contact them and ask ??? I'm a bit confused. I'm guessing they will say ask your insurance.

Hi everyone, sorry to butt in but im not qualified in waxing & dont no much about it.
Ive had it done a few times a couple of years ago but never kept it up and i have now found out i am pregnant with 2nd baby (im about 6 weeks gone)
Im wanting to get in to the habit of being waxed but as it has been said, will it hurt much more now im pregnant? It hurt like hell before!
I would be a hollywood girl if i was to have it done but i dont no whether to just go for it or start with a basic bikini wax and gradually build up the courage for the full whammy!?
Would want it for my holiday then again near birth, worth doing? Thanks
(sorry to just jump in again)

haha could you imagine if it did infact make them go into labour we'd all be mega rich over night with a queue round the block!

am really shocked by this and will have to check with my insurers tomo now as ive always waxed pregnant ladies and thought nothing of it plus ive been waxed throughout both my pregnancies and when i was overdue too and well it did nothing to help the little man come out lol

It wouldn't have even occurred to me to call The Guild when I waxed my pregnant client a few weeks ago. Pregnancy is what ladies were made for, it is not an illness. Being a nurse with delivery experience unless there is an underlying medical condition, gestational diabetes, placenta praevia I wouldn't have considered there may be a problem.

I'm delighted to say that my lady has had a baby boy - who was born at 33 weeks but still some 3 weeks after her wax so it's nothing to do with me. I did also wax someone rather well known just a very short time (days) before she delivered.

I hope that one of the insurers bobs on to give us all some advice.

That's really weird they saying you wouldn't be covered eh?

I have actually never waxed a pregnant lady. I am trained in Kim's way. Would you just do it the same way? I haven't ever been pregnant either so don't know much about what positions you can get in and whatnot.

emm have tidied up lots of heavily pregnant woman with no problems. i think you have to use your discression a lot in this business , if you were to go with what the insurance said each and every time you would have very few clients.

That's really weird they saying you wouldn't be covered eh?

I have actually never waxed a pregnant lady. I am trained in Kim's way. Would you just do it the same way? I haven't ever been pregnant either so don't know much about what positions you can get in and whatnot.

I did it exactly as Kim trained me, no problems with positioning at all....x

Latest posts

Back