Waxing Question#1 - how do you get all the hair off in one go?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
As you may know I offer waxing more out of duress than love. I am getting better at and I know I have a negative mindset which doesn't help BUT yesterday I had a lady who had very hairy legs and the hair was quite coarse. When I pulled the strips off not all the hair came out, so I had to wax some areas a second time and the rest came out, except a few stubbies that I think were too short anyway. She said she hadn't had this problem before so I am guessing it was down to my technique. Obviously this is not a great impression to give a client, but also sooooo not cost effective both in time and products.

So can someone help with a few waxing secrets? Pleeeease!

Is it a case of the thinner the layer of wax the better?
Could I maybe not pulling the strip hard enough to completely get the hairs out first time? I do make sure I pull back on itself rather than an upwards motion.

It is really only half legs that I have this problem with, and ocasionally the bikini area, where it is obviously not possible to wax again so I have to tweeze - the rest I am fine with.
( i use the Australian Bodycare tea tree creme wax system, and I know it's a good system so it is down to my technique somewhere that things aren't going right!)

Thank you

Not sure if I should add to this as I'm not actually qualified,
But In college and In my notes, the main reasons for all of the hair not coming off in one go are ....
Wax too warm/runny,
Skin not pulled taught enough,
Obvious one as you said ,about the short hairs,
Ingrowing hairs,
and The direction when you pull the strip off, yep back on its self is right, rather that upwards,

was this an area where some of the hairs grew in slight different directions to the rest sass, ?
I have this just as I get to the sides of my lower leg, a few of the hairs grow in a different direction to the others (which is sort of sideways, some grow straight down)

As said this is what I have in my portfolio, other peeps will know more x

you could be right about the hair cycle as some hairs might not be long enough but you can always tweeze these. the other trick is to put your used wax strip on the area and rub it then try again. i do use the tweezers tho myself
ask away as have just done a waxing course
pm if you need

Here's what I do Sass.

Cover the entire shin with a thin layer of wax. Cover quickly from under the knee to the ankle. Then take your wax strip and leaving a couple of inches clean to hold, start at the ankle and working upwards. I place, the strip on, rub firmly back and forth and then rip the strip off quickly (don't hesitate), pulling NOT straight upwards but towards the knee. Remove all the wax in he same way................you should only use at most 2 strips. Then look all over and where there is any hair left, just go over that area in the same way.

When doing the areas at the side of the shin, place the strip inwards like a herringbone.

Knee: Always include the knee whether it's top or lower half leg. Bend the knee and cover entirely with thin wax and put a lot of pressure on before you rip off.

Sorry, I'd like to add this as an aside to all waxers.

Waxing is your bread and butter. Nothing will make a client run for the hills more than a bad waxer. They'll talk about how much it hurt to their friends, how they felt stubble a couple of days later (hair broken off instead of waxed from the root) and how they need to find a better waxer. Before you know it, they'll find someone else and that someone will also do their nails and other beauty treatments.

You must perfect your waxing skills and it'll make you a lot of money, you'll begin to enjoy it and your clients will love you forever.

Thank you all - yes this particular client did have areas where the hairs wher going in all directiosn so that really didn't help, and she said she had only Immc'd them a week ago - although the growth looked more like six weeks so there was hair that just wouldn't have been picked up - quite a lot thought and I'd have been there all day if I'd tried to tweeze it out. i did explain to her about the hair growth cycle and how she will probably get regrowth really quickly for the next 3 waxes or so - she says she gets this anyway.

Kimmi do you find that really rubbing, expecially with stubborn hair helps more? Also when you say apply to the shin do you mean apply to one stripe down the leg, remove wax and then apply to the next stripe. i amd at teh stge now where I apply the wax to the complete half leg on both sides and then remove the wax with teh strip. Again with coarses hair is this not a good idea, or will it not make any difference?

I so want to get this cracked!

You must perfect your waxing skills and it'll make you a lot of money, you'll begin to enjoy it and your clients will love you forever.

hence the gazillion (well 4!) threads in a row as I know I want to be proficient at this :green:! I have to say most clients have said that it doesn't hurt as much, and they are the clients actually that I have had no problems with. It's just the REALLY hairy ones that I seem to struggle with (again not so much with pain, just not getting the hairs out first time), and yet I know they have had warm waxing before with no problems, so i know that my technique is to blame.

No, I mean cover the entire shin. Yes, rubbing helps a great deal but it's not how many times, it's the pressure. use the heel of your hand and get in a routine..............strip on.........rub rub rub..........rip. Next strip.

Don't worry about hair growing in different direction until you've removed all the wax, then you'll see the ones that are left behind and you can wax in a different direction.

ah maybe that's it then I don't apply much pressure - I'll give that a try and see if it solves it! Is this the same for all areas of waxing? ( I know it's a silly question, but I had to ask!). Also when I rub I tend to get wax on me too, but I use my fingers, do you find that by using the heel of your hand that it helps be less messy too? Sorry loads of questions I know but I am a newbie waxer and i want to be good at it, even if it's not my favourite treatment. As you say it's my bread and butter and I HAVE TO be good at it!

As a sugarer and not a waxer I am not sure whether this will work for you Sass, but what I do with hairier ladies is apply my sugar paste with hair growth, then against it and with hair growth again. This just ensures that all the coarse hair gets covers. As Kimmi has said give it a good firm rub two or threee times, make sure the skin is real taut and whack that strip of.

Sassy Im with Brow Queen all the way, I put on the strip and rub it very firmly - perhaps you are being a bit too delicate, give it a try. I find that for people with weak and easy to wax hair - I dont need to rub so firmly but if I have someone it with coarser hair I automatically apply a bit more pressure . Let us know how you get on.:)

If i remember correctly,i remember Andy showing us when you get stray hairs or stubborn hairs to put on the "shiny" side of the wax and that gets out the hairs...again Perron Rigot...:green::lol:....but i tell you it worked a dream,and hardly if any erythema:!:

If i remember correctly,i remember Andy showing us when you get stray hairs or stubborn hairs to put on the "shiny" side of the wax and that gets out the hairs...again Perron Rigot...:green::lol:....but i tell you it worked a dream,and hardly if any erythema:!:
You sure he didn't put the shiny side on the get rid of excess wax?

You sure he didn't put the shiny side on the get rid of excess wax?

Yes, you're right (sorry Gabi!). To remove stubborn or short hairs you put the wax on against the direction of growth then remove with the direction of growth - opposite way round to normal.

Yes, you're right (sorry Gabi!). To remove stubborn or short hairs you put the wax on against the direction of growth then remove with the direction of growth - opposite way round to normal.
:smack:....i apologise...just shoot me...:lol:

ah maybe that's it then I don't apply much pressure - I'll give that a try and see if it solves it! Is this the same for all areas of waxing? ( I know it's a silly question, but I had to ask!). Also when I rub I tend to get wax on me too, but I use my fingers, do you find that by using the heel of your hand that it helps be less messy too? Sorry loads of questions I know but I am a newbie waxer and i want to be good at it, even if it's not my favourite treatment. As you say it's my bread and butter and I HAVE TO be good at it!
You definately need to give a good firm rub. I do it 3 times with the palm of my hand.
Waxing principals are the same for anywhere.
Once you get the hand of it you'll love it, so quick and such a good money earner.

Here's what I do Sass.

Cover the entire shin with a thin layer of wax. Cover quickly from under the knee to the ankle. Then take your wax strip and leaving a couple of inches clean to hold, start at the ankle and working upwards.

Ellooo!

I would personally start from the kneww and work downwards when pulling off the strips, it means you wont get stringy sticky wax flying ewverywhere. much cleaner.
:)

Ellooo!

I would personally start from the kneww and work downwards when pulling off the strips, it means you wont get stringy sticky wax flying ewverywhere. much cleaner.
:)

How do you stretch the skin this way? And how do you avoid getting wax down the whole length of the strip? It sounds like a good way of doing it to avoid strings of wax, but I just can't visualise it. Please help!!

How do you stretch the skin this way? And how do you avoid getting wax down the whole length of the strip? It sounds like a good way of doing it to avoid strings of wax, but I just can't visualise it. Please help!!

Ditto, I'd do anything to be less messy!

Latest posts

Back