Waxing question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellasmum

Reaction score
Hiya,

I would like to ask all of you a question re waxing, I am a beauty student and will be doing waxing very soon but would really like to know the difference between all the different wax types?????

I have seen, hot wax,warm wax,cream wax etc etc and just kinda jumping the gun but would like to be put out of my misery.

Also I will be going to GMEX and if there is some offers on the waxing kits (Would like to go with HIVE) may buy one but which one????:eek::eek:

SO, can you tell me what wax is used for what or what you use? I want a 1000cc Hive wax heater but dont know which wax is used for what. I know I will eventually get told at college but I am a real Eager Beaver!!!!!:green:

Sam XX

Hi Sam - hope this helps:

Cold wax - sold primarily for home use. Paper or fabric strips are pre-coated with cold sticky wax and warmed between the hands before applying. Some shops also sell cold wax in a tube or pot, which is gel-like in consistency and is spread onto the skin before removing with a strip. You can buy these kits from Boots and Superdrug etc (and after using one you'll never resent paying to get waxed in a salon again!).

Warm wax – a.k.a. strip wax or soft wax, plus honey, gel or cream wax (depending on consistency and ingredients). Warm wax is heated in a pot or roller unit, then applied to the skin with a spatula, roller or disposable tube, and removed with paper or fabric strips. You can also get microwaveable versions for home use... not recommended, as you can end up with hot spots and burns if not careful!

Hot wax – a.k.a. non-strip or stripless wax, hard wax, film wax, and Brazilian wax. Traditional hot wax is applied in a thick layer or built up over several layers, usually in a figure-of-eight pattern to ensure a good coating of the hairs. It is left to cool on the skin and then removed by hand. The wax "shrinkwraps" each hair as it hardens, taking the hair with it when removed. Hot wax used to recycled by reheating and straining through a sieve, but nowadays it's thrown away after removal.

Newer hot waxes are cooler in temperature, go on much thinner and in one direction (no figure-of-eight needed), and stay flexible as they cool – these new generation waxes are sometimes called hard wax or film wax to distinguish them from the traditional high-temperature hot waxes mentioned above. Hot waxes are particularly effective at shifting short, coarse and stubborn hairs, but can be tricky to master and may extend your treatment time as they need to cool before removing. Many people like using them for the bikini area, underarms and facial waxing.

Sugar paste – primarily a mixture of sugar, water and lemon juice, the paste comes in two varieties: strip sugar and hand sugar. Strip sugar is heated in a pot similar to warm wax, and is applied and removed with fabric strips in the same way. The temperature tends to be lower than with wax, and ingredients are totally natural and water soluble. Moom and Nads are variations on strip sugaring, with slightly different ingredients (Nads does not need heating). Hand sugaring involves spreading a semi-solid ball of sugar paste over the skin, then quickly flicking in the opposite direction to remove the hair.

Heater - the Hive 1000cc heater is what I use at the salon - it comes with a removable inner bucket which allows you to decant hard wax pellets or bricks into it, plus you can insert tins of soft wax directly into the heater itself. The only thing to watch out for is if you plan on using small tubs of wax (450g and under) as they tend to get lost in the bottom of the heater! In these instances you would need to first empty the wax from the small tubs into an inner bucket (you can buy spares if needed) or use a smaller heater.

:D Andy x

Andy, you are quite the star. Thanks so much for that comprehensive guide to wax for wallys like me. LOL
Sam X

wow andy fab post thanks ! im also doingg a wax course next week and found this very handy as im doing sugaring too !!lovely stuff chick!!

Hi Sam - hope this helps:

Cold wax - sold primarily for home use. Paper or fabric strips are pre-coated with cold sticky wax and warmed between the hands before applying. Some shops also sell cold wax in a tube or pot, which is gel-like in consistency and is spread onto the skin before removing with a strip. You can buy these kits from Boots and Superdrug etc (and after using one you'll never resent paying to get waxed in a salon again!).

Warm wax – a.k.a. strip wax or soft wax, plus honey, gel or cream wax (depending on consistency and ingredients). Warm wax is heated in a pot or roller unit, then applied to the skin with a spatula, roller or disposable tube, and removed with paper or fabric strips. You can also get microwaveable versions for home use... not recommended, as you can end up with hot spots and burns if not careful!

Hot wax – a.k.a. non-strip or stripless wax, hard wax, film wax, and Brazilian wax. Traditional hot wax is applied in a thick layer or built up over several layers, usually in a figure-of-eight pattern to ensure a good coating of the hairs. It is left to cool on the skin and then removed by hand. The wax "shrinkwraps" each hair as it hardens, taking the hair with it when removed. Hot wax used to recycled by reheating and straining through a sieve, but nowadays it's thrown away after removal.

Newer hot waxes are cooler in temperature, go on much thinner and in one direction (no figure-of-eight needed), and stay flexible as they cool – these new generation waxes are sometimes called hard wax or film wax to distinguish them from the traditional high-temperature hot waxes mentioned above. Hot waxes are particularly effective at shifting short, coarse and stubborn hairs, but can be tricky to master and may extend your treatment time as they need to cool before removing. Many people like using them for the bikini area, underarms and facial waxing.

Sugar paste – primarily a mixture of sugar, water and lemon juice, the paste comes in two varieties: strip sugar and hand sugar. Strip sugar is heated in a pot similar to warm wax, and is applied and removed with fabric strips in the same way. The temperature tends to be lower than with wax, and ingredients are totally natural and water soluble. Moom and Nads are variations on strip sugaring, with slightly different ingredients (Nads does not need heating). Hand sugaring involves spreading a semi-solid ball of sugar paste over the skin, then quickly flicking in the opposite direction to remove the hair.

Heater - the Hive 1000cc heater is what I use at the salon - it comes with a removable inner bucket which allows you to decant hard wax pellets or bricks into it, plus you can insert tins of soft wax directly into the heater itself. The only thing to watch out for is if you plan on using small tubs of wax (450g and under) as they tend to get lost in the bottom of the heater! In these instances you would need to first empty the wax from the small tubs into an inner bucket (you can buy spares if needed) or use a smaller heater.

:D Andy x
Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Could you please let me know what the optimum working temperature is for sugar paste, and is it the same for strip sugar?

Thanks again!
Claire

hi andy, can you tell me if you have heard of a foam wax? a client of mine said she gets a Brazilian done and the lady doing the waxing uses a foam wax,??? i never heard of this have you or anyone else????

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Could you please let me know what the optimum working temperature is for sugar paste, and is it the same for strip sugar?

Thanks again!
Claire

Hi Claire,

I'm not sure of the exact working temperatures but the sugar paste ball is usually applied straight from the tub without heating. It can be warmed ever-so-slightly to increase pliability if needed, but would still be cooler than body temperature. Strip sugar does need to be warmed in a heater before use in order to achieve a spreadable fluid consistency, but it is still used at a lower temp than most waxes.

Hope that helps a little :)

hi andy, can you tell me if you have heard of a foam wax? a client of mine said she gets a Brazilian done and the lady doing the waxing uses a foam wax,??? i never heard of this have you or anyone else????

Hi Megaone,

I haven't heard of foam wax, I'm afraid, although Ellisons do sell a pre-wax cleanser that has a foam texture. Would love to know more about it though, as it sounds really cool! Is it possible she meant "film" wax?

Andy x

I know this post is pretty old but can anyone send me in the right directions to find the ingredients in strip sugar please, I'm currently doing an essay for college and can't seem to find the answers anywhere, thanks

I know this post is pretty old but can anyone send me in the right directions to find the ingredients in strip sugar please, I'm currently doing an essay for college and can't seem to find the answers anywhere, thanks
Get in touch with a manufacturer of sugaring products or look for the label in a wholesalers?

Latest posts

Back