Waxing Reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchanting Beauty

Reaction score
Hi All.
A client of mine who has been having regular waxing with me for a while told me the other day that she has been getting marks every time after waxing. She has her underarms, forearms & half leg done every 4-5weeks.
The marks appear in different places every time. When she messaged me, she didn’t have marks on her left arm but did on her right, usually gets them on her underarms & occasionally on her legs. They don’t hurt, & I have checked if the wax is too hot for her & she says no.
She is on no medication except for contraceptive which she has always had.
When I waxed her on Friday 29th july she didn’t have her legs done as she had got badly sunburnt after only 20 mins in the sun. This happened on Sunday 24th july. When she messaged me on Saturday 30th july about the marks, she mentioned her legs had blistered!
She has also mentioned to me that she has been feeling a bit emotional & getting mad at people so was wondering if it is her hormones acting up, she’s of the age she could be peri menopausa.
I’ve never seen a reaction like this before & certainly none of my other clients has mentioned anything to me before so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Please see photo attached of her arm.
TIA

Attachments

• 826C39E8-D444-4449-AD45-5065D0770254.jpeg
    826C39E8-D444-4449-AD45-5065D0770254.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Looks so tender, but they often say it's not. There does look like some skin has slightly peeled off.

Could be a few things going on here.

I have had a few clients have this happen and they were definitely peri or menopausal. They are fine now after the menopause has passed, but with the ageing process their skin is becoming thinner. So puts them at increased risk. Also of note it is my very fair skinned clients that it happened to.

Recent illnesses can cause the skin to be more delicate, Covid is no exception.

Weight loss, causing the skin to be flaccid.
Dehydration for the same reason as above.

Excess heat could cause the wax to just be that bit more sticky than usual, I always throw loads more talc on when its hot.
Hope that gives you some food for thought and you don't worry too much, but if you're a worrier like me then you still will. 😟

I did suggest to my worst affected client that we suspend waxing until after the menopause and that seemed to be an acceptable solution. Her worst areas were the forearms and bikini line. HTH

Looks so tender, but they often say it's not. There does look like some skin has slightly peeled off.

Could be a few things going on here.

I have had a few clients have this happen and they were definitely peri or menopausal. They are fine now after the menopause has passed, but with the ageing process their skin is becoming thinner. So puts them at increased risk. Also of note it is my very fair skinned clients that it happened to.

Recent illnesses can cause the skin to be more delicate, Covid is no exception.

Weight loss, causing the skin to be flaccid.
Dehydration for the same reason as above.

Excess heat could cause the wax to just be that bit more sticky than usual, I always throw loads more talc on when its hot.
Hope that gives you some food for thought and you don't worry too much, but if you're a worrier like me then you still will. 😟

I did suggest to my worst affected client that we suspend waxing until after the menopause and that seemed to be an acceptable solution. Her worst areas were the forearms and bikini line. HTH
Thanks so much for your reply RosieR.
It does look really sore I agree. I have noticed the last couple of times I’ve waxed her arms, the skin looked like it was peeling before the wax (bit like after a sunburn) but funnily enough, not in the place she has the mark. Her legs & underarms don’t look like they’re peeling before waxing. So could be her skin is getting a bit fragile.
I haven’t noticed anything occurring at the time of treatment, & as I am usually with her for about 4-5 hours, with waxing being done first, I have never noticed a reaction during that time. She doesn’t even go particularly red & blotchy either!

Honestly, I never thought about illnesses. She has definitely had covid once if not twice so will see if she can remember this happening pre covid infection.

It is so hard not to get concerned but I think it has made it easier that she is such an easygoing client & isn‘t particularly bothered by it herself!!!

I forgot to add that strip wax also is the one that's more likely to cause the problem, is that what you're using?
I do use hard wax for facial areas when I am mobile which shrink wraps around the hairs upon cooling. Thus reduces the effect on the skin.
I couldn't be bothered with having 2 wax systems on the go in the salon as I am quicker with strip wax. My preferred choice obviously.

I forgot to add that strip wax also is the one that's more likely to cause the problem, is that what you're using?
I do use hard wax for facial areas when I am mobile which shrink wraps around the hairs upon cooling. Thus reduces the effect on the skin.
I couldn't be bothered with having 2 wax systems on the go in the salon as I am quicker with strip wax. My preferred choice obviously.
Yes, unfortunately I’m not trained in using hard wax but something to look into in the future.

Latest posts

Back