Waxing rules

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a email from the accreditation manager at babtac stating this !
However I'm sure Kim is more up to date on this as She has been dealing with this, my information is 2 months old

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app
Yes, I was notified just before Christmas so a lovely present.

Hi do you know if this is just going to apply to waxing or other treatments like lash and brow tinting?
I do think its a good thing but for those like me who did short courses years ago and have vast experience it's hard on and to carry on with part of my business will have to payout more money!
I won't answer anymore questions on this as I'm no expert on this subject, I just hate the thought of people worrying over the weekend.

The way that I understand it is that it applies to all fields of beauty, from facials to tanning etc, regardless of who the training company was.

If the course that you're going to do from 2014 isn't of Level 2 standard then they won't insure it so you'll be wasting your money. If you did your training before 2014 you will be ok but best to call your insurer and check with them.

That's really good news Kim you deserve it ! Mandy can't wait to come back and do her male extreme wax course with you, things have been quite busy what with one thing and another and funny enough Hollywoods have really taken off thanks to you.

To answer the question about if it will affect all aspects if beauty?

Yes it will and changing insurance companies will make no difference.

Thanks Kim. Am doing your wax courses this year anyway but was about to book on a Russian technique lash course... Will need to research a little further now though!

Yeah I think we all need to be a bit more careful from now on.

On with the new year!

X

A salon I worked in did bikinis and high bikinis . But when I did a refresher waxing course they said that I wouldn't be covered for this ! ?? Agree very grey area ! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Can anyone clarify is this is only according to BABTAC or all insurance companies? Thx

If you mean being insured to do Brazilians with just basic waxing you need to check with your own insurance company.

If you mean the level 2 minimum, I think that is across the board.

Vicki

We have been told by BABTAC that this will be the same with all insurance companies, due to the fact of trying to self regulate the industry.
This information came from the accreditation manager of BABTAC

Regards

So has anyone other than BABTAC actully said this new insurance self regulation is definatley going ahead?

I've just emailed my insurance provider to find out their position on this & check if any of my qualifications will need renewal or upgrading and if so by when.

So has anyone other than BABTAC actully said this new insurance self regulation is definatley going ahead?

I've just emailed my insurance provider to find out their position on this & check if any of my qualifications will need renewal or upgrading and if so by when.

Let us know what they say please baggybear!

I'd love to hear too and will be checking with mine. BABTAC are great but surely this should be legislative not insurance company led.

First of all, the advice to check with your individual insurer regarding qualifications is correct, as all policies are different.

For the record, the changes being made by BABTAC are NOT industry wide and will not be affecting the Guild. Our policy on qualifications remains the same, so the statement that this will be the same with all insurance companies is simply not the case.

BABTAC are one single insurance company and cannot regulate any of the others. Any changes they choose to make are purely internal and there are no givernment regulations to enforce this.

We have been answering enquiries on this subject for some time, and have put together a page of the most frequently asked questions which should help to clarify some of the issues: Beauty Guild : News - Beauty Guild

This is the reply I got (from Salon Gold):

Thank you for your email.

We are not aware of this regulation & at this stage we have no intentions to make this requirement.

We would require you to hold a UK recognised and accredited qualification in the treatments you are looking to offer. An NVQ is not required if you are only offering spray tanning for example.

Please note that some treatments do require a higher qualification but you would be advised of this if you wanted to add this onto the policy. An example of this would be adding on IPL treatment, you would need to hold an NVQ2 in beauty also along with the manufactures training.

Any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

So NOT all insurance companies will be involved in this and so those of us not covered by BABTAC don't need to worry as we can carry on getting cover as normal.

Hi All,

We have only just spotted this thread, but wanted to clarify the situation as there is a lot of conflicting information. As a number of people have said, it is always worth checking with your insurance company individually, as the information provided to one person does not necessarily apply to another; not all the statements on this thread are correct, so please let us clarify.

First, to address the original question about waxing from you @HazelEyes; we cannot speak for all insurers, however from our perspective, the issue of waxing is clear. If you would like to carry out ‘standard’ or basic waxing techniques, you will need a level 2 qualification or equivalent in order to obtain insurance from us. The same applies to intimate waxing as we require a separate qualification or approved CPD course in order to insure you. From a BABTAC perspective, in-house training will not count for insurance purposes. Under our guidelines, basic waxing includes using warm or hot wax for: Underarms, Full Leg, Eyebrows, Upper Lip and Bikini Line only. For anything beyond the bikini line, it is classed as intimate waxing and requires a second qualification.

Kim Lawless Speed Waxing and Intimate Waxing courses are both accredited by us; if you would like to get insurance with us for intimate waxing, we would recommend saving up for her course :)

Clarifying our position on other things:

The issue of our changing standards, regulation and insurance have all become muddled together on the thread, so for clarity here is our official statement:

At BABTAC, as a Professional Association, we are working to safeguard and improve the beauty industry, for the benefit of both our practitioners and the public. Advisory input with the BSI, submissions and debate with The Review on Cosmetic Interventions and BABTAC’s own Corporate Taskforces, have highlighted a need for change within the industry, and as a result we have taken an individual decision to update our policy for the benefit of our members and the wider industry.

There are currently three core needs for the industry: increased standards of training; increased recognition from the public; and a drive towards an accountable and independent method of regulation.

As a single body in a large industry, we do not presume to dictate to the industry as a whole; however we can and are working to support and promote our members. On the 1st January, we implemented policy updates in order to meet the three industry needs, which come at the end of a year when the industry has been thrust under greater Government and public scrutiny; we introduced the following:

• In response to public concerns over specific treatments: increased minimum training standards have been implemented across the board which members must meet in order to gain insurance or extensions; this is not a new undertaking, but a revised benchmark. New members will be expected to meet these standards from January 2014; existing members will also need to meet these standards, but will have 24 months to up-skill if they do not already meet them

• In response to demands from members: we have introduced a new tier of recognised training, enabling therapists to choose more effectively and spend time and money more wisely on reputable, high-quality training courses. This new categorisation will only affect courses taken from the 1st January 2014

• In response to industry-wide insurance claims and feedback: additional checks for accredited training providers and introduction of some new pre-requisites for therapists will help to ensure public safety is not compromised at any time

The key benefit of these changes is that it enables us to further promote our members to the public and be assured that our standards are the highest benchmark in the industry.

Considering regulation:

Our objective is for BABTAC to continue to lead the way in setting high standards for the industry, as well as supporting the move towards industry self-regulation. At this stage, many of our competitors have been reluctant to enter into dialogue about self-regulation due to fears that it will undermine their credibility; our argument is that without a drive for self-regulation, we potentially face the prospect of being centrally regulated by the Government, who have little in-depth understanding of the industry. Self-regulation enables us to take control of our own destiny and create an industry image which we can be proud of.

It is worth noting that these changes come at the end of much consultation with industry partners and providers; we have questioned and listened to numerous manufacturers, awarding bodies and employers on these issues and also ask them about their industry expectations and the assurances they need. In this way, our changes benefit the whole industry, not just our members.

At this stage, we do not believe that any of our competitors are raising their standards, and whilst we respect their decisions, we question its rationality given the recent public and government scrutiny of the industry. We are really proud of our move towards even higher standards and believe that it can only benefit the industry in the long-term.

A comment from our Chair Carolyne Cross, clarifies this statement; “We have spent a lot of time considering the proposed changes making sure increased standards help improve the industry, without being unobtainable. BABTAC has always been at the top of the industry, providing the highest possible standards for 36years, but the time has come to push these higher again in response to feedback from the public, the Government and our members. We cannot and will not dictate industry wide standards, but we can set expectations for our members and help make sure they are the best in the industry; this is our objective and we’re delighted that feedback so far has been really positive!”

Answering your specific comments:

@Decadence – Lots of really great comments throughout, however there is a need for clarity on a couple of points:

• We are working with a number of industry partners and actively campaigning for industry regulation, however at this stage, it is not mandatory. All our members are updated regularly on our progress in our magazine, Vitality, or you can email [email protected] for specific updates
• Yes, we are asking for minimum Level 2 qualifications, however it isn’t as simple as that. The premise behind this is to ensure that standards are improving, but we do have a list of equivalent qualifications which will be accepted. “Level 2” is the easiest way to describe it, but it will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, also taking into account past experience, CPD etc. We advise anyone who is unsure to ring the membership team on 01452 623110 (Option 1) or email [email protected]
• Looking at your specific response (#11), can you email us at [email protected] with your membership number and query and we will review your membership specifically.

@Haylez250 – as we have said earlier in our post, this is only our changes and not everyone else’s. That said, we will take past experience into account, hence our ‘or equivalent’. The therapists most affected will be those just entering the industry, who will need to undertake high-quality training which meets current guidelines

@Divine H & B – in our case, this will apply to all courses, not just waxing. If you are worried about whether you will be eligible for insurance with us, then please call the membership team on 01452 623110 (Option 1)

@notsonewgeek – we would like it to be legislative in the long-term to protect the reputations of all the wonderful therapists in the industry, however there is a long way to go until this will be possible. In the meantime, we are leading the way as a Professional Association and working to improve the expectations of the industry

We hope that clarifies things :)

So NOT all insurance companies will be involved in this and so those of us not covered by BABTAC don't need to worry as we can carry on getting cover as normal.
That's correct BB. So although you trained with me, you can choose your own insurance company as has always been the case. x

Nice to have it all early explained!
I suppose other insurance companies may follow suit in the future- makes sense!

Blimey, if an NVQ is the be all and end all, God help the industry!!! Haha!

So in summary

If you have a question or concern regarding your insurance or acceptability, for insurance purposes, of any of your qualifications…speak to your insurance provider!

Which is what everyone should be doing anyway as nothing written on an online forum constitutes legal advice :)

Latest posts

Back