Waxing - skin has scabbed over

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbones

Reaction score
Hi everyone - just after a bit of advice please with a waxing situation gone wrong :-(

I've been a qualified beauty therapist for a few years, I work full time in an office but carry out nail and eye treatments in my spare time. On Friday I waxed a friend's eyebrows and all seemed fine, a normal amount of pinkness to the skin which eased off after a few minutes.

This morning, my friend informs me that on Saturday the skin I'd waxed got a bit sore and formed small scabs in places. Naturally, I am a bit mortified by this!

I used wax for sensitive skin, it was definitely not too hot and I'm meticulous about hygiene so it can't be a cross-contamination issue.

This friend does have extremely dry skin on her forehead and what looks to be acne rosacea on her cheeks but I should stress this has not been medically diagnosed (she is off to the doctor this week as it's only flared up recently). However, the skin around her eyebrows was not showing as being dry or angry - and we've never had problems before when I've waxed her eyebrows. Infact, we joke that the skin always looks as if she hasn't even had them waxed, as there's barely any erythema.

Should I have completely avoided treatment on the basis that her skin is generally looking sore, even though the area treated was looking perfectly fine? Feel a bit daft for asking really but just after some advice or tips from anyone who has experienced similar! Thanks all :)

Hi everyone - just after a bit of advice please with a waxing situation gone wrong :-(

I've been a qualified beauty therapist for a few years, I work full time in an office but carry out nail and eye treatments in my spare time. On Friday I waxed a friend's eyebrows and all seemed fine, a normal amount of pinkness to the skin which eased off after a few minutes.

This morning, my friend informs me that on Saturday the skin I'd waxed got a bit sore and formed small scabs in places. Naturally, I am a bit mortified by this!

I used wax for sensitive skin, it was definitely not too hot and I'm meticulous about hygiene so it can't be a cross-contamination issue.

This friend does have extremely dry skin on her forehead and what looks to be acne rosacea on her cheeks but I should stress this has not been medically diagnosed (she is off to the doctor this week as it's only flared up recently). However, the skin around her eyebrows was not showing as being dry or angry - and we've never had problems before when I've waxed her eyebrows. Infact, we joke that the skin always looks as if she hasn't even had them waxed, as there's barely any erythema.

Should I have completely avoided treatment on the basis that her skin is generally looking sore, even though the area treated was looking perfectly fine? Feel a bit daft for asking really but just after some advice or tips from anyone who has experienced similar! Thanks all :)

If the forehead looked dry that is usually an indication to me that if I was wax the brows there is a chance, albeit slim, that the client will lose a sliver of skin.

When it doubt like this I use my hot wax.

If I didn't have hot wax I would tweeze.

Did you put a thin thin thin slick of oil under the wax because that will definatley help prevent this kind of thing happening.

Please don't worry, this really does happen to the best wexers at least once.

If it hasn't happened just once yet that is lovely - but it will happen :wink2:

Jacqui xx

Hi Jacqui - thanks for your reply, it's definitely reassured me. I try to remain confident in my abilities but when things like this happen they do tend to shake you a bit :sad:

I didn't consider putting a thin slick of oil on but will try that tip next time...I think my friend will trust me to wax her again!

Also I will invest in some good quality hot wax as I do find that it's a bit more flexible when waxing smaller areas - I think because I haven't been carrying out regular waxing treatments for a while I haven't reinvested in supplies as it's just the extra cost. But now I'm getting a few more clients in then it's worth the outlay...and worth the knowledge that it may avoid similar waxing disasters in future! xx

Hi Jacqui - thanks for your reply, it's definitely reassured me. I try to remain confident in my abilities but when things like this happen they do tend to shake you a bit :sad:

I didn't consider putting a thin slick of oil on but will try that tip next time...I think my friend will trust me to wax her again!

Also I will invest in some good quality hot wax as I do find that it's a bit more flexible when waxing smaller areas - I think because I haven't been carrying out regular waxing treatments for a while I haven't reinvested in supplies as it's just the extra cost. But now I'm getting a few more clients in then it's worth the outlay...and worth the knowledge that it may avoid similar waxing disasters in future! xx
I use Perron Rigot but other quality waxes include Berins and Lycon.

Make sure the oil is just a sheen or the wax will slide around all over the place lol.

Some clients seem to have a weakness on the bone under the brow and if it 'goes' for a second time I would change to the hot wax and always use it on that client in future.

Lots of geeks on this site use hot wax as a matter of course for all facial waxing, but I prefer Perron Rigot Crystal Ocean warm wax.

She's a good friend though eh xx :wink2:

Funnily enough I was going to look into Perron Rigot as I did a top-up wax course a couple of years ago and the trainer used their products. I thought they were fantastic - is there a distributor you'd recommend purchasing from?

Yes she is a good friend! Also dragged in to be my model for Shellac - I work with her too so she can't escape me really ;-)

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated x

Funnily enough I was going to look into Perron Rigot as I did a top-up wax course a couple of years ago and the trainer used their products. I thought they were fantastic - is there a distributor you'd recommend purchasing from?

Yes she is a good friend! Also dragged in to be my model for Shellac - I work with her too so she can't escape me really ;-)

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated x

Thalgo (0207 512 0872) are the distributors for Perron Rigot and I believe Ellisons.

Latest posts

Back