Waxing - talcum powder, yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondevondoll

Reaction score
Hi Geeks :)

I've been doing strip waxing for a number of years now.
And I was trained to apply talcum powder to help protect the skin from lifting, as well as help the wax grip on to the hairs, giving me a better wax.

This is the way I've always done this, however I know that some therapist don't use this method. Including a salon I worked at in the past (however they did receive a number of complaints about eyebrow skin lifting, and shortly ended up using the talcum powder method).
I've never trained in hot wax, but I am aware the method is slightly different in that area. I would just like to know, that when it comes to strip waxing. Do you use talcum powder or not? And what's your reason :)
Many thanks.

Most of the new waxes and trainers have dropped the talc and now use a tiny amount of oil. This creates an imperceptible barrier to protect from sticking to the skin.

The same oil can then be used to remove traces of sticky wax residue.

There are many on the market and I have found no real difference between them other than colour, fragrance and price so I just use a cheap unscented mineral oil http://neatwholesale.co.uk/shop/info_White_Mineral_Oil_BP_3600.html or search suppliers for pre-wax oil.

I use corn starch (medical grade) and I use it for both the strip and hot wax. I will not use anything else because I can't go wrong with the amount I apply when in a hurry. If more comes out I just dust it off :) I use oil at the end of the service.
Never had an issue and speaking from my bookings my clients love the method as they keep returning and prior to seeing me they were always unhappy because the tech hadn't used talc.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I'm another one for oil as I use perron rigot I love and use there jasmine oil x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Oil is the way to go…………however, it's a good idea to keep some talc in the salon for emergencies just in case you get a particularly sweaty client as this helps dry the skin.

Oil creates a barrier that protects the skin and makes the waxing less painful. The talc just dries the skin.

Can you use any oil or specific??

Can you use any oil or specific??

Generally mineral oil (or mineral oil based) as it doesn't absorb into the skin thereby an effective barrier.

Thank you so much everyone :)
I think I may try and give this oil method a go. I'm surprised to hear it works. I wouldn't have thought oil & wax went together.
I wanted to try an alternative as sometimes, I may go a little "talcum happy", making a mess of my towels.
X

The trick is using a truly tiny amount. If you can see glistening oil on the skin surface then you probably have too much on and the wax will slide of. If you put too much on just blot with tissue and try again.

Hi. I have been reading the above - v helpful thank you!
When I was trained in waxing I was told to pre cleanse & then talc. Can I do this before I use the Perron Rigot wax (hot & strip wax) and if so I am assuming I use before I apply the oil? If so does the talc not make the oil gloopy?!!! Thanks :)

Oil or talc not both.

Sorry another question! Which Perron Rigot strip wax do you recommend please? Also do you use the moisturizing milk and/refreshing gel? Thanks x

No problem I use Perron Rigot everything! :) from pre to post and including their paper strips and intimate wipes, Crystal Ocean is their best selling strip wax and also the one I use, it's very, very fluid and does take a little getting used to but it goes on soo thin! and I use a mix of milk & gel where I have waxed. Soothing and cooling at the same time!

Last edited:
Thank you so much! :)

No problem I use Perron Rigot everything! :) from pre to post and including their paper strips and intimate wipes, Crystal Ocean is their best selling strip wax and also the one I use, it's very, very fluid and does take a little getting used to but it goes on soo thin! and I use a mix of milk & gel where I have waxed. Soothing and cooling at the same time!

Ive been a Therapist for 20yrs now. And jave used talc since running into a few problems way back then. Im confident with it and it works for me. However times change and the oil sounds good too x

What pre wax oil do you all use please???

Latest posts

Back