Waxing tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanejayne

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been waxing since the beginning of Jan this year, only on friends and family to get some practice in.
Looking for a few tips...
1- sometimes I find the wax doesn't want to be removed when the strip is placed on. Leaving patches of wax left on the skin. I have put this down to the wax temp needed to go up?!? Could I also use a pre oil along with my pre wax for strip wax?
2- i had a lady a few weeks ago, the wax just matted in her bikini line, the hair was far to long, so I trimmed it down. Is this what you would do? But before you put the wax on!!
3- under arms... Wax in smaller sections due to hair growth directions?

If I think of anything else I'll post later on!!
I want to be a "perfect" waxer, which is why I'm still practising before charging the public! I like as close to perfection as possible.

Thank ladies and gents!

You'll always have a few sticky patches left when you pull the strip off. Go over again straight away to pick these up.
How long after applying wax are you placing the strip and removing? It could be cooling too much. You could also be applying to thickly.
Yes if it's long then trim it to about half an inch before waxing.
With underarms look at the hair direction and decide what's best. Are you using strip or hard wax on underarms?

You'll always have a few sticky patches left when you pull the strip off. Go over again straight away to pick these up.
How long after applying wax are you placing the strip and removing? It could be cooling too much. You could also be applying to thickly.
Yes if it's long then trim it to about half an inch before waxing.
With underarms look at the hair direction and decide what's best. Are you using strip or hard wax on underarms?

Thank you for your reply!!!
Right... I'm using strip wax everywhere at the moment until I'm comfortable with waxing in general then I'm dragging poor mom in to let me do hot wax on her.
I'm putting the strip on like 3 seconds after I've applied. I would say I am applying thinly but I know I need to keep practising that to get it perfect.
Oh brill, glad I can trim... After that experience I was ready to throw the towel in but knowing I can clip it down is much better.

1. Strip wax is only designed for use on the legs and the arms, other areas such as bikini, face and underarms a non strip wax should be used as its a lot more comfortable for the client. Using strip wax on these areas is a bad habit to get into and will slow down your learning progress. Strip wax on these areas can snap the hair rather than pull them out and is a lot more painful for your client!
2. A good quality wax when applied correctly will not leave any sticky residue- have you tried using some of the better quality waxes? Norma de Durville, Perron Rigot, Waxperts?
3. Some good quality waxes you will not be required to trip the hairs before waxing making your life a lot easier- it depends of the elasticity and flexibly of the wax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reasons why wax may be left after strip has been removed is that the clients skin may be cold (winter months), the wax may be too thick, if you use the strip several times it may be too overloaded. Use a fresh strip to removed left over wax.
Use pre oil but remember to use sparingly & blot with a tissue before applying wax.
If the hair is long then cut it (makes it much easier for you to wax)
I use Perron Rigot non strip wax on bikini, underarms & face. Again, use oil & blot before application. Remember to stretch the skin to avoid bruising.
Practice makes perfect x ☺

I forgot to add that if the client has used a body lotion before coming for wax it will act as a barrier so wax may not be removed well. Remind clients not to used body lotion/oil on day of wax. ☺

It depends on hair type, I use hot wax for intimate areas and creme wax everywhere else except for Afro hair or especially thick hair then I use hot wax for underarms too.

When doing intimate waxing apply the hot wax in long narrow strips not too wide, small sections is much better, always use small amount of oil first to stop hot wax sticking to the skin too much.

With leg waxing get into a rhythm, wax on quickly in large sections and then off quickly.
Knees in small square sections. Waxing should be broken down in sections.

I love waxing but I didn't when I first started, as you get better you get quicker and it becomes one of your favourite treatments to do.

Latest posts

Back