Waxing under 12s?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma890

Reaction score
i keep being asked by mums if i will wax their children, usually under 12s i always say no and tell them i don't generally do under 16s.

Do you have an age limit on any treatments and if so how do you put it on websites etc

Good grief. What are these mums thinking?

Would your insurance cover you for treatments on children under 16?

On a website/leaflet you could include a line saying that your insurance prohibits treatment on clients under 16 yrs....

Personally, I wouldn't wax a 12 year old child.

And defiantly wouldn't let my 12 year old get waxed 😐

I think it's quite worrying ..

In the US they have something called 'virgin waxing' where vellus, downy hair is waxed from a young age, apparently it inhibits hair growth as the girl gets older, this includes the bikini area.. I don't like the idea personally.

With any underage treatments consult the HABIA code of conduct and speak with your insurance company.

I promote myself as a salon for adults, I don't do any 'little miss' treatments as they are not cost effective. I have waxed the eyebrows of 14 year old family members, but they still have a consultation done and consent.

I have waxed a 12 year olds legs. Her mum caught her with the razor which was covered in blood where she cut herself. Waxing seemed safer. She finds it fine just giggles throughout and had no problems.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have waxed my own daughter since she started secondary school, just legs, but now aged 14 I also do her brows & armpits.

She has very dark hair, and has always been very self conscious of it, and when she started secondary school, girls commented on her hairy legs in the changing rooms.

I was determined she wouldn't go near a razor or those awful veet type kits! Because she has only ever waxed, her hair growth cycle means she now gets a full 2 weeks hair free, and so we wax her every 4 weeks - much better than shaving every 3-4 days!

I also do leg waxing, and eyebrows on girls aged 12 plus. I have checked with my insurance company, and providing I have signed parental consent, I am covered.

I personally would much rather secondary school age girls have a professional wax, than use razors etc.

I choose not to offer any waxing other than legs & brows to under 16's though (except my own child).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I waxed a 13 year old last week with mothers consent- the mother wanted it- she is very hairy and a v bad bikini line and she wouldnt wear a swim suit on holidays so her mam didnt want her teased in secondary school when she starts in september. Done v basic bikini and underarm. Insurance co happy once parental consent.

I have an 11 year old daughter who has very obvious dark hair on her legs and underarms. For this summer I used a hair removal cream on her. My husband was horrified, but not as horrified as he would have been if she'd used his razor and cut herself. Some girls hit puberty much younger than others, and I think the age of the child is only relevant because of insurance cover. If you have parental consent and relevant insurance, then you make the judgement on whether waxing is appropriate during a consultation. I have a 17 year old niece who has never had to remove the hair from her legs as it is blond and downy. I have a very dark haired daughter who I wouldn't dream of sending to secondary school this September with hairy armpits .

Forgot to add, I am going to wax my 11 year olds armpits as it is the right thing for her!

This has been discussed many times on here. It is down to the individual. Yes I would do it on a child provided they had a good reason. I started waxing/shaving when I was 11. It's done me no harm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have waxed a 14-yr old and a 15-yr old. Whenever I do any treatments on under 16s, apart form signed parental consent, I always insist the parent is in the room the entire time and I tell them this before they come for the appointment.

I know this is quite an old post but I have a similar situation and would be grateful for people's opinions.
My 9 year old sister decided it would be a good idea to shave her legs that weren't even very hairy, obviously without permission. Now the hair is growing back very long and very quick. Our mum has asked me if I could wax her legs to avoid continously shaving and to avoid bullying in p.e etc. I do agree she's too young to be waxed however I find it better than the alternatives. What do you guys think about this?xx

I know this is quite an old post but I have a similar situation and would be grateful for people's opinions.
My 9 year old sister decided it would be a good idea to shave her legs that weren't even very hairy, obviously without permission. Now the hair is growing back very long and very quick. Our mum has asked me if I could wax her legs to avoid continously shaving and to avoid bullying in p.e etc. I do agree she's too young to be waxed however I find it better than the alternatives. What do you guys think about this?xx

I would do it. I waxed my 10 year old sisters armpits. I cannot see the moral dilemma you are helping your sister as she is young and the hair is still growing they may never grow back. This happened to me waxed my legs once when young and have about 8 hairs on each leg.

What do you even consider bad about the situation? It is not like ear piercing which is forever (although it is actually best for newborns/babies to have their ears pierced due to infection and healing process. )

I would do it. I waxed my 10 year old sisters armpits. I cannot see the moral dilemma you are helping your sister as she is young and the hair is still growing they may never grow back. This happened to me waxed my legs once when young and have about 8 hairs on each leg.

What do you even consider bad about the situation? It is not like ear piercing which is forever (although it is actually best for newborns/babies to have their ears pierced due to infection and healing process. )

I guess I don't like the idea of hurting her but weighing it up, waxing is definitely safer than a child shaving. Also I know a lot of people would frown upon waxing a 9 year old, but like you said, im only helping her. I'll just be extra cautious with the wax temp etc and make sure she looks after the area post waxing. I know how cruel kids can be and I'm not putting her through that if there's something I can do to help. Personally, I have no problem with it, I'm Good at waxing and itll be done properly xx

I've only had a bikini wax once which was more than enough. Ouch!
I honestly don't see the problem with being hairy although to be fair, I'm not super hairy and neither is my sister.

I have a good friend who is a mid blonde but has an abundance of very dark hair on her legs and has had them waxed since a young age. I know she's very bothered by it.

I feel that as it's natural, if I had a daughter, I'd want her to embrace being a bit hairy rather than feel under social pressure to remove it. Equally though, if she was being hassled at school, I wouldn't want that either but under 12 just seems very young to start with these things. It's very tricky parenting pre-teens these days.
Luckily I only have boys so the middle one shaves, the oldest one loves his beard and the youngest is well below puberty.

I'm never going to embrace waxing myself but obviously I'm going to be in the minority on a beauty forum. :D

Latest posts

Back