Waxing waxing waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its great to read frank and informative stuff on this subject.

does anyone know if the type of wax treatment you try can impact on the after effects you would get?

i have tried veet cold wax strips myself on the bikin line but after a few times i noticed a big issue with ingrowns.really bad.

like the man who was wxed on the chest and back i suddenly started getting spots when id never experienced anything like it before in my life.

stopped as soon as i realised it was due to the waxing.

has taken 4 months for this to improve after stopping waxing but theres still the odd issue of ingrowns there even now.

in theory waxing seems like the best bet for me but not when the after effects are so bad.

so i did wonder if the possible side effects varied depending on the type of waxing you had. cold wax strips,warm wax treatments and so on.

i exfoliate twice a day religiously and have done for a long time because that was one of the recommendations i picked up on when i looked up waxing before i tried it out on myself.

so in terms of being clean and keeping the pores clean it has always been a top priority

So clear thanks a lot

I noticed that you did not mention how you prep the skin before waxing (after cleaning with pre-wax cleanser). Do you just cleanse and then start applying wax? my other question is ... why do you get the client to put the after wax oil/cream on themselves?

Hi katelisa i've just found your tutorial, thanks so much, i'm really keen to do a brazilian waxing course and your tutorial has inspired me! The only bit i got confused about is when you say the client has to lift their leg up a bit & then pull out their bum cheek - i thought they were lying on their back at this point, so i'm confused about how they can pull the bum cheek out!Help! Thanks again for the tutorial x

I noticed that you did not mention how you prep the skin before waxing (after cleaning with pre-wax cleanser). Do you just cleanse and then start applying wax? my other question is ... why do you get the client to put the after wax oil/cream on themselves?

I sometimes wipe with surgical spirit if ther r a little bit sweaty! other than that i ask them to thoroughly cleanse the area themselves before i go in to wax.

as for applying the aftercare... would you reeeally want to rub oil into someones bits? lol. remember they might have had their bum waxed! once im finished waxing i leave the client with a mirror and go wait outside the door. if theres a problem i will go back in, or if they are happy they can apply their aftercare and get dressed!

Kitten said:
Hi katelisa i've just found your tutorial, thanks so much, i'm really keen to do a brazilian waxing course and your tutorial has inspired me! The only bit i got confused about is when you say the client has to lift their leg up a bit & then pull out their bum cheek - i thought they were lying on their back at this point, so i'm confused about how they can pull the bum cheek out!Help! Thanks again for the tutorial x

all the client has to do is put their hand under their
thigh (like, from the outside of their leg not the inside) and pull their bum cheek out whilst on their back. HTHs.

I sometimes wipe with surgical spirit if ther r a little bit sweaty! other than that i ask them to thoroughly cleanse the area themselves before i go in to wax.

as for applying the aftercare... would you reeeally want to rub oil into someones bits? lol. remember they might have had their bum waxed! once im finished waxing i leave the client with a mirror and go wait outside the door. if theres a problem i will go back in, or if they are happy they can apply their aftercare and get dressed!

I'm just really perplexed that you don't put oil or powder on the skin before applying wax. You should have something acting as a barrier between wax and skin.

And yes... I do rub cream on my clients privates after waxing them (front and back)... My hands have already been on them while waxing, why not finish the job?

That was really interesting reading, thanks for that. I have been waxing for over a year now and like the other lady I dont like hurting my clients especially when it comes to the bikini area....i also find it quite stressful..so I stopped doing hollywoods, even though I did the specific training for it.
I actually waxed a friend of mine the other day there and I dont hink I bruised her but she said that the skin was red and then started to peel...I feel so bad...its not happened before. Do you think tat she may be allergic or is it a braising problem....I should say also that she recently had a baby and when I was waxing her she found it painful at the time....help! please!:eek:
:hug:

Bruising can be avoided by making sure that the skin is pulled as tight as possible. Having the client use both hands to aid in this helps a ton... 4 hands are much better than 2!!!

As for the the skin peeling... this is not an allergic reaction.. more than likely you removed skin in during the waxing process. If you prep the skin with oil first this can be avoided.

Bruising and removing skin while waxing are 2 of the most common complaints... and they are totally avoidable. Proper prep and good technique will ensure that this never happens to your clients.

I'm just really perplexed that you don't put oil or powder on the skin before applying wax. You should have something acting as a barrier between wax and skin.

And yes... I do rub cream on my clients privates after waxing them (front and back)... My hands have already been on them while waxing, why not finish the job?

My hands dont come into contact with my clients skin when im waxing, only the strip does. The only places i actually touch are not 'intimate areas'.

Do you wax right inside the labia? and you rub cream there? I wax every last hair off, so im really not going to delve in with the after wax oil and offer to grease up their genitals.

allowing them to do it themselves, while i am out of the room, also gives them a chance to examine it thouroughly, to check theres no bits i couldnt get to.

I'm a very hands on waxer. I use my hands for everything... I also have my clients help.

Yes, I wax right inside the labia.. which is how I can't figure out how you could do this without oil... without tearing the mucous membrane.

I'm a very hands on waxer. I use my hands for everything... I also have my clients help.

Yes, I wax right inside the labia.. which is how I can't figure out how you could do this without oil... without tearing the mucous membrane.

In the 2 1/2 years ive been waxing Ive never ripped a clients skin *touch wood*

you say you are a hands on waxer, so do you wear gloves? how do you find it working with them? I cant stand the damn things!

Unfortunately, I have seen it happen many times over the years. And it was always the same thing in common... not prepping the skin properly. I actually knew of a lady that had to get 12 stiches in her groin from a bikini wax.

No, In my 8 years of waxing, I have never worn gloves... I absolutely hate them too. The only time I wear a glove is if I have a cut or open sore on my hand... which isn't very often. I find they stick to the skin and get in the way. My clients come to me because I am very hands on and they like the fact that I'm not afraid to touch them without being all gloved up.

You should email me and we can chat... I do believe I can offer you some great ideas. [email protected]

Unfortunately, I have seen it happen many times over the years. And it was always the same thing in common... not prepping the skin properly. I actually knew of a lady that had to get 12 stiches in her groin from a bikini wax.

Ive heard a few horror stories from clients. I thought you only needed stitches for an open would? ouch! :eek:

I use very gentle wax that melts at low temperatures because I am under the impression that if the skin is too hot (either from the heat of the wax or from the clients general body heat) then the skin can rip alot more easily. However i can see how oil would stop the wax from sticking to the clients skin and tearing it.

Ive heard a few horror stories from clients. I thought you only needed stitches for an open would? ouch! :eek:

I use very gentle wax that melts at low temperatures because I am under the impression that if the skin is too hot (either from the heat of the wax or from the clients general body heat) then the skin can rip alot more easily. However i can see how oil would stop the wax from sticking to the clients skin and tearing it.

It is actually improper prep of the skin that causes skin ripping (in the majority of cases). The use of oil first makes a huge difference. I can wax over scars, pimples and moles without any problems to the skin. You can re-wax over an area if need be. I have even waxed clients on accutane. The esthetics school near me is teaching new estheticians NOT to use anything to prep the skin (which by the way is where the lady who needed to have stiches went). I have had many clients come from there... the majority of them have had skin removed... from various body parts.

It is actually improper prep of the skin that causes skin ripping (in the majority of cases). The use of oil first makes a huge difference. I can wax over scars, pimples and moles without any problems to the skin. You can re-wax over an area if need be. I have even waxed clients on accutane. The esthetics school near me is teaching new estheticians NOT to use anything to prep the skin (which by the way is where the lady who needed to have stiches went). I have had many clients come from there... the majority of them have had skin removed... from various body parts.

It's oil every time for me, too - I have seen too many skin grazes and tearing from other salons to use anything else, and clients invariably comment on the difference.

Hands-on all the way here - I just can't get a good enough stretch in the skin without getting in there myself (you know what they say about "if you want a job doing properly, best to do it yourself!) although I do get my clients to help.

I do, however, wear gloves for all waxing - if nothing else, I believe it sends a message to my clients that I take their health and my hygiene practices seriously (just to clarify, I'm certainly not implying that those who don't wear gloves aren't taking the health of their clients seriously!). I don't find the vinyl or nitrile gloves stick to the skin or get in the way, and in fact I find it easier to just slip on a new glove if I get a bit of wax on them, rather than stopping to clean up a bare hand.

Im not saying i dont get stuck in when im waxing, i just dont go prodding and poking with bare fingers! i position the clients bits using the disposable thong or discreatly manouver them with the strip. I will look into using oil, even tho i dont have a prob;em at present, its always good to look at something new i guess.

I do, however, wear gloves for all waxing - if nothing else, I believe it sends a message to my clients that I take their health and my hygiene practices seriously (just to clarify, I'm certainly not implying that those who don't wear gloves aren't taking the health of their clients seriously!). I don't find the vinyl or nitrile gloves stick to the skin or get in the way, and in fact I find it easier to just slip on a new glove if I get a bit of wax on them, rather than stopping to clean up a bare hand.

hehe.. glad you clarified that... I do take the health of my clients very seriously. My clients watch me wash my hands before and after I wax them, as well as using antibac gel.

I use the nitrile gloves for piercing... Love them :)

I enjoy reading that..thats awesome i've done lots of waxing but I haven't gone to that part yet..So thanks so much everything understand and simple..just what I needed..........AAAAAAAA+++++++++:lol:

thanks for such great tutorial!

Thanks kate, i have a waxing course to go to in january and your tutorial has been really helpful :hug:

Latest posts

Back