waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudi

Reaction score
:) hi all could anyone tell me if you buy a phd waxing kit from ellisons do you have to have a waxing certificate to get the one day free training as looked on ellisons web site and it does not say anythink about you havin a certificate to get the free training!! it just says 1 day free training at coventry.Ireally want to do a waxing course but not sure which course to go on i live in redditch if anyone knows where i can do a course that would be great:lol: Thanks from Trudi xx

hi trudi try your local college you do need a certificate in waxing for phd training, i done my vtct part time in depilation it covers hot wax and should cover bleeching hairs as well think its better than doing the 1 day courses in waxing good luck xx

Trudi said:
icon_smile.gif
hi all could anyone tell me if you buy a phd waxing kit from ellisons do you have to have a waxing certificate to get the one day free training as looked on ellisons web site and it does not say anythink about you havin a certificate to get the free training!! it just says 1 day free training at coventry.Ireally want to do a waxing course but not sure which course to go on i live in redditch if anyone knows where i can do a course that would be great
icon_lol.gif
Thanks from Trudi xx
Hi Trudi,

The way I understood the course was that you had to do the Basic Warm Waxing first:

"Good introduction to basic warm wax techniques, especially for those wishing to do the PhD Waxing System Workshop. You MUST be prepared to be waxed while you are here*Course fee includes basic wax starter kit, including a heater worth £35.00
Entry Requirements: None
Duration: One day
Time: 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Cost: £165.00 (Inc VAT)"

Then you can go on to do the Phd Waxing:

"You MUST have a waxing certificate to do the PhD Waxing System training. Learn the art of PhD Waxing, the only professional, hygienic, disposable system.
Entry Requirements: Basic Waxing Certificate
Cost: One free training place per kit bought, additional training will be £23.50 (Inc VAT)"

Hope that helps
icon_smile.gif

Thanks noosha and emma
it just means if i go to ellisons and do there course that i will have a waxing kit i dont want as i want the phd and £165 that sounds a lot and i have got to go and buy the phd waxing kit on top of that and thats £99 so just to get into waxing is going to cost me £265!! i just want to do a course where i dont get a waxing kit as i dont need one if im going to buy the phd from Trudi x

noosha04 said:
Hi Trudi,

The way I understood the course was that you had to do the Basic Warm Waxing first:

"Good introduction to basic warm wax techniques, especially for those wishing to do the PhD Waxing System Workshop. You MUST be prepared to be waxed while you are here*Course fee includes basic wax starter kit, including a heater worth £35.00
Entry Requirements: None
Cost: £165.00 (Inc VAT)"

Then you can go on to do the Phd Waxing:

"You MUST have a waxing certificate to do the PhD Waxing System training. Learn the art of PhD Waxing, the only professional, hygienic, disposable system.
Entry Requirements: Basic Waxing Certificate
Cost: One free training place per kit bought, additional training will be £23.50 (Inc VAT)"

Hope that helps
icon_smile.gif
Hi Trudi,

I thought I'd be the same as you & want to do PHD, but having done pot waxing, and having spoken to A LOT of therapists who took PHD on (many of whom haven't stuck with it), I'm still pot waxing. :D

However, the kit you get with the Ellisons Basic Warm Waxing course is fabulous and I know a few girls from my course that SOLD their kits & more than made their money back :cool: . Others went on to use the PHD system but kept their wax heaters for pot wax to use for bikini/brazilians and facial waxing, as you tend to have more control with this method and many clients prefer it.

Also important to note that Ellisons insist you're :!: FULLY COMPETENT :!: in basic pot waxing before you train in PHD and they won't train otherwise :shock: . Same with their Brazilian course.

Anyhoo, food for thought...

HTHs

G. xx

(PS - I'm a strong believer in "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" and £165 is an absolute bargain. Made my money back sooo quickly :cool: )

Up To Scratch said:
I thought I'd be the same as you & want to do PHD, but having done pot waxing, and having spoken to A LOT of therapists who took PHD on (many of whom haven't stuck with it), I'm still pot waxing. :D

However, the kit you get with the Ellisons Basic Warm Waxing course is fabulous and I know a few girls from my course that SOLD their kits & more than made their money back :cool: . Others went on to use the PHD system but kept their wax heaters for pot wax to use for bikini/brazilians and facial waxing, as you tend to have more control with this method and many clients prefer it.

(PS - I'm a strong believer in "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" and £165 is an absolute bargain. Made my money back sooo quickly :cool: )
Hi there,

I'd been wondering the same thing myself.. I've been trowling through as many waxing systems as I can find, trying to find one that I could work with - portable, versitile etc..

I like the idea of the pot wax - but I have a question - once you've finished waxing (say you're at a clients house) - can you put the lid back on the pot easily? I hope so, as there's been some accidents with wax on car seats!

Thanks

I thought if you bought the PhD system you had a day's free training offered to you, and that would last for up to a year. I haven't taken that offer up because it would be about 2.5hrs drive.

I initially did a one day course with Salon Systems at Capital Hair and Beauty, very good course, covered the pot and spatula method, cost £80 for day. I bought a PhD system, and so far have only used it on myself as I waiting to get a room to start off.

On PhD's video they suggest you put wax onto both legs instead of one at a time, which I was a bit surprised at but did it on myself last time and it worked well.

Deb379

i agree deb the phd is so much quicker the video that comes with it is very helpful too. i didnt go to the training as its to far but round here some colleges r starting to use phd as well while doing the nvq.

well i love my phd , and even though i like pot wax , this is soo clean , and quick , and as for it being awkward with armpits and stuff , i havent had any real probs , it is definatley worth £99 ,

Deb379 did you get just the training for £80 & have to buy a kit on the day or did they supply a kit for you to use? I have a Sallys' local to me that has a waxing day coming up & wondered how it works. I know after doing the basic wax day you can go on to do a bikini/brazilian day.

Sonia

Hi hun

Don't know about Sallys, it was with Salon Systems at Capital, so it could be similar. S Systems are also available to ring if you have any queries after your course, as a help line.

No they provided the pots of wax and equipment and a booklet to cover theory, skin etc. It was a very good course. Then you practice on each other. You simply pay £80 might have been plus VAT can't remember.
You get a certificate if you pass the questions.

You have the option to buy a kit at the retail shop but I didn't, the lady was going to tell us what we could buy but time ran out. Capital and probably Sallys, do a starter kit for about £45/£50 I think.

I have used pot and wax at a salon near me to help out when they were away (their equipment), but I decided to buy the PhD system simply because it sounded so good, less messy and no spillage in car, liked the fact that there is no contamination, excellent video. However, some people may think it works out a little more expensive.
Hope this helps

Deb379

hi when i changed over to phd i changed my prices slightly , to cover the extra cost, and i am still cheaper than most of salons in my area (not by much lol)

:) hi all could anyone tell me if you buy a phd waxing kit from ellisons do you have to have a waxing certificate to get the one day free training as looked on ellisons web site and it does not say anythink about you havin a certificate to get the free training!! it just says 1 day free training at coventry.Ireally want to do a waxing course but not sure which course to go on i live in redditch if anyone knows where i can do a course that would be great:lol: Thanks from Trudi xx

Hello Trudi, I have just done a one day waxing course with a tutor in the West Mids (near Stourbridge) It cost 125.00 and she uses the PHD system she doen't expect you to purchase one she just explains to you how hygenic it is to use and how much easier than using the spatular method. (and it is). She also shows you the hot wax method. It was a brilliant course and she was a lovely lady. I highly recommend her. Then you can just buy your kit from ellisions! easy!
Good luck!

:) I am wanting to start on the Ellisons basic waxing course, but i am still waiting for them to let me know. I have my waxing done at home by a therapist who does the PHD and she thinks it is the best waxing treatment. But i know it is everyone to their own. I was truly impressed with them at the birmingham beauty show. :)

Hi i live in bromsgrove and i did my waxing course at ellisons in coventry. I had to do the basic waxing course first at £160 for the day it is only then that you can do the PHD once you have done the basics.

However i think it is worthwhile I have done PHD and use it all the time it is fab, less mess and quicker to apply

Emma

Apologies for hi-jakingthis thread.

Could someone explain to me (a waxing novice:) ), how is the PHD system different to the warm wax with spatula.

Latest posts

Back