We seem to be suffering from a recent outbreak of text speak....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetty

Lost and happy geek!
Reaction score
.....does anyone know the treatment or cure? :):)

I am noticing more and more posts in text speak and not only does it really irritate me, it means that the members of this worldwide forum for whom English is not their first language must find it very hard work making sense of them.

I know that people younger than myself (and there are many!) use text speak in most communication but please can you not do it here? I find it hard to read with English as my first language, we have members here from Denmark, Greece, Sweden, France, Germany and Italy that I can think of. Those members post in the most fantastic English for all our benefit, please can we return the compliment to them?

This seems to be a recurring condition, so can we manage this latest outbreak? :):)

Hi, yes I have noticed it too. I have very poor spelling due to mild dyslexia (which runs in my family varying from severe to mild). However, I find it hard to spell a word correctly, but I can notice spelling mistakes especialy from younger friends on face book. Its not just the txt talk but the general not caring about the way things are spelt, almost like normal spelling and grammer is no longer thaught of a relevent. I feel old but find it sad that something that my generation took pride in has gone now.xxx

Yes, I totally agree Vetty, it gets on my bloody nerves! I don't see why people can't type plain English when typing a reply. Surely this is the way they were taught to do letters and replies at school!? If not, then a serious overhaul of the English Education is needed in our schools!! You are also right Sarah, about grammar and spelling, I think the standard of that is appalling. I know we all miss the keys sometimes, and add or leave out letters, but you can usually tell those 'typo' mistakes!
I have found quite a few times that someone has started a thread, and they sometimes write quite a long paragraph or two, that is full of text speak, and I get so annoyed because I lose the gist of what is going on, that I can't be bothered to read it and give up and move onto the next one!!

So come on geeks, let's get back to basics eh, and leave the text speak for texting!!:green:

Last edited:
The most important thing is that it is against the salon geek site rules.
http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html

The next most important thing is that it looks unprofessional and chavvy. THE SALON GEEK is a professional site and it should be reflected in the professionalism of those who write posts here especially on the main forums.

The next most important thing is that it is just plain inconsiderate to other members as they come from all over the world and many do not understand it.

The next most important thing is that the moderators have quite enough to do without having to change posts from text into English, add punctuation, correct spelling edit into paragraphs and do the tidying up because of other people's laziness or just lack of thought for others.

I completely agree, but I also really loathe the overuse of emoticons - or their use at all!

I completely agree, but I also really loathe the overuse of emoticons - or their use at all!

Sorry I don't agree with this...the use of emoticons is vital on this site as they can sometimes make the difference between a small disagreement and all out war breaking out!!!! :eek:
The written word is a minefield with no facial expressions to let you know if someone is being funny or sarcastic and the emoicons do help with this.
As regards over use....I don't think you can, as I am sure there is a limit per post on their use...there is in PM's.

Regarding the TXT talk.........way to go Vetty I had thought of doing a similar thread myself, but just moaned in my blog about it :o

All credit to the Moderators for sorting some of it out........I don't think I could translate some of it!! :confused:, and it certainly does stop me from reading a thread/post when I see it.

Last edited:
I really hate text speak, confuses me, although I only try to use the abbreviations that are used on here, and thats only a couple, I thinks its mainly the younger generation that use text speak, and it shows in their english skills, when they do try to write and spell something normally :)

Well you are entitled to dislike them, but using emotions is not against site rules, doesn't cause the mods bother and is not rude or inconsiderate to others.

The most important thing is that it is against the salon geek site rules.
http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html

The next most important thing is that it looks unprofessional and chavvy. THE SALON GEEK is a professional site and it should be reflected in the professionalism of those who write posts here especially on the main forums.

The next most important thing is that it is just plain inconsiderate to other members as they come from all over the world and many do not understand it.

The next most important thing is that the moderators have quite enough to do without having to change posts from text into English, add punctuation, correct spelling edit into paragraphs and do the tidying up because of other people's laziness or just lack of thought for others.

Well said Geeg.....and I never realised that the moderators did that. Bless them!

Although I agree that text speak is irritating, inconsiderate and often unintelligle, I would hesitate to critisize the spelling and grammar of others. It would be rude of me if I did. Some people do struggle with the written word but that doesn't necessarily mean that they do not have a useful contribution to make. It would be an awful shame if they avoided posting for fear of being embarrassed by public correction.

PS I haven't witnessed it here. :)

Although I agree that text speak is irritating, inconsiderate and often unintelligle, I would hesitate to critisize the spelling and grammar of others. It would be rude of me if I did. Some people do struggle with the written word but that doesn't necessarily mean that they do not have a useful contribution to make. It would be an awful shame if they avoided posting for fear of being embarrassed by public correction.

PS I haven't witnessed it here. :)

We have a thing called 'spell check' ... site rules (that everyone agrees to abide by when they register) asks that everyone uses it.

Salon geek has a public image to uphold and the spell check helps us all to do that. Pretty simple to spell check before posting, right?

No one would dream of publicly correcting anyone but a fair few pms have been sent asking people to NOT use text talk.

We have a thing called 'spell check' ... site rules (that everyone agrees to abide by when they register) asks that everyone uses it.

Salon geek has a public image to uphold and the spell check helps us all to do that. Pretty simple to spell check before posting, right?

No one would dream of publicly correcting anyone but a fair few pms have been sent asking people to NOT use text talk.
Oops, couldn't find the spell check when I looked (I normally google the bogey words I am not sure of). Although useful, spell checks don't help when deciding whether to use there, their or they're. I appreciate that a professional image is important and the lengths you go to in order to discreetly amend where required and I meant no criticism. It was the annoyance that was expressed by one or two posters that concerned me a little. I have seen too many hurt feelings on other forums to want to see the same thing happen here.

Well done Yvette for starting this thread :hug:

I absolutely HATE text speak and it just doesn't come naturally to me.

Even when I send a text on my mobile, I can't do it :lol:

I agree that it looks very unprofessional, but I would never mind someone using the wrong grammar , but it's the text talk that seems like the poster just can't be bothered.

I like the little icons though and agree with izzidoll that they are an important part of explaining yourself and not being able to see facial expressions when we post.

I am one of those who doesn't have english as my first language and I'm very happy and grateful that this is brought up. Honestly there are threads and posts I just give up reading as it will take me to long to translate.

I have never had anyone critique me for my spelling or grammar and have been so lucky to have people pointing out if what I write can me misinterpreted as being rude or harsh. :hug:

This means so much to me and I have felt very welcome here, and this makes me try even harder to correct my language, so honestly those who txt-talks you do make it difficult for us foreigners and ignore the rules of a wonderful professional site, but if I can write in a readable language, so can you:lol:

Hi all,

Just to restore your faith in the 'younger generation' I am 22 and I hate seeing spelling mistakes or 'txt' speak when conversations should be professional. It is not too bad when you're on facebook or texting friends but when it's a professional environment and you have other nationalities on this site, it is inconsiderate.

Just for the record, it also bugs me the incorrect use of 'there, their and they're' and 'your and you're' and when people don't pronounce their words properly like firty (instead of thirty) and anyfink, nuffink...!!! Grrrr!!

Lucy

I agree about the "overuse" of them. I also get horribly annoyed when there are kisses, 37 exclamation marks (just stop it, ok? one will do.), spaces before question/exclamation marks, and the use of "ect" instead of "etc"
Etc is a latin abbreviation for Etceta, which means "and the rest"
Ect is a particularly ghastly treatment for psychiatric illnesses. It stands for Electro-convulsive therapy.

Time to sharpen up our act, chaps.

I can excuse type-o's or the 'occasional' mistake in spelling.
However.... when the post is littered with errors, lacking in punctuation and proper grammar, overloaded with text speak and appears like one giant run-on sentence with no beginning nor end.... I don't get beyond the first sentence and skip the thread entirely.
If you want an answer or feedback from me, then write properly. Use capitals, spell properly, use paragraphs and please refrain from text speak.

As for the mods 'cleaning up' such posts, my hat is off to them. I, personally, wouldn't bother and if the poster wants actual replies; he/she might think better next time to post in a considerate fashion.

I see absolutely NO EXCUSE why ADULTS can't write properly. As far as I know, everyone here should have completed highschool/secondary school IF NOT MORE.
As for those for whom the English language is 2nd or 3rd and they struggle, it's clear in their posts and I applaud them for their efforts and will NOT berate them for mistakes. At least they TRY which is more than I can say for some.

I "think" that some of the problem stems from people accessing Salongeek via their mobile phone and I have to say, there is nothing worse than trying to text on those itty-bitty keyboards and I will NEVER do it.
The rest is a result of pure laziness, in my opinion.

Hi all,

Just to restore your faith in the 'younger generation' I am 22 and I hate seeing spelling mistakes or 'txt' speak when conversations should be professional. It is not too bad when you're on facebook or texting friends but when it's a professional environment and you have other nationalities on this site, it is inconsiderate.

Just for the record, it also bugs me the incorrect use of 'there, their and they're' and 'your and you're' and when people don't pronounce their words properly like firty (instead of thirty) and anyfink, nuffink...!!! Grrrr!!

Lucy

I only realised I couldn't differentiate between words like three and free only recently when I got teased about it :|. (English wasn't my first language lol).

I think as you become more literate and professional/mature you end up using more proper English. Even with the issue of captials I used to use 'i' a lot instead of I. But then again I sometimes slack off on using proper English like on facebook and depending on the person I'm talking to. Don't want to sound so proper and serious all the time :lol:

I loathe text talk. I generally don't reply to threads that are in lazy text talk. Unfortunately, a high percentage are grammatically incorrect and poorly written too. I am a pernickety bugger though! :)

This......................drives me mad, when it is inserted into a post. An ellipses is three full stops ... not as many as you like!

I loathe text talk. I generally don't reply to threads that are in lazy text talk. Unfortunately, a high percentage are grammatically incorrect and poorly written too. I am a pernickety bugger though! :)

This......................drives me mad, when it is inserted into a post. An ellipses is three full stops ... not as many as you like!

Whoops ................. guilty as charged... that's my thing!!! :lol::lol:

So that's called an ellipses??

I wasn't in that day!:o:lol:

Latest posts

Back