Weak and tiny natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I've worn acrylics for a long time, simply because I've got the tiniest nail beds anyone could have and very weak nails.

On the 14 June this year I decided to go natural. Removed acrylics, did IBX & Shellac.
Have been continuing to do this for almost 5 weeks now, but my nails as they grow a little just break. They break from such back parts on my nail bed, which cuts right into my skin, and hurts for days.

I'm so tempted to go back to Acrylics but keep them looking natural length.
But on the other hand I want to keep them natural.

Is 5 weeks to soon to revert back to acrylics, or do I persevere with the IBX & shellac.

Picture below of my nails.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1437466539.578286.jpg

You nails will be naturally weaker since having the acrylics removed, and you will also have to learn to be gentler with your hands. Many past acrylic clients are used to putting the hands and nails through a lot more than most because acrylic nails can take a bit more abuse than that of shellac :)

If your nails are snapping low they are thin and also dehydrated more than likely, I would keep the shorter than you have them in the picture above so there is no overhanging free edge that way you will be much less likely to get a bad break in them, once your damaged part of the nail has grown out you can slowly increase the length and get used to it again. Use a good quality nail conditioner like solar oil on them 3-4 times daily until the damage has grown out, it will keep your nails hydrated and flexible so again less chance of breaking down low.

If all that sounds like too much trouble then it is perfectly fine to apply another set of acrylic nails, You will not need to re etch the top part of your nail, just etch new growth in the nail to maintain as much natural nail as possible , this way there will be no extra damage to the nails for applying your overlay / extensions.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I use solar oil all the time.
Going to give rescue xx a try as I've heard you can use it with shellac. I use IBX already, for strength I might try smoothing gel as well.
Just need them to grow without breaking, it's so frustrating. As I said I love design work on my nails, with these shorties I can't do much.
I do want to hold off putting acrylics back on as much as I can.

Unfortunatly Resuce Rxx has to be used on bare nails, the Kertain is not able to penetrate any nail coating. I would keep the shellac on , and use Solar Oil unless you want bare nails :)

Finally with perseverance, with IBX, Brisa lite smoothing gel and shellac they have grown!

They look beautiful :)

Wow what a difference, they look great

Finally with perseverance, with IBX, Brisa lite smoothing gel and shellac they have grown!
I just love what IBX can do, but it sometimes needs a bit of perseverance!

I've used it for 2 months now, along with Brisa smoothing gel & shellac. Not sure how long I need to use it, coz once the smoothing gel & shellac comes off my nails are still paper thin.

I've used it for 2 months now, along with Brisa smoothing gel & shellac. Not sure how long I need to use it, coz once the smoothing gel & shellac comes off my nails are still paper thin.
IBX repair and treatment is used every time under gel. So there is no time limit, just carry on. If you stop wearing gel only use the IBX repair if you have something to repair, but keep on using the IBX treatment.
I have clients that have natural nails (they have a manicure 2 weekly) that have been using it since March 2014, they now have stronger nails than before and don't want to go back to thin weak nails. My Shellac and Bio Sculpture clients that I use it on find there nails wear much better now. But it did take quite a while to work on some it is no quick fix.

Wow that's amazing, love the difference! I've been wanting to try IBX for a while now, I keep seeing great results. One of my client struggles with her nails, and because she also bites her nails they are so thin and weak :(

Latest posts

Back