Weak nails advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan underwood

Reaction score
Hi don’t know if I’m the right site here but I’m a hairdresser and since we are washing our hands a lot more every day my nails have become very weak, i used to have acrylic gels And had to give them a rest because my nails are very thin and every time they filed them made them hurt I was just wondering nail technicians know of anything that I can put on to make them harder or is there a gel that I can use to strengthen them that I don’t need to use a file to get them off many thanks in advance

Hi don’t know if I’m the right site here but I’m a and since we are washing our hands a lot more every day my nails have become very weak, i used to have acrylic gels And had to give them a rest because my nails are very thin and every time they filed them made them hurt I was just wondering nail technicians know of anything that I can put on to make them harder or is there a gel that I can use to strengthen them that I don’t need to use a file to get them off many thanks in advance
I am not a nail tech. However, I’ve had a really hard time with weak nails recently. My tech has been putting on something called lcn boost gel which strengthens the nail under my gel. It’s been a week and it lasted thus far without lifting as you can see here. Otherwise if you’re more patient than me and less vain, use a nail strengthener like Ella and Milla and follow the instructions. Hard as Hooves lotion helped me when my nails were weak before and bare. Also CND cuticle oil is a dream. :)

Attachments

• E472B803-0100-43F3-96C0-2624CCE423D7.jpeg
    E472B803-0100-43F3-96C0-2624CCE423D7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Thankyou so much will give them a try ,

Hi don’t know if I’m the right site here but I’m a hairdresser and since we are washing our hands a lot more every day my nails have become very weak, i used to have acrylic gels And had to give them a rest because my nails are very thin and every time they filed them made them hurt I was just wondering nail technicians know of anything that I can put on to make them harder or is there a gel that I can use to strengthen them that I don’t need to use a file to get them off many thanks in advance
In answer to your question in the longer term, if you have Shellac put on, then there's no need to file the natural nail to either make it adhere or remove it. Stay away from electric files and ask your tech to hand file the length only. Your nails will be fine as each time the hard gel has been removed, a layer or your nail has also been removed. Solar oil is good in general but also to try to improve the condition of your nails and skin with all our handwashing and sanitiser at the moment. Shellac could help to serve as some protection while you are growing out the damage, but I'd be wary if the nails are really damaged, as you could make things worse or cause yourself pain. Do you have a trustworthy nail tech in ur salon maybe, who could have a look for you?

Just from personal experienc, I had super weak nails that split, bent, flaked and broke at the slightest touch, to the point I felt I had to always have gel nails, but they would lift where my nails flaked and I would then peel them off 😟😔😖 justgoing from bad to worse!
I finally gave up and stopped having them and went to bare nails😱😳I started using Cutex intense recovery... a nice smelling oil I would massage on several times a day.
Don’t expect miracles but 13 months on my nails are the strongest I can ever remember them being, I even have to cut and file them now!

I have always been a bare nails therapist, which to be honest was drummed into me at college as the only way to keep our nails.
Nice and neat and short. They went through a really bad phase around 2 years ago. Flaking, breaking and I couldn't grow them to 1 mm! They are naturally soft and thin, but they were horrendous.
I discovered IBX and I was so impressed.
Finally a proper repair and strengthening manicure that worked. Leaves an invisible armour inside the natural nail plate. Plus frequent nail oil and it's job done.
I am fully back to normal with my nails now, and despite the frequent hand washing/alcohol gel application they are still good. Nail oil is religiously applied at bed time still!

Latest posts

Back