Wearing Dust masks????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaone

Reaction score
hi, just want to know if any of you use masks while your doing nails? i find that if i don't i get a cough and tend to sneeze alot... but it seams to have got worse over the last year....:cry:

anyone have the same problem or do you think it might be something else?:confused:

hi, just want to know if any of you use masks while your doing nails? i find that if i don't i get a cough and tend to sneeze alot... but it seams to have got worse over the last year....:cry:

anyone have the same problem or do you think it might be something else?:confused:

Arrr that's a shame!!

Believe me.. I know the feeling, but my symptoms are sooooooo bad..
For days after I do a set of nails I have blocked sinuses, can hardly breathe at all!!, coughing, wheezing, loss of taste&smell etc..

However.. I have not yet purchased an extractor/filter so I am yet to find out if this would make a drastic difference.. I do normally wear masks though yes

:hug:
xxxxxx

:)

Hi There!!

Before I got my Vent put into my Nail desk, I coughed so much from each set of nails I did.
The vent I have is the Kayline desk vent.. It is not as powerful as I would like it to be, but it has stopped my coughing all together!!

I live in Edmonton.. ( Canada) and I have just found out that a Nail supply store in my city has just come out with a stainless steel dust extractor that hooks up to your Erica Mt-20 file and eliminates the dust as you file.. This is definelty something that I am going to look into purchasing..

Sincerely;
Janet

EVERY nail product manufacturer recommends Extraction Ventilation be used when doing nail enhancement services because NO dust of any kind is healthy to breathe and polymer dust is no exception.

Why do people not follow what manufacturers recommend?? As well ..............

There are ways to minimise the dust you make in order to help yourself and I suggest you learn how to sculpt perfectly with your brush and then you won't have to file so much. You can also apply oil to the enhancement before filing which will help to 'lay' the dust and keep it out of your breathing zone.

I dont make much dust but yes when I am filing I wear a mask even when doing my own nails :)

The most dust is created during a French rebalance and I do wear a mask for this, yes.

I use a collapsible nail table because I used to be mobile, now I work from home and as much as I love nails, I don't want a whopping great unmoveable desk with an extraction system in it sitting in my lounge lol! That is why I personally don't have an extraction system, although I am researching to see if there are any kinds of nail desks with extraction in which are capable of being collapsed down, but my search (so far) has been fruitless.

I am asthmatic, but have not found that I am any worse since doing nails.

Geeg, thank you for the tip about oiling before filing, nice one x

EVERY nail product manufacturer recommends Extraction Ventilation be used when doing nail enhancement services because NO dust of any kind is healthy to breathe and polymer dust is no exception.

There are ways to minimise the dust you make in order to help yourself and I suggest you learn how to sculpt perfectly with your brush and then you won't have to file so much. You can also apply oil to the enhancement before filing which will help to 'lay' the dust and keep it out of your breathing zone.

OOOH I am definately going to use oil before filing now! That's a great tip..

AND... My dust extraction fan is on its way!! Yesss!!!

xx

Doing rebal's all day creates loads of dust, even with extracor and using a mask (always). Its the nature of the beast. Oil really does help when filing down before re-aplying the acrylic for a re-bal, but i prefer not to use it again till right at the end. I like to see where the dust is going when refining so that i know there will be no lift or frilling round the side walls and cuticle. Health and safety is very important to me, but, the finished enhancement has GOT TO look fabulous.

i dont use alot of l&p so i dont have a lot to file, but i do have a lot of clients, and i have only notices that over the last few months it has got worse...

ah well i suppose it is something i will just have to deal with...

Hi, Ive not started to use L&P or gels yets, but wondered if those of you who do wear masks, offer them to your clients too,We have a nail bar in my town, and you always see the technicians wearing them, but never the clients.
I personally would be happier to see the clients wearing them too,afterall they are still exposed to the dust,even small amounts over time can surely do harm?? cant it??
I know something ,its something I will offer,And make a note of it on client consoltation cards too :):)

i dont wear a mask - personnally i think if the tech is wearing a mask - beware - at work i have a desk with a built in extraction fan - so ther is no need for a mask anyway as the desk lamp and base sucks it all up out of harms way - infact i didnt realise that the built in lamp sucked the particals up until the boss told me -now i put it on at full belt every time i do a client

all that dust,even small amounts over time will settle into the aveoli,the small grapelike structures at the end of your bronchus tubes,believe me when I say protect yours and your clients lungs as much as possible to exposure,as I had internal bleeding in my lung (medical blunder) which filled the aveoli,NOT NICE ,majority of it was expelled, but damage is there and 9 years on my left lung still feels stiff,some of it from scar tissue.blah blah:)
plz protect yourselfs x:)

I always worried about wearing masks as we are often telling people to be careful / wary of techs wearing masks.

I understand though why some people would have to wear one, I only work doing nails part time so it doesn't affect me very much. If the client asks or looks worried I would just explain that for the short time they're here the dust would cause them no harm but for a technician working in it all day it can be difficult.

Latest posts

Back