Wearing gloves-opinions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen459

Reaction score
I'm starting at a new salon where the manager 'would like' us to wear gloves.
I've never worn them and actually find them frustrating (I can't feel what I'm doing). It's not a deal breaker, but I would like to know what everyone else feels about wearing gloves.

Hey Jen459,
Personally Ive always worn gloves when carrying out any nail service. I dont find it to be a hindrance at all but then ive never not worn gloves. We were taught in our training for NVQ to wear them at all times during any service. I suppose its for hygeine reasons maybe? I get the extra small size so that they fit really snuggly on my hands like a second skin!! I dont notice it!

I always wear nitrile gloves when carrying out nails services. It’s best to do this as you’re dealing with lots of products like acetone, ipa, acrylic, gel etc and will help avoid contact dermatitis or the development of an allergy. I suppose it’s also hygienic too

I've been a tech for 14 years and never worn them, I wash my hands before service and use antibacterial handwash, client do the same so my hygiene issues. I'm careful to keep monomer, acetone, etc. off both mine and my clients skin as much as possible as over exposure risks were firmly drilled into me at training.

I've always worn gloves and would personally never perform a service without them. I wear nitrile gloves. They protect my hands and skin from any possible chemical exposure, not to mention potential virus infections (warts).

I wear gloves for most of treatments carried out. I have got used to them and they do feel like a second skin. X

I would wear nitrile gloves for the following services:

Acrylics
Gels. Filing for wrap
Pedicure

If you get these products on your hand you can develop an allergic reaction. The powder from these products are a big culprit so don't over look them. Just make sure the gloves are snug fit.

Hi well in the 7 years that I’ve been doing nails I never wore them but I recently changed salons when I moved home and it is now policy to wear them Although it took me a good 3 weeks to get used to them but I couldn’t think of doing nails without them on now ! I’ve noticed a big change in my hands all for the better! No product exposure no dry/flaky skin no hand damage when I’m filing and my own acrylic nail extensions last far longer because I’m not exposed to the remover all the time :) xx

I've been a tech for 14 years and never worn them, I wash my hands before service and use antibacterial handwash, client do the same so my hygiene issues. I'm careful to keep monomer, acetone, etc. off both mine and my clients skin as much as possible as over exposure risks were firmly drilled into me at training.

Hi trinity I hope you don't mind me asking your opinion. After months of serious reactions I've recently had a patch test which confirms I am now allergic to acrylates. For the last few months I had been wearing gloves which barely helped the symptoms (and the dermatologist confirmed that no gloves will stop all of the chemicals coming into contact with the skin) and I have now been told I should stay well away from nail products. My problem is I'm self employed and have built up a massive client base and career. I'm not ready to give it all up so easily but my concern is I was never once told while training how dangerous these chemicals can be and the exposure risks. Do you think I should contact the college regarding this in the hope it stops future nail techs developing the same problem. Should this be a priority in training? I feel so let down that I was never made aware about this and that my health and career is now in jeopardy.. or should I just let it be and blame my lack of common sense for not knowing the risks or doing my own research? Thank you in advance for your help

Hi trinity I hope you don't mind me asking your opinion. After months of serious reactions I've recently had a patch test which confirms I am now allergic to acrylates. For the last few months I had been wearing gloves which barely helped the symptoms (and the dermatologist confirmed that no gloves will stop all of the chemicals coming into contact with the skin) and I have now been told I should stay well away from nail products. My problem is I'm self employed and have built up a massive client base and career. I'm not ready to give it all up so easily but my concern is I was never once told while training how dangerous these chemicals can be and the exposure risks. Do you think I should contact the college regarding this in the hope it stops future nail techs developing the same problem. Should this be a priority in training? I feel so let down that I was never made aware about this and that my health and career is now in jeopardy.. or should I just let it be and blame my lack of common sense for not knowing the risks or doing my own research? Thank you in advance for your help

Absolutely!! I'm sorry you are having to go through all that pain and suffering, physical and mental, due to a failure in your training. When you take a training course you expect it to be complete and thorough, and to teach you everything you need to know about a subject. Sadly, in nails especially, that is not the case, and we hear about it on here over and over again. Often the courses lack the finer details like shaping skills or filing techniques, some miss the fundamentals like yours. Product chemistry (how and why the products behave) and H&S should be the very basics in my view.

Will your complaint make any difference? I don't know but just because it may not doesn't mean you shouldn't. You could be the start of a change that doesn't put anyone else in the same unfortunate position as you.

I'm really sorry you are struggling, it sounds like things were going well for you.

First of all, to say that you are allergic to acrylates is too broad. Didn't your dermatologist give you a report with the specific names of the chemical ingredients you are allergic too? That is the usual procedure. However, there seems to be an attitude in the UK that others have told me, that some GP's and dermatologists view nail product allergies as self inflicted (they have a point) and don't help as much as they could.

There are many different acrylates used in nail products. Allergies are cause by over exposure to specific ingredients. However, it is also true the sometimes the human immune system that produces the allergic reaction, can be fooled. So while you may test positive to one ingredient, another ingredient that "loos the same" can also produce a reaction.

When you have a list of ingredients that cause a reaction, then you can look for nail products that don't contain these. Now it is VERY IMPORTANT to understand that once you develop an allergy, that it will become EASIER to develop new allergies. This means it is very important to take this warning to change behaviour and stop skin contact and inhalation. Allergies only occur because of repeated skin contact or inhalation - there are no bad chemicals - but all chemicals have to be treated with respect and used as advised. Overexposure to water means people can drown!

This advice is available on all MSDS/SDS sheets. Most nail products contain an irritation symbol - the same symbol found on over cleaners, and other house cleaning products where it is normal to use rubber gloves.

To avoid allergies, it is important:
1. to wear nitrile gloves, minimum 8mil thick
2. use the UV lamp recommended for your gels - under cured gel dust is a MAJOR cause of allergies
3. invest in a professional air filter system that has a carbon filter that is minimum 1kg. *

*Yes, these cost around 1000, but what price a career and health?

There is a Facebook group for NT who have allergies.

Latest posts

Back