Website Domain Name Transfers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
This might come in useful for people who have .co.uk domain names registered in their own name and want to move their domain name to a different company, but have been quoted a ludicrous amount of money by their current web company (e.g. £100) for moving the domain name across...

If ever you find yourself in that situation, then you can get in touch with Nominet, who are the quango responsible for all .uk domain names - who will charge a flat fee of £10 + VAT to move the domain name across on your behalf - Nominet - FAQ

That way, you can "go behind the back" of your current web company who are wanting to charge you rip-off prices to transfer the domain name across - which in reality will take no more than a few minutes at most to do...

Does this count in the case of my vista print template site- if i wanted to keep my name but build a new site elseware?
Thanks Ruth

Does this count in the case of my vista print template site- if i wanted to keep my name but build a new site elseware?
Thanks Ruth

It would need to be a .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk or .ltd.uk domain name in order to be able to do it - and the domain would also need to be registered in your name and not Vistaprint's. What is your current website address?

Vistaprint don't charge the earth for transferring a domain name across to someone else anyway, although their customer support can be a bit slow/difficult to deal with from what I've heard in the past. For a .co.uk it's either free to transfer the domain name or a similar fee to what Nominet charge (£10 + VAT); I forget which as it's a while ago since I've helped someone deal with them.

Thanks for posting this Ruth. I was wondering about whether it was possible to get your domain name from the people who have your website. Now I know :)

Latest posts

Back