Website Links - Big Bad Monster!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanny

Reaction score
What's all this about? Big Bad Monster? Who could that be? How is it associated with Website links?

Well, the big bad monster is me, I reckon that's what some of you are going to be calling me soon enough. Why? Cos I'm about to get tough with some of you, or at least some of your websites. If you have a website..... PLEASE READ THIS!

Mr's Geek started a thread in here a short time back asking geeks to place a link on their links page back to this site. ( http://www.thenailgeek.com/chit-chat/24704-personal-web-sites.html?highlight=links ) A worthy and noble cause I'm sure you'll agree. I know that the vast majority of you have already done that. However..... it's not enough! I should add that I'm not here fighting for the Geek site but if I can help Sam out along the way, that's cool. I'm here today as the webmaster of Liberty Nail Design. I've added just about everyone and anyone that has asked for a link exchange in the past since taking over the running of LND. Now however, the LND site is starting to lose page rank. I dont want to baffle you with techno speak, but basically page rank is how good and how relevent the search engines think a given site is. If a site with good page rank links out to many sites with low or zero page rank, the original site starts to lose some of its strength. Not a good thing, believe me. Why would a website have low or zero page rank?

All new websites start off with zero pagerank, and then most will slowly build up over a couple of years (if the site is built, maintained and updated properly) to a page rank of 2 or 3, maybe even 4 if they're lucky. If your website has been around for a couple of years or more and still has a PR of 1 or less, you need to make some changes. The vast majority of the problems with lots of Geeks sites is that the internal links to your own pages are not recognized by the search engines, this is because you are using what's called javascript menus, you know those fancys rollover menu things? Anyway, the bottom line is that your links page is non-existant as far as the search engines are concerned. I have advised people about this many times, but most arent willing or cant be bothered to make the necessary adjustments.

ENTER THE MONSTER!
Most people who know me know that I'm an easy going type, honestly I am. ;) However, I'm not prepared to see the LND site slip any further, I have put an awful lot of work into it and I want it to continue to be a success, that's why I've started this thread. I spent over an hour this morning going through the links page, we've got nearly 40 links, and I reckon that only about 10 of them are worth having. Is your site one of the ten good ones? If not... so what? If your site is not one of the ten, and you dont make any changes in the near future, it will be removed from the links page on LND. I encourage the ten good sites mentioned to follow suit if you want to protect your own pagerank.

How does your site fare out?
Is your site one of the ones that are at fault? How do you find out? You can ask me to check your site and I'll tell you what's wrong (if there is anything wrong) or you can use this search engine simulator to check your site yourself. Just enter your site address into the following link:

You should get back a page of results showing the text, metatags and links that the simulator found on your page. Here's the results I got back from one of the sites mentioned above. I've blanked out the web addy to save their blushes. Note, there's no link to any other pages from the start (home) page. In fact there's no text at all...... this site will never suceed.​

results.jpg

Remember, your internal links are primarily for your own benefit, you are in effect telling the search engines that you have other pages that you would like to have spidered. If anyone wants me to clarify anything I've said just let me know.​

I managed to check and mine looks okay sean, i am quite happy to put links on but as i am thick as soup it could take a lifetime, will try though if you promise to stop being a monster and go back to being nice mr sean

Firstly I only have a link to the Nail Directory, not LND so many apologies ... ongoing prob as you know!!!! I WILL get this sorted next week as v quiet bizzo wise!

Now I just did that search engine simulator and I was surprised, I had loads of spidered links, but not much text ... and as you know I upped my text COS YOU MADE ME LOL!!! But it says I have no meta keywords or description but as you can check via the "view" and "source" option that I have sorted my metatags, so not sure what is going on?

I think what shocked me most though Sean is there are a few Companies that have done quite good trade out of the recommendations given out from the geek site, and yet they haven't put a link to the Geeksite on their website. Pretty poor show I would say!

Jac, your site is setup perfectly. However I would highly recommend that you get some more links pointing towards your site (swap links with other good sites) This is what attracts the search engines. You can find out how to add more links at the help section of The Nail Directory http://www.thenaildirectory.com/linkpage.html If you dont want to learn how to do it, find someone who will do it for a reasonable fee. :wink2:

Sarah, I dont really know why you're showing as having so little text. I know you're using Cold Fusion (I ran a mile when I first saw it) there's way too much excess code for my liking. Maybe try just having plain black text as your body text. If you dont get your major probs sorted soon, drop me a PM

I think mine seems to be okay? The ND came up as a spiderable link as well. Am i for the monster treatment? :evil: :Scared:

Sean

Sorry...I have no idea what this is all about...I have read Sam's previous post. Have I got this right...we should have a link from our own websites back to the nail geek?

I am sorry I do not understand anything you have said...(ok enough with the dumb jokes)!!

wondernail said:
Sean

Sorry...I have no idea what this is all about...I have read Sam's previous post. Have I got this right...we should have a link from our own websites back to the nail geek?

I am sorry I do not understand anything you have said...(ok enough with the dumb jokes)!!

Yup, That is what Samantha was saying.

I think that Seanny is saying is that some of the sites he has as links on LND are not worth having because they need some work doing to them.

If I can just add on to this - we need to also be checking our Links every now and again - I have been prompted by this message to do this and I have found at least 3 sites I have links to that don't seem to be there anymore - not a good look LOL.

Seany,

I am still working on my website (help!) but this site and LND will be the first two links on there - PROMIS!:Love:

My website should be live in 48hrs so i'll be intouch about links.

brill thread going here, ive checked mine and all seems ok seanny, but can you verify this for me to make sure i havent missed anything.........thanks

Hmm, checked mine but it's not seeing any metatags or meta keywords even though I have them on there, and although I have a links page, the only spiderable links coming up are just the other pages in my site.:confused: So I'm not entirely sure what's going on!

Seanny - sorry hun, can you clear your pm box please!

Suey, Glynis & Angela, your sites are all a-ok as far as the links go, dont worry about metetags just yet.

Angela, you dont have a links page on your site, trust me you need one....everybody does!

Guys, can I just emphasize here, this is not a bitchfest for LND (well ok it is in a way) It would be much better if you thought of it as a final reminder of fixing your sites... for your own benefit. People keep asking me "How do I get my site into the search engines?" There's lots of things you need to do, having good links, both internal and external is only one small part of it, albeit an important one. There's not much point in doing everything else right if you neglect this.

Fiona, excellent point. Check your links page often and see if all your link sites are still in operation, if not, delete them.

Thanks Sean

This is just an honest question.

Of course I love the Nail Geek site and will anything to help promote site...but...If one of my clients goes onto my website and see a link back to the Nail Geek site and clicks on it, it would not take them too long to find my posts.
I really am not sure if this is a good idea. I am not really sure I want my clients seeing I have asked for advice on a particular subject...it makes me look as if I dont know what I am doing!

Dont get me wrong I don't mean to be rude on this subject...maybe I have got it wrong in which case do tell me....if I have it wrong I am more than happy to put a link to the Nail Geek site!

This is all very new to me and I am in the process of doing my own website. Must say I do agree with Wondernail, i would not want my clients linking to this site and seeing all the questions etc... i have asked.

Also not sure what or why we would link to LND site. Clear I am not understanding this so if anyone could explain i would be grateful?

Angela has raised some excellent points and, on reflection, I don't think I'll be linking to this site either when I am up and running for the same reasons, however much I would love to.

My subscription as a Premium Geek will have to do for now. Sorry GMG!:Love:

I am glad I am not the only one who shares this view. But one of the reasons I value this site so much is that I can ask honest questions about problems I may be having and I get honest answers.

If I was aware my clients were watching I certainly would not post...at all.... and then defeats the object of the site!!

I also believe that to keep our profession "professional" it is wise not to encourage clients to come on this site...they may just run away with idea that they can "do it themselves"!! And we all know plenty of do-it yourselfers thanks to the Rio kits!!

But that is not say that people new to nails should not come on for advice..I just believe there is a thin line to tread!

Whilst I appreciate to a certain extent where Angela and Chris are coming from - would you not think that your clients would be impressed with the fact that you are open to improve and extend your knowledge by asking and even becoming one of the industry, respected experts?

This does also highlight the responsibility to remain professional and not use this board as an "Agony aunt" type forum for complaining about specific clients - not aiming this anywhere specific.

I am more than happy to give links to this site and also to Liberty Nail Design as they are both really great resources.

If you are worrying about your clients going and doing it themselves from reading on here then, I wouldn't, as they would be using very poor products and will soon realise that it is not as easy as it looks.

Sorry Seanny this has highjacked your thread LOL.

Latest posts

Back