Websites ad hosting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHBeauty

Reaction score
If someone builds you a website, do you have to use thier hosting? i had a guy dsigning a website for me back in January. he bnever replied on day, i asnt entirely happy with what he had produced so far anyway so ust carried on with my vistaprint website.

I have my own domain name via 123.reg.

He has sent me an invoice for the full amount saying he will take it to the small claims court if not paid by xx date.

Now I am not paying for something he didnt complete, but i am willing to pay him if he completes it. My question is can i then get it hosted somewhere else, and get someone else to edit it, or tweak it to how i like? or do I have to stick with him?

Im paying £149 + vat for a 3 page website it was supposed to include the first years hosting but hes already invoiced me for a years hosting, and he isnt even hosting anything!

HELP!

You do not have to host with the same person no and yes you can get somebody else to tweak it.

email [email protected] and give him a bit of info on what you would need changed etc and he will provide you some info on cheap hosting prices and cost of edits etc.

Saying that you shouldnt have to have it edited by somebody else if you have paid this guy to do the work! Advise him of what you do and dont like and get him to make the changes. He should have asked you enough at consultation stage and showed you some ideas of how he was going to put the site together rather than somehow getting it wrong for you doh!

Yeah I see what you mean. I don't like the chat or the ticks with the treatments on the home page?

Everything else looks really professional :)

The thing is I dont know what I want to be done with the treatments page. He has taken my wording from my vistaprint website and created that. My wording isnt professional hence why i was paying some and not sticking with my vistaprint website.

I have emailed him asking him to change various pieces.

the main thing is my treatments page.

I really dont know how id like it :/

can anyone show me their websites so I can see what i might like?

Sorry I meant the chart!! I sometimes help out at a salon called aura in ascot when I'm quiet and there busy.

I love there website

Www.auraspa.co.uk

I have to say, I actually LIKE your website

It isnt a designers job to rewrite ur wording, they only use your content in their design. Ask for access to reword parts of the site when u desire and why does the URL show as Belle Vie Beauty when ur on the site? THAT bugs me more than anything on the site itself lol

I have to say, I actually LIKE your website

It isnt a designers job to rewrite ur wording, they only use your content in their design. Ask for access to reword parts of the site when u desire and why does the URL show as Belle Vie Beauty when ur on the site? THAT bugs me more than anything on the site itself lol

I agree,

Jemima I really like your website x

I agree, it's not his job to create the content. The website looks beautiful though, much better than the majority of salon sites, although I probably would have preferred a different page for each category of treatments. He's done his job IMO. I'd still check the contract you signed to see how many changes etc you have been allowed etc.

Think how you'd feel if someone got a half leg wax and then refused to pay because they wanted a full leg wax...

I didn't sign a contract and he said he'd reword it all, after our initial consultation we have only exchanged emails.

I like the feel of the site and over all it's what I want but the treatments page I don't like.

Its hard for him obviously, when I don't know what I want! how is he supposed to know. But surely it's his job to inspire me?

I didn't sign a contract and he said he'd reword it all, after our initial consultation we have only exchanged emails.

I like the feel of the site and over all it's what I want but the treatments page I don't like.

Its hard for him obviously, when I don't know what I want! how is he supposed to know. But surely it's his job to inspire me?

Did you say "Yes I'd like you to do that, and I agree to paying X amount of money."? I don't think it'd hold up in court either way to be honest, emails don't count for much.

I'm not sure if it is! Designers work from a specification, specified by the client (or an analyst if it's a big project).

Perhaps talk to coworkers/clients/friends/family to try to analyse the problem you're having with the treatment page and specify the "perfect" treatment page. Perhaps you could mock one up on paper and scan/email it to him?

In my humble opinion, it's always better to try to resolve an issue with another person/business, I never like to have the sun set on an argument. Personally I'd stay calm.

Draw up a specification ASAP, email him, massage his ego and say how much you love the design, but you've had some feed back from the end users that the treatment page isn't as expected.

Then refer to the origional email and point out that he said he was going to reword it, say you understand that it is above and beyond his job specification, but that you've had to do it yourself now.

Say that you are upset that there has been a breakdown in communication and that neither of you are at fault, but you would like the following (very specific) changes made.

Everyone's a winner :)

You initally said 3 pages, but I see 4 (and possibly more to come!)

I dont like the treatment page, its way too long, and doesnt follow the same suit.

You either have all treatments (prices) in one table, with the treatments descriptions on a new page, or move the bottom "packages" to its own page

Berwick Manicure Pedicures Nail Enhancements | Love Nails Berwick
Spray Tans Reading | Nails and Eye Lashes Reading | SprayandGlow Reading |

are two lovely ones if you need some ideas?

How much in total does he want for designing the site, and to host for the first 12 months?

HTH
Jacks

I like your website, i think it looks very professional :)

You initally said 3 pages, but I see 4 (and possibly more to come!)

I dont like the treatment page, its way too long, and doesnt follow the same suit.

You either have all treatments (prices) in one table, with the treatments descriptions on a new page, or move the bottom "packages" to its own page

Berwick Manicure Pedicures Nail Enhancements | Love Nails Berwick
Spray Tans Reading | Nails and Eye Lashes Reading | SprayandGlow Reading |

are two lovely ones if you need some ideas?

How much in total does he want for designing the site, and to host for the first 12 months?

HTH
Jacks

£149 + vat inc hosting for a year.

£180 for a site, not fully complete to your liking is way too much.. I would ask him for a breakdown of all costs including who updates the site

Not promoting myself here, but I offer 10 page site for £250 plus cost of any images, logo, hosting and emails - all set up for you.

I like to keep domains and hosting all in one space, but thats not set in stone. You have the option to either keep it separate, or have it altogether for ease.

Its unlikley your hosting will crash - they say its 99.9 uptime, but obviously there is always that very rare chance.

Take a few hrs this week and work on your content that you want to change with a friend who you trust to be good :)

Then ask the designer to edit and add the extra page if needs be.

Its not the site your unhappy with, this site for all intensive purposes is fab, you just need to kick out the kinks.

Having a site that you can't edit yourself in 2012 is a little old-fashioned IMO

You ought to (with a CMS based site, which means Content Management System) be able to log in and make any changes at any time you like.

Relying on a designer to make changes to you sets a dangerous business precident. What if they disappeared? What if you wanted to change your prices or create a flash special offer?

However, with regards to the OP- the designer should be making more of an attempt to have the site to your liking...within what is commecially reasonable. The price is actually more than reasonable to be honest- and the site looks good (although, I'll take some credit for that as I did the logo- but not the site)

I'll be brutally honest- 99% of sites I see are FAR worse than that one.

And while I'm being honest

"Its hard for him obviously, when I don't know what I want! how is he supposed to know. But surely it's his job to inspire me? "

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's a designers job to tell people how they work, the clients responsibility is to provide a solid spec to the designer in order to run as efficiently as possible. We're not mind-readers :)

Imagine someone walking into a hair salon and saying "...Just cut my hair, I'll decide if I like it or not once you've done, and then I might not pay you" You'd want to stab them with your scissors!

If you want to spend hundreds of pounds for different iterations of a design then thats fair enough- but £149 is absolutely in the "budget" range of design prices- and I'd say you've more than got £149 worth of website!

In order to fix your problem- just tell the guy you'll pay him as soon as the price page is sorted out. But in order to sort it out, have a real think about how you want it to look and be VERY specific about it. Once it's done and you've paid for it (which you have to do) it's going to be editable by another designer.

However. get a CMS site next time and you wont have any of these problems! you can change your content as much as you like anytime you like!

Last edited:
Hi

I somewhat agree with Carl, in that the client may want to edit the website themselves.

Without know HTML/CSS you will find it hard to update your site, which is where CMS comes into it - something like Wordpress will do the job!!

Thats not saying you cant have a website designed/built in HMTL/CSS. I know one friend who preferred this, as she does not have the time to update herself, and send the designer updates via emails

Each to their own I guess - Whatever you choose, all website files, folders and images should remain with the client at the end 1st year, if you wish to host elsewhere, and not extend with initial host/designer. A designer may suggest you host with him, but thats your choice whether you do or dont

Latest posts

Back