Wedding bells and show tunes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
HowdA All,

Things have been manic in geekland lately so I have been slightly scarce. I thought I would update you all on a few of the finer points:

Server Stuff

The server has conked a couple more times (Rackspace has almost sorted it). Thankfully, we have managed to control it so it has only happened a couple of times over the past few weeks. The problem still seems to be down with the massive load of people visiting geekville, however there seems to be an opportunity to tighten up some of the settings to prevent it from happening (well, unless the site keeps growing like it has been).

Wedding Bell

A close friend and wonderful geekette Amanda Reevell was hitched and is now Mrs. Fontanarrrrrrrrosa. Mrs Geek and I were down in Devon over the weekend to witness the fairytell occasion. The wedding was almost as beautiful as the bride and groom together. The wedding was a breathtaking adventure from Magical busrides to Acrobatic airplanes to firework shows to rival Disneyland. All that said, it was Amanda and Nico that set alight the evening with their love for one another.
Congrats to them both, I wish them the happiest of times.

Badges

As many will recall, last week I let slip the fact that I was working on a system to let Geeks print off Exhibitor badge covers for trade shows. I even posted a link to the page that would allow you to do this. Sadly, it isn't looking like that is going to be too possible at this stage. The key reason is due to the fact that you cant combine the low resolution avatar and text with the high resolution logo without losing something in between.
Not to worry though, I have been working several hours on a solution and will continue working even harder as I think its a kick ass concept. As soon as I have a real solution I will post it here and you guys will be the first to know.

Trade Shows

Spoke to Mark Moloney today regarding the site. Many will know that Mark is the head honcho at Trades Exhibitions and is responsible for publishing Professional Beauty, Professional Nails, ANT, damn near every trade show, etc...
Anyhooo... he and I spoke briefly at Excel about the possability of having a 'Geek stand' at a future show. Well, this may be pre-mature, but we spoke again about it today and I have his word that he will be offering thenailgeek.com space at Excel next spring.
That means that we should have a stand to act as a meeting ground for geeks. The stand will also have at least a couple of computers (depending on how much moolah I can muster up) so that members can check on the site from the show, check their geekmails, private messages, and make new post regarding the show. It should also allow an opportunity for new users to become exposed to the site.
That means I may need to enlist a couple of geeks to help man the booth as I think I may have to be working at another ;)

Cheers to Mark Moloney and Trades Exhibitions for allowing this great opportunity.

Chatroom

The new chatroom is up and going. The new applet is much faster to load and much more powerful. To access all the shortcuts (i.e. smiles and sounds) make sure you right click on the text input bar (where you type in your message). People have been asking for regular geek chat times. The standard is 8pm GMT though people use it every day at differing times.

Name Changes

Due to the massive influx of requests for username changes, I have not been able to get to them all. Sadly, I will only be able to consider changes for Premium Geeks. If you need a user name change, PM me again and I will get to it as soon as I can. You will also need to append to your signature your old name (i.e. 'use to be Bobs nail and stuff') for at least 2 weeks.

In Style

Last but not least; The new style is almost done. I am waiting to see if I need to upgrade the server before it gets launched (see attachment for an idea of what the new style of the site will look like).

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 162
The new Format looks Fab...Well done! :)

Thanks for all the effort you put into giving us an opportunity to discuss our work and passion.....

.....and the stand at Trade Show for geeks..... Well that goes to say how big and important this site is becoming....Go Sam!

Thanks

Yollie

Well Sam, what can i say. I'm amazed that you get time to do anything to this site as you are a busy person anyway. The new look site is gonna be great from what i've seen. I also love the badges, which despite aren't quite right i'm sure people will still love them anyway, i do.

As for a Geek trade stand, how exciting is that!! I'm sure there will be many volunteers to do this. I am gonna talk to my hubby and see if we can organise a babysitter for that day, ( i presume you are talking about the Excel show in February next year?) if we can, i would love to help out at the stand, after all its all about promoting the best nail site ever and would love to be involved in doing that.:D

Crickey its all very exciting news....that geeks idea is great can we all contribute to for its funding? Or has it been donated???

and love the new look, you can so telll this is your baby as the time and effort (and money) you invest in this site its amazing...

How busy?............and there's more (hahaha........to coin a phrase!!!). Anyway, haven't had too much trouble of late so something must be working;).

Congrats to Amanda..........sounds a bit Posh and Becks......mmmm, dreamy. Need some photies me thinks.

As for some help maning the geek stall, give me a shout, always ready to help:cool:

Adele

The Nail Geek said:
Due to the massive influx of requests for username changes, I have not been able to get to them all

i'm sorry about the GMK, i think i'm to blame for this by starting THAT thread about 'where did you get yours from'...humble grovelling apologies! :eek:

Looking forward to the new changes Sam :biggrin:
And tell Amanda WE WANT PICCIES, lol!

All sounds very good. How do you seem to manage to fit 72 hours work into 24 - can I have the formula? (Let me guess, doesn't involve sleep-LOL!)

Anyhooo, Would be happy to help out on the Geek stand, keep me posted.

B x

Sam I just LOVE this site. I think I can navigate it just fine but if you reckon you can make it better go ahead & make my day.

And if you need anymore little helpers I would be honoured, remember me.
( not remember me as in 'do you remember me' cos we've never met, but remember me as in keep me in mind. Just to make that clear :lol: )

Wohoooooooooooooooo our very own Geek Stand....[sign]GEEKS ROCK[/sign]..............Oh yes thats brill.......

Changes to the site look fab xxxx [sign]Thumbs up[/sign]

A huge congrats to Amanda and Nico [sign]HUGGS[/sign]

Congats to the newly weds, the new site looks fab and ........wow what a great idea our very own stand just brill

Latest posts

Back