Wedding hair help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronray

Reaction score
I've been asked to do a friend's hair. hair up etc is not my forte. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do something similar to this. It's a 50s style wedding.
Hair is shoulder length, extremely thick and course.
Her hair is dead straight naturally.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 46
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 37
I would pin curl the night before, then on the day gently comb out the hair to give this wavy effect. Place the curls and waves where you want them then hairspray. Make sure when pin curling the night before, that you have put the hair in a side partin like the photo. Hope this helps.

Practice on a dollshead first then do at least 2 or 3 test runs if you’re not hugely confident of it lasting.
Thick straight hair is very tricky to keep the curl in so you definitely need to do some sort of wet set with plenty of product.
I hate hair up too but my friend always wants me to do her hair for her special occasions. :confused:
She has very thick but curly hair so it’s actually brilliant, once it’s styled.

Practice on a dollshead first then do at least 2 or 3 test runs if you’re not hugely confident of it lasting.
Thick straight hair is very tricky to keep the curl in so you definitely need to do some sort of wet set with plenty of product.
I hate hair up too but my friend always wants me to do her hair for her special occasions. :confused:
She has very thick but curly hair so it’s actually brilliant, once it’s styled.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like it! I just don't care for it, which makes me feel like a bad hairdresser! I will have a practice, she's having a trial anyway. Thank you for your help :)

I would pin curl the night before, then on the day gently comb out the hair to give this wavy effect. Place the curls and waves where you want them then hairspray. Make sure when pin curling the night before, that you have put the hair in a side partin like the photo. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your advice. Pinning it the night before won't be an option unfortunately as she doesn't live near, she's travelling to me on the day of the trial, and I'm travelling to her on the day of the wedding. If I used heated rollers first and then after they've cooled, pin curl it into the curls created by the rollers, do you think that will work?

Any products you'd recommend for prep? Mousse? Setting lotion?

I just use whatever’s to hand. Setting lotion is actually good stuff, if a bit crunchy. If it’s strong thick hair then trying to change its natural form just with heat isn’t going to last as well as a wet set with rollers. She’s looking at pics of soft fluffy bouncy curls but if it’s not her natural hair type, she needs to be realistic that it’s either going to be stiff-ish from the products or accept that it won’t last for many hours.

I assume it needs to hold for at least 12 hours? Then you need to do the trial first thing in the morning so she can see how it will last throughout the day/evening. If it’s a damp day...
My friend always goes to posh Irish daytime events that go on and on and on and usually finish after 4am!

You might need to get her to be more realistic with her expectations if it won’t hold the curl that long. After all, if you have someone with a build up of black box dye wanting to go blonde, you wouldn’t hesitate to tell them its not going to be so simple and to compromise on the process/time scale.

I just use whatever’s to hand. Setting lotion is actually good stuff, if a bit crunchy. If it’s strong thick hair then trying to change its natural form just with heat isn’t going to last as well as a wet set with rollers. She’s looking at pics of soft fluffy bouncy curls but if it’s not her natural hair type, she needs to be realistic that it’s either going to be stiff-ish from the products or accept that it won’t last for many hours.

I assume it needs to hold for at least 12 hours? Then you need to do the trial first thing in the morning so she can see how it will last throughout the day/evening. If it’s a damp day...
My friend always goes to posh Irish daytime events that go on and on and on and usually finish after 4am!

You might need to get her to be more realistic with her expectations if it won’t hold the curl that long. After all, if you have someone with a build up of black box dye wanting to go blonde, you wouldn’t hesitate to tell them its not going to be so simple and to compromise on the process/time scale.
You're so right about the comparison to box dye! Can't believe I never thought of that! She's coming in 9am so we'll see how it goes :) thank you once again

Best of luck!
I inwardly groan when my friend has a new event to attend. Luckily, she’s into fun plaiting & twisty hair ups at the moment with simple embellishment, so really not that difficult to do.
I refuse to do the teen Prom stuff. Hate it.

Looks like a roller set ( on wet hair ) would work best, you would only have the side to pin back,
It’s a few years now since I did a hair up ![emoji848]

Latest posts

Back