Wedding makeup cancellation -to refund or not to refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy

Reaction score
Sorry, this is a long one..........

In April I had an emailed bridal makeup enquiry from a lovely lady who lived about 4 hours away and after 2 months of emails back and forth she booked me for hers and 3 bridesmaids makeup for her wedding in my area in September of this year.

The client paid her non refundable deposit (I made sure she was aware it was non refundable) and following this we tried to make plans for her trial, but over the weeks everytime I gave her dates that fit within her visits to the area she'd discover that she wasn't able to visit on those days after all and gave me new dates. Throughout our correspondence I kept reiterating how important her trial was but this went on for a while until a couple of months before the wedding she let me know that it may only be her makeup that would need doing and the only time she had available for the trial was the day before the wedding :eek:. I was a bit aprehensive about the trial date but had no choice and booked it in the diary.

A month before the wedding I received an email stating that it had been a tough decision and unfortunately the client had to move her wedding date to March 2013. Because of the date of the original trial, part of me was relieved and as she had given me a months notice I informed her that I would still honour her original booking for the new date as I still had it available.

I have now received an email from the client telling me she is heartbroken as she has had to cancel the wedding altogether and can I let her know how this works with the money she has already paid me asap.

I don't know what to do as I feel that even though I've never met her or carried out a trial, I have spent a lot of time on this client and have tried to help her with her bookings and changes throughout.

What would you do?

It's non refundable. She knew this. Uve re arrange and cancelled appointments.

Weddings are hard. One hand I love them the other I hate them. I've had people cancel on me and I've not had the deposit now I take a £50 deposit which is non refundable ever.

Every trial must be paid for on the day. And full money must be received 3 weeks before the wedding then I would only give money back if I am able to fill that space.

Hth

I wouldn't give it back. It was a non refundable deposit, which as you say, you made clear to her.
Just because the wedding is now cancelled, as harsh as it sounds, that's not your fault and therefore why should you go the loser? .. Like you say you have spent much time on communications about this wedding and have arranged and rearranged dates for her trial..and your time doesn't come for free. You are a business.

If I was in her shoes, I wouldn't expect to get my money back and I doubt she does either, but she probably feels she has nothing to lose and therefore it is worth asking.
It might even be that she hasn't even cancelled the wedding, but instead just Changed her mind or is looking at cutting costs and therefore may have found somebody cheaper to do it or may be doing it herself? Either way, I would not refund. After all it was a non-refundable deposit she paid and the whole point of the deposit is to secure the booking. For all she knows, you could have turned somebody down because she was booked in?! Xxx

She knew it was non-refundable, so you don't have to refund it.

No way why would you?

I can guarantee that the venue, caterers, do, cars etc etc have all held onto there deposits.

Deposits are for exactly this reason you are a business not a charity and irregardless of why she no longer is getting married or No longer needs your services is here nor there. She was well aware it was non refundable.

I would simple email her back something very polite saying I am so sorry to hear you are no longer getting married and I hope all is ok. As per my terms and conditions the deposit is non refundable, although if you would like to book for another date in the future then I will happily transfer the deposit to that date (don't have to say that but sounds like your trying to be nice).

And leave it at that.

Sounds a bit fishy to me, one min it's her and bridesmaids, then just her, then the last min changes. It honestly sounds to me like she wanted to cancel but felt too embarrassed to say so, and as usual instead of just telling us straight, clients feel they have to come up with elaborate excuses why they can't attend an app.

I know you feel for her but you have made it clear so I wouldnt refund it, and in all fairness she shouldn't really be asking.

Another agreement! You've clearly done alot of messing around for this client. I cancelled a wedding years ago (too young lol thank god I did) and I didn't expect deposits back.
So just to reiterate....
No way xx

If you have put in writing to her that it was non refundable then don't refund, however you could run into problem if it's was just a verbal agreement you had with her.

I send out contracts for trials and one for on the day and get the client to sign them.

If you have put in writing to her that it was non refundable then don't refund, however you could run into problem if it's was just a verbal agreement you had with her.

I send out contracts for trials and one for on the day and get the client to sign them.

Totally agree with this, even though most say dont refund if it does get messy and for arguments sake she took legal action to get her money back then it is down to YOU to prove you supplied the client with the terms and conditions of your service(and proof they accepted)this could come in a few forms, you mentioned she emailed you, if you responded with an email with your T&C's and a statement for her to respond to said email to accept terms then this would class as acceptance to the T&C's

If it is verbal, then you havent got a leg to stand on I am afraid.

You also have to look into Distance selling Regulations too, if this was done through website/email/phone

This is why so many companies have a check box stating have you read the terms and conditions on their website where you have to tick a box as acceptance. It covers your backend, and sorry but having it in your FAQ's isnt good enough.

No way to a refund. Non refundable is exactly what it states on the tin.

I also think it sounds a bit fishy . . . keep the money and run. You have wasted enough time on her already.

Good luck xx

i must be soft but i'd give some of it , probably half of it back to her.the poor girl, horrible for her having to call off her wedding, how awful...and she has given you plenty of notice and you aren't out any money only for the time you spent on emails to her.
it's up to you ofcourse but it'd be different if she cancelled a week or 2 before hand i think. JMO..

i must be soft but i'd give some of it , probably half of it back to her.the poor girl, horrible for her having to call off her wedding, how awful...and she has given you plenty of notice and you aren't out any money only for the time you spent on emails to her.
it's up to you ofcourse but it'd be different if she cancelled a week or 2 before hand i think. JMO..

I can understand its not nice to cancel a wedding, and its only time, but time is money and not to sound nasty, but tough titties she's cancelled her wedding IMO.

Send an email saying sorry for the unfortunate circumstances, but as stated in the email sent *insert date and time of email with the non refundable bit* all deposits are non refundable.

I'd say for the time she has wasted of yours she still owes you xoxo

Thank you for your replies.

I'm glad most of you have said not to refund as this is what I wanted to do but wanted to check with you lovely people that it was the right thing to do first, as I too fall soft when it comes to other peoples problems. If I did give her the money back I know I would resent it, I wouldn't expect anything back if it was me and as mentioned earlier, she may not have even cancelled the wedding for all I know.

So I'm going to be brave and explain very nicely why she is not due a refund, thank you everyone and I will let you know what happens x

How much is your deposit? I have 20% non refundable and the 50% if not given 48hours in advance.

I can't say what I would do as I usually do a trail and make sure there happy then take a deposit.

Let us know how you get on :)

Latest posts

Back