Wedding trial, need help, please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDmakeup

Reaction score
I'm trained beauty therapist and make-up artist but having not enjoyed my make-up course at college I decided to stick really to beauty. My make-up kit has kind of run down a bit.

I was approached this morning by a family friend who asked if I would be able to do a trial for her daughter who is getting married at the end of the summer. She had a trial with somebody yesterday and hated it so I felt like I had to say yes. I have never done wedding trial make-up or wedding make-up apart from on my bridal assessment at college so I'm feeling a bit ill about it. Especially because this woman who asked me always makes me feel inferior for some reason so I know I'll be super nervous on the day.
I'm a trained beauty therapist and make-up artist but having not enjoyed my make-up course at college I decided to stick really to beauty. My make-up kit has kind of run down a bit. She's going to get in touch soon so I'll ask what it is she is looking for etc but I have a few questions which I hope somebody could answer for me.
Firstly as I said my kit is running really low so what products do I buy? For make-up artists who do weddings what are your bridal staples?
How much do I charge for the trial?

I did have more questions but can't seem to remember them so I'll get back to you with them lol.
Thanks in advance.

I'm trained beauty therapist and make-up artist but having not enjoyed my make-up course at college I decided to stick really to beauty. My make-up kit has kind of run down a bit.

I was approached this morning by a family friend who asked if I would be able to do a trial for her daughter who is getting married at the end of the summer. She had a trial with somebody yesterday and hated it so I felt like I had to say yes. I have never done wedding trial make-up or wedding make-up apart from on my bridal assessment at college so I'm feeling a bit ill about it. Especially because this woman who asked me always makes me feel inferior for some reason so I know I'll be super nervous on the day.
I'm a trained beauty therapist and make-up artist but having not enjoyed my make-up course at college I decided to stick really to beauty. My make-up kit has kind of run down a bit. She's going to get in touch soon so I'll ask what it is she is looking for etc but I have a few questions which I hope somebody could answer for me.

Firstly as I said my kit is running really low so what products do I buy? For make-up artists who do weddings what are your bridal staples?
How much do I charge for the trial?

I did have more questions but can't seem to remember them so I'll get back to you with them lol.
Thanks in advance.

To be honest, if you don't really enjoy make-up and don't feel confident doing it then you really need to think hard about taking this job on.

Not only will you have to spend money on decent products (which you may then not use again before they expire), it is someone's BIG day and personally, I would want a make up artist who feels excited and inspired rather than doubtful and unsure.

Who knows, you may do the trial and all will be well and you might get your mojo back with make up but it is a bit telling that you've side-lined make up in favour of beauty and have let your kit run down.

I think you need to be completely honest with yourself here because I'm not getting the impression that you are all that keen to do it!

PB
x

I totally get what you are saying especially as it's her wedding day but the trial would be an opportunity for us to give it a go and hopefully get what the bride wants out of it. She has the final decision. I've given a few friends a call to pactice some bridal make-up. I feel that doing the trial will reignite that spark for make-up I know I have in me, will add to my portfolio and if all went well could add it to my list of treatments/services. This doesn't help my nerves though.

I totally get what you are saying especially as it's her wedding day but the trial would be an opportunity for us to give it a go and hopefully get what the bride wants out of it. She has the final decision. I've given a few friends a call to pactice some bridal make-up. I feel that doing the trial will reignite that spark for make-up I know I have in me, will add to my portfolio and if all went well could add it to my list of treatments/services. This doesn't help my nerves though.

A few trial treatments on friends sounds like a great idea and may well give you your confidence back :)

It may be that you are just rusty and need a bit of practice and if all goes well then it will be another great service to add to your list.

And nerves aren't always a bad thing......sometimes they help to keep us sharp and on top of our game. I'm sure that you will soon get them under control once you have a few practice runs under your belt!

All the best
PB
x

Hope so. Thank you :) x

why dont you ask the bride if she wants to buy some new make up that you can apply for her on the day but then she would be able to touch it up in the day and have for her honeymoon??also you could recommend a make that you like, this way you dont have to fork out so much to do her make up.....

if you want to invest in some make up but dont want to spend loads have a look on qvc website, i use laura geller, you get sets at a great price and it lasts really well also, i have this in my make up kit amongst other makes and also used it on myself on my wedding day hth

im in the same situation kind of. i need to get some reasonably priced foundations i was told rmca colour process foundation but as its a theatrical foundation could i use it for a wedding im totally confused also mavilia from beauty express? what about revlon colour stay would that be suitable? help xxx

Latest posts

Back