Weekends off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesXXX

Reaction score
I work for myself as a hairdresser, am busy all week long but of course the weekend and evenings are the most in demand times. The problem is, I’ve done this weekend and evening work for 15 years and it’s now really getting to me. I hardly ever get to see my partner who works 9-5, and we’re now trying to renovate our house which is just not happening because of my weekend work, we are rarely off on the same day at once (maybe 1 or 2 days a month for social events) and I feel like we don’t get enough time together in the evenings. I’m thinking about when I have children too, which we want to do pretty soon, and these awkward hours just aren’t going to work for my life long-term. I love my job and look forward to it every week day, but I hate having to go off early on a Saturday leaving my partner in bed and missing the weekends. I miss all family events, seeing friends and attending anything fun. Having a day off in the week is really useless to me and I’ve even just started working on that day anyway because I get lonely hanging about while everyone else I know is at work. I really want to make my working week Mon-Fri 9-6, I have enough work to fill up this time frame, but I’m so worried about letting down all my evening and weekend clients, which is probably about half of them. Has anyone ever stopped working out-of-hours times and gone ‘normal’ with your working hours as a Hairdresser or beauty therapist? I feel lucky to have the choice to control this, but at the same time it’s giving me anxiety the thought of telling so many of my friends and clients that I basically can’t do their hair anymore, unless they start taking days off work in the week.

If you have enough clients to fill Monday to Friday then just set a date on which you will change, bite the bullet and make the announcement .
You'll be surprised how many clients can come in the day if nothing else available.
Discuss with your partner of course. Perhaps just offer 2 evenings as a compromise?

Thanks for the advice. The problem with the evenings is I get so tired, because I don’t start any later those days (I have no use of a spare 3 hours in a weekday morning so I just book clients in), so if I finish at 8 I’m actually doing nearly a 13 hour day including the travelling. And I sometimes don’t get to have lunch (obviously, the classic hairdresser thing!) so doing that two days a week is going to exhaust me. I used to do it when I was younger but I don’t function well the next day when I work the evenings, I’m always better starting early and finishing normal time or I just don’t feel healthy. I just want to work when the rest of the world works!

Thanks for the advice. The problem with the evenings is I get so tired, because I don’t start any later those days (I have no use of a spare 3 hours in a weekday morning so I just book clients in), so if I finish at 8 I’m actually doing nearly a 13 hour day including the travelling. And I sometimes don’t get to have lunch (obviously, the classic hairdresser thing!) so doing that two days a week is going to exhaust me. I used to do it when I was younger but I don’t function well the next day when I work the evenings, I’m always better starting early and finishing normal time or I just don’t feel healthy. I just want to work when the rest of the world works!

I think you have answered your own question... make the change and find your new life balance

If you are happy with taking less money then have your life back. When you are getting so knackered with those silly long days you have got to make the change. Only you can do the change!
I don't work after 6.00 nor at the weekends , currently trying to remove friday booings after 12.00 too. I am old and want more time for other things in life , like time with my family. You don't say your age , but it is so very normal to think of your quality of life, it is not just earnings based.
Clearly you are fed up with what is happening now otherwise you would not post your problem.
CFBS is right you need to make the change... sweetheart ....do it for you !

Just another thought ... when you make the announcement, then would be the perfect time to raise your prices too.
This will probably get rid of some clients for you which will help and make up some of the shortfall of not working so many hours.

I've been in beauty thirty years and I have always found that clients prefer to have their treatments during the week rather than break into their weekend family time (ironic isn't it!)
Ultimately, we bend over backwards for our clients but they will drop us at the slightest issue or inconvenience. There is no shortage of salons for them to go to these days!!

I’ve just raised my prices so I’m all set!

I’ve made the announcement to them now, I know there are still going to be some who repeatedly ask me to do the out-of-hours times but I’ve been doing clients’ hair whenever they want it, whether I want to or not since I was 17 (am now 35) and I’m now at a stage where I’m not willing to constantly miss out all the family events, friends’ birthday parties etc which I’ve been doing for years. I don’t need that extra money that I get on the weekends and would far rather have the time, it’s just the worry of upsetting people that’s getting to me! A lot of the ‘weekend clients’ are actually friends and family so I don’t know when I’d do their hair, cos they all work. I spose they’ll have to just fit in with me somehow, none of these people have ever done me any favours in return!

are actually friends and family so I don’t know when I’d do their hair, cos they all work. I spose they’ll have to just fit in with me somehow, none of these people have ever done me any favours in return!

Nope, none of these people are your friends...you are 'friendly' but real friends would not expect you to sacrifice time with your family just to do their hair. It's a hard lesson and it hurts because you invest your time and emotions into these clients, but they are just that - clients.

Enjoy your new found freedom, make memories and have a fun life, we're not here long enough to work all the time

I’ve made the announcement to them now, I know there are still going to be some who repeatedly ask me to do the out-of-hours times but I’ve been doing clients’ hair whenever they want it, whether I want to or not since I was 17 (am now 35) and I’m now at a stage where I’m not willing to constantly miss out all the family events, friends’ birthday parties etc which I’ve been doing for years. I don’t need that extra money that I get on the weekends and would far rather have the time, it’s just the worry of upsetting people that’s getting to me! A lot of the ‘weekend clients’ are actually friends and family so I don’t know when I’d do their hair, cos they all work. I spose they’ll have to just fit in with me somehow, none of these people have ever done me any favours in return!
You only get one life, don't regret not getting time with your family and friends. If your weekend clients are family and friends then they should understand, they'll have to find time in the week like everyone else if they want you to cut their hair. :)

Latest posts

Back