Weight loss surgery

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachael204

Reaction score
Evening Geeks

I am looking into having another weight loss op. Will give you a bit of background on me -

I weighed 23 stone 4 lbs when I had a gastric bypass operation in 2005 and I managed to get down to around 16 stone 7lbs. Through one thing and another, unhappy relationship and a very unsupportive partner I have put on weight. I also gave up smoking 18 months ago and I have gained over 2 stone when I weighed myself last week. I can eat far more than I used to be able to and am not happy with the way I am.

My life has completely changed in the last few years, I am no longer in an unhappy relationship and am married, I am 36 and we want to start a family. I really struggle with my weight and really don't want to be an at risk mum due to my size.

I thought I was stuck like this then I Googled my surgeon and saw that I am not the only one who didn't manage to be successful the first time round. There is a new treatment on offer - Restorative Obesity Surgery Endolumenal (Rose) and I am really interested in it.

Apparently with more research now into the gastric bypass it doesn't have a great success rate - patients can stretch the tiny pouch of new stomach by over eating (hands up - I did) and this op makes tucks in the stomach to make it smaller again.

Anyone have any info on this? Any stories of their own weight loss ops good or bad? Thanks for reading!! xx

Evening Geeks

I am looking into having another weight loss op. Will give you a bit of background on me -

I weighed 23 stone 4 lbs when I had a gastric bypass operation in 2005 and I managed to get down to around 16 stone 7lbs. Through one thing and another, unhappy relationship and a very unsupportive partner I have put on weight. I also gave up smoking 18 months ago and I have gained over 2 stone when I weighed myself last week. I can eat far more than I used to be able to and am not happy with the way I am.

My life has completely changed in the last few years, I am no longer in an unhappy relationship and am married, I am 36 and we want to start a family. I really struggle with my weight and really don't want to be an at risk mum due to my size.

I thought I was stuck like this then I Googled my surgeon and saw that I am not the only one who didn't manage to be successful the first time round. There is a new treatment on offer - Restorative Obesity Surgery Endolumenal (Rose) and I am really interested in it.

Apparently with more research now into the gastric bypass it doesn't have a great success rate - patients can stretch the tiny pouch of new stomach by over eating (hands up - I did) and this op makes tucks in the stomach to make it smaller again.

Anyone have any info on this? Any stories of their own weight loss ops good or bad? Thanks for reading!! xx

Hi, didn't want to read and run..
wow sound like you've been through alot already - but is there a chance you can overstretch that one too??

When I was trying to lose a couple of stone - i bought and downloaded the hynotherapy course it cost about £16 and you listen to one thing for a week then the 2nd for a week etc etc for 4 weeks - but it had also a gastric band one included and i listened to that every day and within 3 days i physically could not eat as much as i wanted - as it made me feel sick - also the things i love like choc etc tasted terrible... and yes i did lose weight and ate healthier without even realising it.

How about trying that?

good luck i am sure you will succeed after all you've done it before ;)

Hi, didn't want to read and run..
wow sound like you've been through alot already - but is there a chance you can overstretch that one too??

When I was trying to lose a couple of stone - i bought and downloaded the hynotherapy course it cost about £16 and you listen to one thing for a week then the 2nd for a week etc etc for 4 weeks - but it had also a gastric band one included and i listened to that every day and within 3 days i physically could not eat as much as i wanted - as it made me feel sick - also the things i love like choc etc tasted terrible... and yes i did lose weight and ate healthier without even realising it.

How about trying that?

good luck i am sure you will succeed after all you've done it before ;)

Where is it!? What's it called? More info required please! :lol::lol::lol:

thank you :)

I will definitely look into that too! We definitely need some more info on that please!

I think if I go the surgery route again I will be armed this time with the knowledge that it can fail - when I had the original surgery I had no idea it could fail! This op is also non invasive so no really long recovery - just a very large bill!

Hi all, I've had a gastric band about three years ago and have lost about 6 stone so far still a couple to go!! I really believe that it's your frame if mind and if you stretched it before you could probably do it again!! I didn't lose loads at first on my band as I could still eat the naughty soft food ie, chocolate, ice cream etc etc, but it's only really the last few months that I have lost most of my weight as I have had a totally different mind frame, thinking more about being healthy as I am also 36 and getting on a bit now, I look differently at eating when I am out as I don't feel crappy about ordering the healthy dinner ( I used to feel like I was missing out) But actually feel good about choosing the healthy option cause it's good for me.

I hope I've not rambled on too much but I know how frustrating it is to be greatly overweight, but I would also try the hypnotherpy, as I did this for flying last year and it worked a treat, and I was a very big sceptic on this kinda thing x x

Yes of course... It's by Margaret Turner it was a Groupon I think...
I was emailed the links for it, wonder if it's possible to send it on?? I can try if you pm me with your email address I will give it a try over the weekend for you x

Almost every person I know who has had weight loss surgery has gained most, if not all, the weight back. So, although the surgery may be successful in the beginning, it's not in the long term. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet.

Instead of opting for another surgery, how 'bout living a healthy lifestyle?

Keeping calories between 1200 to 1500 and walking about 20 mins. a day will certainly get the weight off.

My heart goes out to you as I need to lose weight, too. :hug:

I had a friend who had the same story as you, she did loose a lot of weight, and I guess by normal standards she was still overweight.
But to go from 26 stone to 16 is not bad going, but loosing the rest of it seemed to be a far of dream.
She went on lighter life to loose the rest.
Two things about that, because of the bypass she lost between 12lb and a stone each week, she had to be monitored by her doctor and have injections every week while on the diet to stop her iron etc from becoming to low.
Anyway the reason why the lighter life worked is because you have a food councillor and a support group with you every step of the way.
So over the weeks that you attend, you don't just get weighted you get counselling as to why you over eat and how to change what's in your head about your relationship to food.
So long as you commit to the whole program you can have long lasting results from it. From the first milk shake right the way to re introducing food into your life and on to the maintenance weight program. My friend still goes once a month to meet with her councillor and her BMI is now 22 and has been for 4 years.
She's also no longer diabetic and her blood pressure is normal.
hth x

I really feel for you, but think the best way to go may be something that offers a lot of support and some accountability. I'm not sure what program's are available there, but surely it's a better way to spend your money than getting surgery then pretty much left to yourself to do it all. With surgeries like gastric banding, you can very easily become malnourished, because it only limits how much you can consume, not the quality.
If you want to have children, it would be better to be healthy, but even losing the weight doesn't guarantee that. I've had two children and have been advised not to have more because of being too high risk. I'm only 50kgs (not sure how many stone that is, sorry), and had diabetes both times, became insulin dependent, hospitalised with high blood pressure first pregnancy, induced early, both times the baby was in distress. Second one was born with dangerously low blood sugars... The list goes on, but I won't bore you any more. My point is, you need to do it for you, because you could be the fittest and healthiest person ever, but when you fall pregnant, absolutely anything can happen. Do whatever makes you happy and healthy, that's what will make you a great wife and mother, not what the scales say.
Sorry for the long reply.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I am going to speak to the doctor in 3 weeks, that gives me plenty of time for research before I commit to anything.

xxx

My sister is a massive success story of weightloss... the natural way!

She weighed at her heaviest 22st 8lb, 5ft 7'' aged just 18, she was that depressed from being obese she sat & ate more as she said food is what stopped her feeling sad. she put 7 stone on in 2 years. she was also on other medication at the time due to other health issues so wasn't allowed to take slimming pills.

she'd tried so many times to diet, lost a couple of lb & gave up.

It was really sad to see someone that sad all the time but all through her own faults. I used to get really upset that she just wouldn't help herself.

one night she rang me sobbing saying she couldn't hack it no longer & that she didn't even want to leave the house, she had high blood pressure at 18 ! & the dr said if she didn't lose some weight he wouldn't give her until her 30th birthday :eek: scary stuff!!!

I'm so proud to say through pure & utter determination she now weighs 15 stone! just from healthy eating & the gym.

She's just joined weightwatchers to lose another 3 stone as her goal is to be 12 stone. I'm so pleased with what she's achieved bless her.

What I'm trying to say is even bigger ladies don't have to revert to surgery, it isn't the only option available.
Good luck with whatever you decide though. xxx

Hi Rachael,

From what you mentioned in your opening post, it seems like you could be an emotional eater? I may be wrong, but if I'm not, I would say you would be more successful in putting the money into some Psychotherapy, to explore why, and then it will arm you to change your eating patterns for life.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :hug:

Latest posts

Back