Weird Experience .. or was it ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_lucy

Reaction score
I went into a new salon to have a gel overlay on my nails, usually the technitian would use a liquid (gelly) substance which is cured under a lamp. This girl however used a powder and what I can only think is the same monomer used in acrylics and then cured it under a lamp - its really strong, its been 3 weeks and ive had no peeling - and they are rock hard dispite being really thin. Im worried ive unknowingly had an MMA overlay - I did ask the technitian to show me the pot the powder was in because I was concerned and it said "gel powder"

Do I go to another salon from now on ?

Will they know what the hell it is on my nails ?

WORRIED ..

By the way - found this - this is what they used. I feel a real idiot because im creative trained but never went into business, im worried i should have never let this person TOUCH my nails !

lechatnails.co.uk : Powder Gel

Hi,

I don't want to make rash statements and say that MMA has been used on your nails, but gel is just that - GEL, in liquid (jelly for lack of a better word) form.

If a powder and liquid was used, you've had L&P applied, which may or may not be MMA, but it certainly wasn't gel.

Marlise

If it was the Lechat system....then as far as I am aware there is no MMA.
Some geeks use this system and I am sure they will post and confirm this and reassure you.

This is a system that does use powder but when mxed with the monomer they use it doesn't set until cured under a UV light. An Acrygel system.

I used to work with a technician who used this sort of system and she did beautiful nails...but it took her ages as she was always faffing about before she would cure it.
When she switched over to CND L&P after her initial terror of only having 3 minutes before her product was set....she still did absolutely beautiful nails...in less time!!

If it was the Lechat system....then as far as I am aware there is no MMA.
Some geeks use this system and I am sure they will post and confirm this and reassure you.

This is a system that does use powder but when mxed with the monomer they use it doesn't set until cured under a UV light. An Acrygel system.

I used to work with a technician who used this sort of system and she did beautiful nails...but it took her ages as she was always faffing about before she would cure it.

Oops, sorry ! :smack:

I forgot about the Acrygel ..... I'll just go stand in the naughty corner now...

Marlise

That has reassured me somewhat :), I must admit she did do an absolutely beautful job and she really did faff with my nails until they were perfect. She then set them under the UV light once she had done all the work. I have looked after them really well using solar oil every night so maybe thats why they have been so durable rather than the fact they are MMA .. heres hoping!!

That has reassured me somewhat :), I must admit she did do an absolutely beautful job and she really did faff with my nails until they were perfect. She then set them under the UV light once she had done all the work. I have looked after them really well using solar oil every night so maybe thats why they have been so durable rather than the fact they are MMA .. heres hoping!!

Did you happen to see a brand name on the pot ?

Marlise

its really strong, its been 3 weeks and ive had no peeling - and they are rock hard dispite being really thin.

I can understand your concerns but hopefully they are unfounded :)

It is perfectly possible for nails to be still perfect after 3 weeks (without MMA being used) - I have a lot of clients who return to me in this timeframe and often nothing needs doing in the way of repairs etc, just straightforward maintenance (I use Ezflow l&p btw). It sounds like she has done a nice job of your nails, be sure to get back very soon for your maintenance appointment. Just because they are perfect now, don't push your luck :lol:, nip it in the bud and get them rebalanced BEFORE anything happens to them

No worries ... im booked in on Saturday :green:

Ill make a note of the brand name when i go and post on here. xx

I went into a new salon to have a gel overlay on my nails, usually the technitian would use a liquid (gelly) substance which is cured under a lamp. This girl however used a powder and what I can only think is the same monomer used in acrylics and then cured it under a lamp - its really strong, its been 3 weeks and ive had no peeling - and they are rock hard dispite being really thin. Im worried ive unknowingly had an MMA overlay - I did ask the technitian to show me the pot the powder was in because I was concerned and it said "gel powder"

WORRIED ..

By the way - found this - this is what they used. I feel a real idiot because im creative trained but never went into business, im worried i should have never let this person TOUCH my nails !

lechatnails.co.uk : Powder Gel

dont worry, lechat powder gel is a fab product and free from mma and perfectly safe. its still fairly new to this country so thats why you may not have come across t before. its now used in over 60 countries.

the application you describe is not what i would have expected from the powder gel though. it is applied as a gel from a polish style bottle and then gel is sprinkled on and nails are cured in a lamp. it makes a very strong thin nail.

i think what you may have had is the older product, lechat original formula that is used with a monomer.
still safe though and as long as the technician used proper techniques you should have a great set of nails.

You've got to admire a company that calls themselves "The Cat" :) :hug:

Marlise

I did ask the technitian to show me the pot the powder was in because I was concerned and it said "gel powder"

l
In all honesty, I think your tech should have explained and showed you what products she was using when you asked her. That is your right and her job. Just showing you a pot with 'gel powder' on it tells one nothing.

It would bother me that she didn't discuss what she was using. JMO.

*Isabel - I use the Acrygel as well but mine uses No Monomer:confused: Mine is strickly the Acrygel "Gel" and Acrygel "powder" so I'm confused about the "monomer" part ?

I use acrylic gel, its a powder and uses a monomer but it does not smell it is cured under the lamp for 4 mins, it is also quite strong, quite nice to work with, have'nt used it much latley, everyone wants l&p.

Was it an NSS salon?
did they file the acrylic before putting it under the lamp?

Where are some of you girls coming from!!??

MMA is a MONOMER! A monomer is a liquid. That is the stuff that causes such problems and is banned in the US!

A powder (in a nail system) is almost always a co-polymer. This is a blend of EMA and MMA and is already 'cured'. It causes no problems!!!

Gel sometimes causes sensitivity problems as it has an amount of uncured monomer in it. This is not the same problem as an MMA monomer but can be a different one.

All of the products are a member of the 'acrylic' family of chemicals, which is huge!

An 'acrygel' that uses a liquid and a powder is a liquid and powder system! It just happens to be a 'low odour' version.

A system with a UV gel and a powder is just that! The addition of the powder is just extra polymer support. There is just no liquid monomer used (but it is in the uncured gel)

Le Chat has been in the UK on and off for years and years. It has had many different distributors and is a perfectly good brand.

Please have a better understanding of exactly what you are using!

Latest posts

Back