Wella 10/1 toner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseKay

Reaction score
Left my highlights to grow out and had about 4 inches of base 6 regrowth. Did bleach and 9% highlights because that's all I had at home and they turned out yellow as I expected. I am going to use Wella 10/1 to tone them but what's the best method? On towel dried or dry hair? Also how long shall I leave it and what strength developer should I use? Thanks x

You need to tone with something other than 10/1 the /1 tones aren't the best for toning with is that all you have access to?

Follow the instructions on the inside of the box for mixing and visual development I wouldn't say there's a set time

Yeah I ordered 10/16 but they sent me 10/1 instead and aren't responding to my messages. I think I am just going to have to order 10/16 elsewhere

Where is it your getting it from? Can you not get to a local wholesalers? When you say yellow what tone is it your at? X

If you only had 9% what are you going to mix the toner with?

I ordered it from ebay. The wholesalers I usually go to has closed now and moved further away and I can't get to one. It's not that bad and I wouldn't have been bothered but a friend told me it was 'proper yellow' and it's made me feel a bit self conscious :( x

I don't only have 9%. I said I had only 9% at the time I did the highlights. I bought 12% with the 10/16 I ordered.

I don't only have 9%. I said I had only 9% at the time I did the highlights. I bought 12% with the 10/16 I ordered.
You're going to tone with 12%

I've got to ask, are you a qualified hairdresser?

You're going to tone with 12%

I've got to ask, are you a qualified hairdresser?

Yes I am but not worked in a salon for many years due to anxiety which is why I am asking for advice from a forum of professionals? I have never used a toner before hence why I asked which developer I should use and have seen so many conflicting posts online about which developer to use.

I'm not confident enough with my colour knowledge which is why I only colour my own hair and no one else's. I stick to cutting only.

This is the second time I have asked a question on here and recieved patronising replies with no actual advice. A simple 'I would use this colour with this developer' was what i was looking for, not people trying to patronise me. I won't be posting on here again.

Yes I am but not worked in a salon for many years due to anxiety which is why I am asking for advice from a forum of professionals? I have never used a toner before hence why I asked which developer I should use and have seen so many conflicting posts online about which developer to use.

I'm not confident enough with my colour knowledge which is why I only colour my own hair and no one else's. I stick to cutting only.

This is the second time I have asked a question on here and recieved patronising replies with no actual advice. A simple 'I would use this colour with this developer' was what i was looking for, not people trying to patronise me. I won't be posting on here again.

No one is patronising you just trying to understand your way of thinking.

You have to tone with a very low developer because you are only shifting the tone you are not lifting at all.

If you're this un confident in colour I think you would benefit from a colour refresher course, or getting someone else to do your hair.

Hi, I can understand what you mean by getting patronising replies on here at times, it's a shame as other forums I've been on people have been much friendlier. Sometimes you just need some advice not to made to feel like a fraud or clueless.

Anyway back to your hair
12% is for maximum lift, you need to tone so only need a very low peroxide.

Wella do a developer called pastel that you use 1+2 , you can mix that with the Koleston perfect range of colours on the 9 or 10 base range.

Colour touch and its developer are also good for toning.

If it's not too bad what about a good purple shampoo and conditioner?

I like using Affinage cool blonde range , they do a set with shampoo conditioner and a semi- permanent toner.
http://www.affinage.com/UK/PRO/products_cool_blonde.html

Last edited:
No-ones trying to be patronising at all. its against forum rules to give out infor to a non pro that's why questions get asked! We are trying to help you help yourself so instead of someone saying use this colour with this strength developer for this amount of time we are trying to help you learn aswel!

Is it just wella you use? Have a look at the wells thread on her a few of the well known geeks have gone into the tones numbering system it helped me a lot so that might be useful for you aswell!

I asked what tone the yellow is as if it's at a 9 the 10/1 or 10/16 will be pointless as it's not the right level you need to tone with! X

No one is patronising you just trying to understand your way of thinking.

If you're this un confident in colour I think you would benefit from a colour refresher course, or getting someone else to do your hair.

I'm not sure why checking that you're a qualified hairdresser is patronising.

There are plenty of DIYers on here so I always ask this question. No need to be offended or patronised. I'm following forum rules.

I agree with Jamie, a colour refresher course would help you.

I felt exactly the same as you ref patronising and feeling a fraud . I qualified years and years ago and very much out the loop it would be lovely if people would just help rather than offend . I am sure , like me you are fully aware you could do with doing a refresher course but if your not "working" in the industry it's not always cost effective . Hope you sort your highlights X

I felt exactly the same as you ref patronising and feeling a fraud . I qualified years and years ago and very much out the loop it would be lovely if people would just help rather than offend . I am sure , like me you are fully aware you could do with doing a refresher course but if your not "working" in the industry it's not always cost effective . Hope you sort your highlights X

Totally agree, I'm mobile and have nobody to run things by for a second opinion or if I have a query.
Sometimes I just wants quick answer from a professional just like if I was in a salon staff room and needed a bit of help!

Totally agree, I'm mobile and have nobody to run things by for a second opinion or if I have a query.
Sometimes I just wants quick answer from a professional just like if I was in a salon staff room and needed a bit of help!

That's exactly what this site is for, but if you think you need to tone with 12% then you're gonna need a little more help than this site can give you, that's not patronising that's the truth!

That's exactly what this site is for, but if you think you need to tone with 12% then you're gonna need a little more help than this site can give you, that's not patronising that's the truth!

No I think giving a quick bit of advice to someone who is qualified but not done any colouring for years , to help them get rid of a bit of yellow in their own hair is actually pretty simple.
We can all make mistakes and forget how things work when we've not done them for years .

Just try to look at it on the bright side. Just imagine if you had used that 12% to tone your hair with.. So its still a good thing that you had this forum for people warn you nonetheless. Nobody meant to be patronizing, its just a little shocking to hear that somebody would attempt to tone their hair with a 12%, as many people would consider this really basic fundamental color knowledge.

I actually just think your a little rude . There are ways in which to talk to people and you hunni may know not to tone with 12% but your people skills suck . Maybe there is a lesson there . We can each teach each other a little something

Latest posts

Back