Wella colour question-new to using Wella

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maitresse8

Reaction score
Hi, I am colour technician, my background is aveda but i am now switching to wella.

Obviously with colour theory there are the basic principles (primary colours, colour wheel, what neutralises and enhances), I did some research on wella colour, I am trying to understand the wella koleston 12 series

In aveda we use elc and different pure tones so we kind of make the colour, we control the how much pure tones we put in to determine how strong we want the result to be

q. could i use the wella 12 series on a base 6 and above? or has to be a level 7?

with the wella 12 series, i looked at the colour chart, learned the number system and the colour wheel

12/0 is just the highlift itself? if used on a base 7 it would look yellow because of the natural underlining pigment

12/81 must be really ashey (kind of like elc + pastel blue strong formula) - could I use this on a base 6 with the blue cancelling out the red-orange under tone?

12/16 - can I use this on a base 8 or above? or if i was doing highlights and someone wanted to break the highlights up with a high lift on a base level 10, can I use this neutralise the yellow?

2) what is /7?
i did some research apparently it is a mix of red, yellow and blue, but on the colour wheel it's more on the violet side? how does that work? is designed to kill golden tones on level's 5 and 6

3) if someone is a level 5 can I use the wella 12 series e.g 12/22 or 12/89? with 40 vol as a natural way of doing highlights?

4) can you use wella colour touch for colour correction and what is the procedure?

i am going to do a colour correction, she is a natural level 6, but has highlights I would have to pre pigment, in aveda we use 0n, ro and yo with liquid cta (kind of like wella 4%) blow dry it in, then put the permanent colour

what is the procedure for the wella way? do I use /43 since that has a red-gold base. (makes a orange base)

5) wella blondor, can you use a cream base and a lower developer if you wanted to do an ombre
**I only have experience using aveda enlightener**

6) can someone tell about wella magma, I know it lifts and tones? can i use it on a base 5, like wella limocello to create a nice level 8 look?

all answers will be tremendously helpful

I would call Wella's 800 number

Hi, I am colour technician, my background is aveda but i am now switching to wella.

Obviously with colour theory there are the basic principles (primary colours, colour wheel, what neutralises and enhances), I did some research on wella colour, I am trying to understand the wella koleston 12 series

In aveda we use elc and different pure tones so we kind of make the colour, we control the how much pure tones we put in to determine how strong we want the result to be

q. could i use the wella 12 series on a base 6 and above? or has to be a level 7?

with the wella 12 series, i looked at the colour chart, learned the number system and the colour wheel

12/0 is just the highlift itself? if used on a base 7 it would look yellow because of the natural underlining pigment

12/81 must be really ashey (kind of like elc + pastel blue strong formula) - could I use this on a base 6 with the blue cancelling out the red-orange under tone?

12/16 - can I use this on a base 8 or above? or if i was doing highlights and someone wanted to break the highlights up with a high lift on a base level 10, can I use this neutralise the yellow?

2) what is /7?
i did some research apparently it is a mix of red, yellow and blue, but on the colour wheel it's more on the violet side? how does that work? is designed to kill golden tones on level's 5 and 6

3) if someone is a level 5 can I use the wella 12 series e.g 12/22 or 12/89? with 40 vol as a natural way of doing highlights?

4) can you use wella colour touch for colour correction and what is the procedure?

i am going to do a colour correction, she is a natural level 6, but has highlights I would have to pre pigment, in aveda we use 0n, ro and yo with liquid cta (kind of like wella 4%) blow dry it in, then put the permanent colour

what is the procedure for the wella way? do I use /43 since that has a red-gold base. (makes a orange base)

5) wella blondor, can you use a cream base and a lower developer if you wanted to do an ombre
**I only have experience using aveda enlightener**

6) can someone tell about wella magma, I know it lifts and tones? can i use it on a base 5, like wella limocello to create a nice level 8 look?

all answers will be tremendously helpful
Hello I use both Aveda and Wella! I hope I can answer some of your questions but this is my personal opinion!
Q.) I would recommend using it with a level 7!
12/81 is a beautiful color but it gets extremely ashy meaning you need to watch the color.
The 12 series is meant for blondes not necessarily brunettes, yes it lifts but only about 4 levels for best results..
12/16 would be pretty for highlights to break it up it would take some of the yellow out.
2.) /7 I have never personally used but I heard that it was meant for that also!
3.) you can but I wouldn't.. Your better off using Blondor.
4.) what is the desired color? You can of course use that for correction color.
5.) if you were to do an ombré and you wanted to do a base at the same time I wouldn't use such a high developer that way you can let the ombré lift and the base oxidize.. I like free lights which is a hardening lighter.
6.) Magma is a great color line! I use it all the time and it saves lots of time. If you have the magma book it will show you the different colors you can get and what developers to use to get those colors!

I hope I helped a little! :)

Hello I use both Aveda and Wella! I hope I can answer some of your questions but this is my personal opinion!
Q.) I would recommend using it with a level 7!
12/81 is a beautiful color but it gets extremely ashy meaning you need to watch the color.
The 12 series is meant for blondes not necessarily brunettes, yes it lifts but only about 4 levels for best results..
12/16 would be pretty for highlights to break it up it would take some of the yellow out.
2.) /7 I have never personally used but I heard that it was meant for that also!
3.) you can but I wouldn't.. Your better off using Blondor.
4.) what is the desired color? You can of course use that for correction color.
5.) if you were to do an ombré and you wanted to do a base at the same time I wouldn't use such a high developer that way you can let the ombré lift and the base oxidize.. I like free lights which is a hardening lighter.
6.) Magma is a great color line! I use it all the time and it saves lots of time. If you have the magma book it will show you the different colors you can get and what developers to use to get those colors!

I hope I helped a little! :)

Are you recommending toning with the 12 series?

Are you recommending toning with the 12 series?
I tone wih the hilifts if I don't gave the right colours in illumnia or colour touch 12/81, 12/61 and 12/89 go really nice

/7 is brown as a reflect. So in a highlift it will not neutralize any ULP but softly enhance a warm pigmentation. So on a level 8 it will provide beige, on a level 7 a golden tone and on a level 6 a copper-gold tone.

/7 is brown as a reflect. So in a highlift it will not neutralize any ULP but softly enhance a warm pigmentation. So on a level 8 it will provide beige, on a level 7 a golden tone and on a level 6 a copper-gold tone.

I love the /7 line in wella love it for lowlighting in foils

I tone wih the hilifts if I don't gave the right colours in illumnia or colour touch 12/81, 12/61 and 12/89 go really nice

Yeah I wouldn't recommend that at all.

We have a special mix to make a 10/81, 10/61 or a 10/89.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend that at all.

We have a special mix to make a 10/81, 10/61 or a 10/89.
Well each to there own!!!! It as the wella technician that told use about toning with the 12 line

I like to tone with the 12 series line because that's what I was taught by Wella technicians as well. I only tone with the 12/81, or 12/16 not all of them but I do tone with some! Like I said it was my personal opinion on all of the questions!

Well each to there own!!!! It as the wella technician that told use about toning with the 12 line

Doesn't make it acceptable; just because they have the title 'wella technician' doesn't make them a source of omniscience.

Lots of people are called hairdressers, doesn't mean they're all amazing at what they do or have the knowledge they should.

I like to tone with the 12 series line because that's what I was taught by Wella technicians as well. I only tone with the 12/81, or 12/16 not all of them but I do tone with some! Like I said it was my personal opinion on all of the questions!

I don't know where all these technicians are coming from but the 12 line is a highlift colour. Its ammonia content is far beyond that of other colours as its intended to lift higher. The tone in them is much more intense which yeah maybe a plus side for toning but it may grab too fast, you're also unnecessarily damaging the hair resulting in loss of tone faster.

I don't know where all these technicians are coming from but the 12 line is a highlift colour. Its ammonia content is far beyond that of other colours as its intended to lift higher. The tone in them is much more intense which yeah maybe a plus side for toning but it may grab too fast, you're also unnecessarily damaging the hair resulting in loss of tone faster.
I know that's why I said you have to watch it, not everything is about following the rules. In hairdressing you can break the rules which makes you have more fun. I'm not saying to do what I do that's my opinion. As long as the client leaves with a color that he/she wants and its healthy than I've done my job.

I know that's why I said you have to watch it, not everything is about following the rules. In hairdressing you can break the rules which makes you have more fun. I'm not saying to do what I do that's my opinion. As long as the client leaves with a color that he/she wants and its healthy than I've done my job.

You can achieve what you do by not breaking the rules. Its not fun when your insurance wont cover you because you haven't followed MFI.

Precisely but you're not going to have healthy hair if you break the rules... There's a reason the rules are in place, to be followed. There IS a right and a wrong way to do things in hairdressing, more so when it comes to colour.

You can achieve what you do by not breaking the rules. Its not fun when your insurance wont cover you because you haven't followed MFI.

Precisely but you're not going to have healthy hair if you break the rules... There's a reason the rules are in place, to be followed. There IS a right and a wrong way to do things in hairdressing, more so when it comes to colour.
Okay so you do what you were taught and I'll do what I was taught. Like I said it was my opinion you don't have to follow it or even write back to me. It's not worth arguing over a hairdressers message board. I like what I do and other people do what I do, just like with you.

I, not being funny or anything but do you work in a salon cams?

Okay so you do what you were taught and I'll do what I was taught. Like I said it was my opinion you don't have to follow it or even write back to me. It's not worth arguing over a hairdressers message board. I like what I do and other people do what I do, just like with you.

That's absolutely fine you keep doing what you do. I'm merely trying to advise you however its your choice to take that advise or not to.

You probably are a brilliant hairdresser and i don't doubt that from the posts you've made across this forum.

I, not being funny or anything but do you work in a salon cams?

I'm not being funny or anything but why is that relevant?

Latest posts

Back