Wella cool toned tints

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caitlin Faulks

Caitlin
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm fully qualified in Loreal having completed my masters at the loreal academy in Melbourne Australia, however im just wondering if some of the colour rules in loreal transfer over to wella aswell.

When tinting with loreal it's recommended to lift one level of undercoat higher than your dream shade to get a TRUE cool reflect. ie; if your client is a natural 5 and wants a dream shade of 7.1 (ash) you'd use 30 vol to get your 3 levels of undercoat lift. Is this rule similar with Wella Koleston Perfect?
keep in mind that with loreal 20 vol = 2 levels of lift, 30vol = 3 levels of lift and so on. I know its different with Wella in the sense that 20vol = 1 level of lift and 30 vol = 2 levels of lift etc.

thanks!

Hi!

I'm fully qualified in Loreal having completed my masters at the loreal academy in Melbourne Australia, however im just wondering if some of the colour rules in loreal transfer over to wella aswell.

When tinting with loreal it's recommended to lift one level of undercoat higher than your dream shade to get a TRUE cool reflect. ie; if your client is a natural 5 and wants a dream shade of 7.1 (ash) you'd use 30 vol to get your 3 levels of undercoat lift. Is this rule similar with Wella Koleston Perfect?
keep in mind that with loreal 20 vol = 2 levels of lift, 30vol = 3 levels of lift and so on. I know its different with Wella in the sense that 20vol = 1 level of lift and 30 vol = 2 levels of lift etc.

thanks!
Yes so like you say with wella it's
20vol is 1 level
30vol is 2 levels
40vol is 3 levels
Unless you're using highlift.
Then it's 3-4 levels with 30vol
And 4-5levels with 40vol.
I do find that wella lifts well, but the cool tones are not so cool when using them to lift. If you want a cool tone, I'd be more inclined to lighten then tone afterwards.

Yes so like you say with wella it's
20vol is 1 level
30vol is 2 levels
40vol is 3 levels
Unless you're using highlift.
Then it's 3-4 levels with 30vol
And 4-5levels with 40vol.
I do find that wella lifts well, but the cool tones are not so cool when using them to lift. If you want a cool tone, I'd be more inclined to lighten then tone afterwards.
Ah yes! fantastic. I was almost waiting for you to comment Ron, you're great with Wella advice

Do tests to get yourself used to Wella as I find many Wella colors, particularly when you get into the blondes, deposit a bit darker than equivalently numbered colors from other lines.

Latest posts

Back