Wella Freelights development time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siansy

Reaction score
Hi all , I was very excited to finally get my hands on the Wella Freelights when it first went on sale at the beginning of January at my local Capital . To start I bought the 30vol developer . I have used for two Balayage applications . 1 on completely virgin hair natural level 7 slight red hint and one n natural level 6 ,
Applied using a board . No heat
I did not wrap or cover with foil . Timed for 20 minutes at first while watching as virgin hair and the another 15 to take to the level of lightness client was after . Looked very light even when removing some of the bleach but when washed and dried not as light as thought . Reapplied on certain areas and perfect created a gorgeous effect .
The natural 6 after about 45 minutes still very subtle although that s what client wanted was suprised that hadn't gone lighter in that time .
I wouldn't usually dream of using 40vol on lighten lengths but thinking it's either trying the 40 or going back to covering the hair with foil .
Anyone one else using the Freelights and what's your experiences ? Thanks guys x

I haven't actually used it that much To be honest, I don't find it lifts enough. Freelights with 6% has no way near as much lift as Blondor with 6%. So you do have to use higher.

It's similar with colour ID I'm really not a fan. Whenever I use it, the colours are patchy. I don't know if it's my application or its not penetrating enough. I never have problems with patchy colours at other times haha x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

My guess is that patchiness will occur with color id because the application is so different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

My guess is that patchiness will occur with color id because the application is so different.

Yeah I don't know if I need more practice or I just don't get on with the product x

40 vol isn't that bad when you're doing balayage. Try covering it in clingfilm, they say you don't need to but when its in open air the product dries out, cling film will keep the moisture in and help the product work faster rather than it drying out and completely slowing down.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421619798.728140.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421619818.244459.jpg
This is a freelights balayage with 12% on natural level 3 Asian hair. I left for 50 minutes and toned with 7/81 in illumina. It's definitely a great product for freehand but is much slower than blondor I've found.

Gorgeous results.

You need to give the full development time, and I would use 40vol. The fact that you can't use heat and you don't need cling film means it takes longer. As it says in the instructions. But the results are soft... But there's no harsh lines, no bleeding or swelling and I've had lush results with it.

Also with colour ID love it. But it feels strange.

40 vol isn't that bad when you're doing balayage. Try covering it in clingfilm, they say you don't need to but when its in open air the product dries out, cling film will keep the moisture in and help the product work faster rather than it drying out and completely slowing down.

Is it just kitchen clingfilm?

Is it just kitchen clingfilm?

You can get special film, I've seen it on videos from LA, but we use wilkos own ;-) hahaha x

Second what jamie said😂

We might look back at this one day like when clients say, is it just kitcken foil? Lmfao!

We might look back at this one day like when clients say, is it just kitcken foil? Lmfao!

Is it just the foil you get from asda? How can i do this myself at home? Can you buy them toners from superdrug?

Latest posts

Back