Wella help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylieee

Reaction score
Hi everyone..

Im new to wella, I love the results that I see online of wella. Would anyone give me any advice on how to get better knowledge on wella. Also I'm not great at formulating colours. I'm not sure if I over complicate things or I'm to nervous to do it incase it doesnt go right. Please can someone give me advice on how to become better at understanding formulating colours.

Hi everyone..

Im new to wella, I love the results that I see online of wella. Would anyone give me any advice on how to get better knowledge on wella. Also I'm not great at formulating colours. I'm not sure if I over complicate things or I'm to nervous to do it incase it doesnt go right. Please can someone give me advice on how to become better at understanding formulating colours.
If you check out their website, they have a few free courses on there, starting at basic levels and then progressing to colour correction etc.
In the future you may benefit from going on a course, colour correction probably would be useful one, these usually include problem solving and tips for formulating :)

Thank you. That's so helpful . I will do that .

Thank you. That's so helpful . I will do that .
In the meantime if you have anything you need help with, you're welcome to message me :)

In the meantime if you have anything you need help with, you're welcome to message me :)
Yes actually could u help me with what would be the benefit of using illumina over colour touch for a toner on bleach and tone?.. I see people use it and I just dont no why people wouldnt use a permanent over demi for toning

So with illumina the coverage is sheer, its naturally more violet than colour touch or koleston. There are different tones available in illumina that aren't available in CT. If you use illumina with the post colour treatment (which lowers the P. H) then you can create a gloss which will deposit tone only and leave the hair in beautiful condition.

Oh you explained that so well. Thank you. Is there any formulas you would recommend for platinum blonde. My client has fine texture hair and is in lovely condition. We are going to do a bleach and tone. I'm going to be using a p.h treatment as well. I know to lift low and slow to keep integrity of the hair . If shes lifts well her aim is to get to a colour like kim Kardashians or like this models hair. What would u suggest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-074004_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200707-074004_Instagram.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20200707-073822_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200707-073822_Pinterest.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 56
Oh you explained that so well. Thank you. Is there any formulas you would recommend for platinum blonde. My client has fine texture hair and is in lovely condition. We are going to do a bleach and tone. I'm going to be using a p.h treatment as well. I know to lift low and slow to keep integrity of the hair . If shes lifts well her aim is to get to a colour like kim Kardashians or like this models hair. What would u suggest.
Yeah to achieve this you'll have to lift the hair to a 10.
You have a few options really.
Colour touch 1parts 10/81+ 1part 9/16 +3parts 10/6.
Koleston 1part 10/86 + 2 parts 10/16
Koleston 8/69 + 10/8 or 9/8
Illumina 1 part 9/60 + 2 parts 10/1 could do this as a gloss! - it would be amazing.
These formulas are obviously just guides, you may need to play around with them a little to get it perfect for your client. :)

Oh you are so helpful. Thank you thank you!! How do I get so knowledgeable like you?

Oh you are so helpful. Thank you thank you!! How do I get so knowledgeable like you?
Thank you :) I'd say 90% of it is theory and 10% practice/experience. Whenever you look at a new colour situation.... Strip it back to basics, revert right back to your training. The colour wheel is your best friend! I mean I have done a few different courses with wella, and framesi. But I literally just studied wella so I know it like the back of my hand and that really helps :)

New member, licensed hairdresser. Love this this thread thank you for the color formulas ronray. I work often with Wella CT and recently started working with Illumina as toner, for platinum blondes such as these how much time do you suggest leaving the toner on for? I often panick at the first sight of darkening or violet and rinse and I fear that the toner may not be as effective if I don't leave it on for the full processing time. Thank you for your help.

New member, licensed hairdresser. Love this this thread thank you for the color formulas ronray. I work often with Wella CT and recently started working with Illumina as toner, for platinum blondes such as these how much time do you suggest leaving the toner on for? I often panick at the first sight of darkening or violet and rinse and I fear that the toner may not be as effective if I don't leave it on for the full processing time. Thank you for your help.
Generally I'd say its visual. Usually it takes a good 5+ mins before it'll actually start to deposit in to the hair.
Maximum is usually 20 mins.
If you're getting the results you need then keep doing what you're doing.
If you feel like it could have been cooler, then leave it and extra a few minutes.

Generally I'd say its visual. Usually it takes a good 5+ mins before it'll actually start to deposit in to the hair.
Maximum is usually 20 mins.
If you're getting the results you need then keep doing what you're doing.
If you feel like it could have been cooler, then leave it and extra a few minutes.
Thank you for your help, I will try processing longer and keep an eye on the tone, thanks again :)

Thank you for your help, I will try processing longer and keep an eye on the tone, thanks again :)
Don't forget the formula is tinted too, so it's always a good idea to wipe some hair clean with a towel or tissue to remove excess product, this will give you a closer indication of whether its done or not, if not don't forget to reapply product to that section.

I usually leave it 10-15min. I realised anything less than 10min will come off in 1-2 washes.

I usually leave it 10-15min. I realised anything less than 10min will come off in 1-2 washes.
Thank you for your reply! Do you usually mix in a clear to dilute to let it sit that long? I've used Redken shades eq and sometimes not diluting it with Clear would be too intense to leave on 10+ minutes.
Do you suggest using a 10/(illumina) or 10/0(CT) to dilute if necessary? Thanks again!

I also use Shade EQ and yes I do dilute with 00 and when I use Illumina I try to add 10/ most of the times. My fave combo is 10/ 10/36 and 10/69 and leave it for 10min, check it by scrapping off a bit of colour and if need it I’ll leave few more mins, no more than 5min. I always try to explain my clients that if they want the toner to last longer it will be a bit strong (so maybe more ashy) until they wash it once or twice. Try to always add a bit of warm shades into your toners so it doesn’t go murky, that’s why VG series in SEQ are so good 😊

My hairdresser left the toner on last time for 3min at the basin, it was Illumina and honestly it only lasted 1 wash. A bit disappointing as I pay extra for the toner.

I also use Shade EQ and yes I do dilute with 00 and when I use Illumina I try to add 10/ most of the times. My fave combo is 10/ 10/36 and 10/69 and leave it for 10min, check it by scrapping off a bit of colour and if need it I’ll leave few more mins, no more than 5min. I always try to explain my clients that if they want the toner to last longer it will be a bit strong (so maybe more ashy) until they wash it once or twice. Try to always add a bit of warm shades into your toners so it doesn’t go murky, that’s why VG series in SEQ are so good 😊
Thank you so much for your help, this explanation makes alot of sense. Thanks to everyone for all the help, this makes me feel more confident in my toning game 😊🙏💪

Hi,
Can I ask some advice on Shades EQ, as I've not used it before. I will be highlighting my nieces hair, who has a base of 4/5. I always lighten with Schwarzkopf Blonde me and will aim for 9/10. I have bought Shade 9N, 9VG and clear. Would you recommend a mix of these or would the VG be fine on it's own? Also, should I mix with the clear? Looking for a nice, creamy blonde.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back