Wella Illumina on yellow hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie9494

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question, I'm quite up to date with wella the illumination however I know some people have been using 7/81 for silver/granny grey hair.

I have a client with yellow 9 yellow ish brassy hair underneath, and some parts on top a level 10 but again yellowish and brassy.

She wanted to go slightly darker and her friend is a hairdresser and has said that she is going to do a full head colour of 7/81 with pastel to neutralize the yellow, and add a little depth.

Sounds weird to me, what do you guys think?

Thanks

Blue+Yellow=Shrek
The 8 will not neutralize the yellow

8/69 would be a lot better

Yes guys I thought this.. however I did wonder if illumina is violet based would it not, neutralize the yellow and then add a real a shy tone Thanks to the blue?

If she let me do her hair I would do a 9/60 underneath as a colour and then on top with the pastel, or potentially a 8/69 with lowlights scattered through. She normally comes to me for colours but has lost her job and so her friend is offereing to do it cheap. I don't know wether to ring her and explain that the colour is not suitable and that if it goes greeen, she will end up paying more for me to fix if, or leave it. I don't wanna interfere, or offended her or her friend !

Yes guys I thought this.. however I did wonder if illumina is violet based would it not, neutralize the yellow and then add a real a shy tone Thanks to the blue?

If she let me do her hair I would do a 9/60 underneath as a colour and then on top with the pastel, or potentially a 8/69 with lowlights scattered through. She normally comes to me for colours but has lost her job and so her friend is offereing to do it cheap. I don't know wether to ring her and explain that the colour is not suitable and that if it goes greeen, she will end up paying more for me to fix if, or leave it. I don't wanna interfere, or offended her or her friend !

No because its not violet enough to do that unfortunately. Don't interfere, if she wants to get her hair done on the cheap thats fine.

It's not your problem if she goes elsewhere and it goes green. But unfortunately it will be your problem if she comes crying, but crossthat bridge when you come to it :), something I read the other day has stuck in my mind ever since, always remember this ; cheap hair isn't nice, nice hair isn't cheap. If she wants her hair done on the cheap, and it goes green then that's her problem. But I bet she'll come to you to fix it, not the cheap hairdresser, but if course, this will be your chance to shine, as you already have a good idea of what you would do :)

Just curious, when would you guys use illumina 7/81? I love the shade and would just like an example :)

Just curious, when would you guys use illumina 7/81? I love the shade and would just like an example :)

On pale yellow for grey or to tone a 7 undertone.

Would it be suitable on a warm level 8 wanting a cooler tone and a touch darker?

Would it be suitable on a warm level 8 wanting a cooler tone and a touch darker?

If by a touch darker you mean a full depth yeah.

For some of my clients I use this as they're base colour, or part of the formula for they're base colour :) E.g 10g 7/81 + 15g 7/ +25g 6% is one of them, it's a lovely cool toned 7 base, that looks quite natural, another lady I use just 7/81 as her root colour, as she always said her root colour had an orange tint to it after a few washes ( I couldn't see it) so we use this now and it looks lovely, no fade, no warmth :) hope this helps

For some of my clients I use this as they're base colour, or part of the formula for they're base colour :) E.g 10g 7/81 + 15g 7/ +25g 6% is one of them, it's a lovely cool toned 7 base, that looks quite natural, another lady I use just 7/81 as her root colour, as she always said her root colour had an orange tint to it after a few washes ( I couldn't see it) so we use this now and it looks lovely, no fade, no warmth :) hope this helps

Thanks love, definitely going to try that [emoji4] xx

Latest posts

Back