Wella Koleston 7/ vs 7/0 vs 7/00 vs 77/0

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazsa

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a question regarding Wella Koleston Perfect. I understand how the numbering system works with all the tones except with the 0 (natural). Can someone explain to me what is the difference between 7/ or 7/0 or 7/00? Also how 77/0 comes into the picture and how to compare that to the others? When should you use which one? What do you need to consider when you would like to choose one of them?

I heard different opinions from colleagues, but what is the "science" behind it? I tried to google it, but I did not get any clear answer even from their Wella catalog: https://www.glemis.ro/pdf/catalog-vopsele-wella.pdf

Thanks in advance for your help.

7/ is in illumina it's for a sheer grey coverage,
77/0 is only used for course resistant white hair, and intense naturals are not to be mixed with any other colours in order to keep them potent, to insert tone to these intense naturals you can use mix tones
7/00 has less intense coverage suitable for hair that is not resistant I would use this when formulating for red fashion shades for grey coverage
7/0 is used for formulating for all other shades for grey coverage but is not suitable for resistant hair
Hope this helps

77/0 is only used for course resistant white hair, and intense naturals are not to be mixed with any other colours in order to keep them potent, to insert tone to these intense naturals you can use mix tones
7/00 has less intense coverage suitable for hair that is not resistant I would use this when formulating for red fashion shades for grey coverage
7/0 is used for formulating for all other shades for grey coverage but is not suitable for resistant hair
Hope this helps

Thanks, it makes much more sense now.

Very helpful explanation, thanks

I dont know about 7/ but

Attachments

• natural.png
    natural.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 404
Is that really true that naturals should not be used on own?
I use them on their own but I think a great explanation is that anyone can buy a light brown and slap it on where as if we are customising colours it makes them more unique to the client

Is that really true that naturals should not be used on own?
As far as I know they give greenish cast and that`s why they shouldnt be used on their own

The double bases are great for grey coverage , but in my experience are usually not needed unless very resistant Grey
I find the 99/0 and 88/0 fine but once you go to below a 77/0 they tend to be very Matt and tend to cover darker i.e. 66/0 is more like a 5 and if you overlap slightly i.e. Round hairline ( sometimes unavoidable ) you get banding

Hope this helps
I see this is an old thread but... with 77/0, are you saying that's not mixed with any other colours... you just use 77/0 on its own to cover resistant grey hair - is that right? Many thanks

I see this is an old thread but... with 77/0, are you saying that's not mixed with any other colours... you just use 77/0 on its own to cover resistant grey hair - is that right? Many thanks
Hello!

Resistant Cover shades, including 77/0 and other shades with two numbers in front of a zero, contain a higher amount of pigment than other shades, such as 7/0 or 7/00. This makes them effective for covering very resistant grey hair.

You can mix Resistant Cover shades with any other Resistant Cover shade, like 77/0 with 66/0 and 55/0, and you can also add Special Mix to your Resistant Cover formula.

The reason to avoid mixing Resistant Cover shades with non-Resistant Cover shades is not because of any potential weird chemical reaction or the like. Instead, it's because you would be unnecessarily diluting the pigment, which defeats the purpose of using Resistant Cover shades.

If you're new to using Resistant Cover, it's good to know that it's specifically designed for very resistant grey hair, not just any old grey hair. While it can work wonders in certain situations, there are a couple of things to keep in mind before making it your go-to option for covering white hairs. One thing to watch out for is that if you overlap previously dyed hair while touching up your roots, Resistant Cover can create more banding than other shades. Also, because it has a higher pigment load, it might leave more stains on your skin. Finally, if your hair doesn't need that heavy pigment load, Resistant Cover can make it look a little flat and dull. Having said all that, Resistant Cover is a great option if other shades aren't quite cutting it.

Last edited:
The double bases are great for grey coverage , but in my experience are usually not needed unless very resistant Grey
I find the 99/0 and 88/0 fine but once you go to below a 77/0 they tend to be very Matt and tend to cover darker i.e. 66/0 is more like a 5 and if you overlap slightly i.e. Round hairline ( sometimes unavoidable ) you get banding
I used 1/2 and 1/2 of 66/0 with 6/ 3,you’re right it did come out dark like level 5!

Is the ratio 50/50 with 2 shades mixed like I did using Wella Kolesten the recipe for 100% grey?
I might go down a level like this : 1/2 of 77/0 later on with 1/2 of 7/3? Yes?

The photo below is 66/0 mixed with 6/3. 50/50 of each. I know 66/0 would be flat but I’m thinking to try 77/0 alone next time. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used 1/2 and 1/2 of 66/0 with 6/ 3, it did come out dark like level 5! Is the ratio 50/50 with 2 shades mixed like did for 100% grey?
I might go for level 77/0 later on with 7/3?
The photo below is 66/0 mixed with 6/3. 50/50 of each.
Hello!

Resistant Cover shades, including 77/0 and other shades with two numbers in front of a zero, contain a higher amount of pigment than other shades, such as 7/0 or 7/00. This makes them effective for covering very resistant grey hair.

You can mix Resistant Cover shades with any other Resistant Cover shade, like 77/0 with 66/0 and 55/0, and you can also add Special Mix to your Resistant Cover formula.

The reason to avoid mixing Resistant Cover shades with non-Resistant Cover shades is not because of any potential weird chemical reaction or the like. Instead, it's because you would be unnecessarily diluting the pigment, which defeats the purpose of using Resistant Cover shades.

If you're new to using Resistant Cover, it's good to know that it's specifically designed for very resistant grey hair, not just any old grey hair. While it can work wonders in certain situations, there are a couple of things to keep in mind before making it your go-to option for covering white hairs. One thing to watch out for is that if you overlap previously dyed hair while touching up your roots, Resistant Cover can create more banding than other shades. Also, because it has a higher pigment load, it might leave more stains on your skin. Finally, if your hair doesn't need that heavy pigment load, Resistant Cover can make it look a little flat and dull. Having said all that, Resistant Cover is a great option if other shades aren't quite cutting it.
Im thinking if you don’t mix 66/0 with any other colour for example 6/3 it would be TOOOO flat! I do want a warm reflection …. 😢

Last edited:
Hope this helps

What do you mean? Can you tell what EXACTLY CAN be mixed with the intense naturals? I know using them alone will make the colour flat. I would like an example

Latest posts

Back