Wella Koleston newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc11530

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Hope you can help me with a Wella Koleston question. I just started to color and I'm not very familiar with Wella products.

My client is a base 6-ish with 25% white, coarse hair. She wanted a light brown so I first used 66/0 just to be safe & cover whites but it came out a bit darker than I wanted. Wella's colors run darker than I'm used to.

I then used 77/0 with 6% D but got a lot of red tone and didn't cover the whites 100% (should have mixed it with a 6 natural).

So now I'm thinking for the next session, I'll need to use green to counter the red and mix 66/0 to cover whites with a fashion shade to get a light ash brown like pic of the girl in blue below. So what shades do I use?

TY

Attachments

• ash brown.jpg
    ash brown.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 219
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 201
  • FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    933 KB · Views: 183
Is the white hair resistant?

I would have probably not gone in with the double base to begin with because there not too much white hair there.
The desired photo looks quite dark to me so I'd go back to a 6, something like 6/19 in Illumina if you use that range? If I wanted to be cautious I'd mix half 6/19 and half 6/.
If you wanted to stick to Koleston Perfect I think you could mix the /00's with an ash toned colour like 6/1 or 7/1

I would have probably not gone in with the double base to begin with because there not too much white hair there.
The desired photo looks quite dark to me so I'd go back to a 6, something like 6/19 in Illumina if you use that range? If I wanted to be cautious I'd mix half 6/19 and half 6/.
If you wanted to stick to Koleston Perfect I think you could mix the /00's with an ash toned colour like 6/1 or 7/1

Thank you; since there's a lot of red in her hair, shouldn't I use the /2 shade to neutralize it?

With you being in the us you have some colours that are unavailable to us here in the uk

/00 is double natural not double Base. This is the Base recommended to be mixed with a warm colour for extra coverage, as Koleston is warm based. I would use 6/1 with 6/0 and 6% on roots. Then colour touch 6/1 through the ends to mute the red. I don't know about the /2 because we don't have it in the uk but I imagine it will just be more effective than /1

/00 is double natural not double Base. This is the Base recommended to be mixed with a warm colour for extra coverage, as Koleston is warm based. I would use 6/1 with 6/0 and 6% on roots. Then colour touch 6/1 through the ends to mute the red. I don't know about the /2 because we don't have it in the uk but I imagine it will just be more effective than /1

Thanks Jamie, 66/0 came out a bit dark when I used it.. what do you think if I mix 6/0 with 7/1?

Thanks Jamie, 66/0 came out a bit dark when I used it.. what do you think if I mix 6/0 with 7/1?

66/0 will be dark because the non white hair doesn't need a colour that dense and it just goes darker.

6/0 and 6/1 will be a much truer 6.

If you use a 7/1 it will be too light for your desired look x

66/0 will be dark because the non white hair doesn't need a colour that dense and it just goes darker.

Thanks Jamie!

Thanks Jamie!
Jamie, I've tried what you suggested 6/0 + 6/1 but color comes out reddish. Any other idea?
FYI, client is a level 5 with 25% white but it looks like she's lost a lot of pigment, roots are more charcoal than brown. I tried 66/0 came out too dark, 7/1 came out too light as you said above (lots of red), 6/1 + 6/1 comes out slightly better than 6/0 + 7/1 but still lots of red. Any ideas?

Jamie, I've tried what you suggested 6/0 + 6/1 but color comes out reddish. Any other idea?
FYI, client is a level 5 with 25% white but it looks like she's lost a lot of pigment, roots are more charcoal than brown. I tried 66/0 came out too dark, 7/1 came out too light as you said above (lots of red), 6/0 + 6/1 comes out slightly better than 6/0 + 7/1 but still lots of red. Any ideas?

5/02 illumina . X

On it own is you are wanting to counteract red X

On it own is you are wanting to counteract red X

Hey sorry to be annoying, but I can't get 5/02 in the US; apparently it's a new shade. I do want the color to be a little lighter, more like a light brown, what would you recommend at the 6/ level to counteract red? I am willing to pay you for your advice via PayPal.

6/1 isn’t a warm shade

Hi guys,
Hope you can help me with a Wella Koleston question. I just started to color and I'm not very familiar with Wella products.

My client is a base 6-ish with 25% white, coarse hair. She wanted a light brown so I first used 66/0 just to be safe & cover whites but it came out a bit darker than I wanted. Wella's colors run darker than I'm used to.

I then used 77/0 with 6% D but got a lot of red tone and didn't cover the whites 100% (should have mixed it with a 6 natural).

So now I'm thinking for the next session, I'll need to use green to counter the red and mix 66/0 to cover whites with a fashion shade to get a light ash brown like pic of the girl in blue below. So what shades do I use?

TY
Yes. A law of hair coloring is that when covering grey(white) hair... You must have a percentage of your formula containing the N series in their natural hair color.

I go by matching %. So 25%= 1/4 of your formula should be 6N.

This is because we must replace the missing pigment in the white hair & the N,/.0 series has a balanced amount of red, yellow, blue pigment in it. When all 3 primary colors are mixed together, results are always shade of neutral browns through beiges as we go up to lighter levels.

Latest posts

Back