Wella Koleston Perfect colour chart - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loulahbell

Reaction score
I'm currently studying to become a hairdresser, doing an NVQ2 at college and I need help with understanding my new colour chart. We normally use Redken colourants but I want to expand my knowledge and have been told Wella Koleston is a good brand but I cannot get to grips with the numbers used

Can someone explain to me the depth and tone numbers used is the Koleston range?? PLEASEEE!!??

I'm wanting to know things such as what colour-tones do the numbers stand for and what is classed as the 'natural' tone mixed with colous for grey coverage??

the first number is the depth and the following numbers are the tone as in every brand just some brands use letters for tones rather than numbers.tones are as follows:
0-ash
3-gold
4-red
5-maghogany
6-violet
7-brunette
8-ash blue
9-violet ash
Excample: 5.07 is depth 5 with a ash brunette tone
i hope this helps
sazza

Last edited:
Hey the I hate to correct but I've worked with koleston perfect for years, the tones are

0-natural
1-ash
2-cool ash (green)
3-gold
4-red
5-mahogany (all the cool tones plus red)
6-violet
7-brunette (all the warm tones plus violet)
8-pearl (blue)
9-cendre(violet-silver)

A colour say 5/73 for example is a light brown with a brunette gold tone. The first number after the forward slash is always the more dominant tone. :)

Bases
22/0 -black
33/0-dark brown
4/0 - medium brown
5/0- light brown
6/0- dark blonde
7/0-medium brown
8/0-light blonde
9/0-very light blonde
10/0- lightest blonde
12/0- special blonde (highlift)

Double bases e.g 55/0 is used for covering resistant grey/white hair

and colour touch which is a quasi colour uses the same tones too :)

Koleston covers up to 100% grey/white hair

Colour touch covers up to 50%
Colour touch plus covers up to 70%

Colour fresh covers up to 30%

Hope this helps you enough

Oh and when you're toning hair after a pre-lighten or highlights etc
I recommend colour touch but you can use koleston too with pastel developer :) if you need anymore help just ask :)

Assuming that you know all the color theory rules, it's pretty simple working with Koleston.

For example: -
7/43
The first number here stands for the depths of the shades (how dark or how light) Also please note that this number is constant and stands for the same shades in most brands and doesn't really change.

The first number after the dash (4 in this case) stands for the dominant fashion effect (tonal direction) of the shade.

The second number after the dash (3 in this case) stands for secondary fashion effect of the shade.

The two numbers after the dash vary from one brand to another.

0/1 is Ash
0/2 is Matt
0/3 is Gold
0/4 is Copper
0/5 is Red
0/6 is Violet
0/7 is Brown
0/8 is Silver
0/9 is Slate Grey

Once you know this, then so if you happen to have a double number (eg: 0/11) then it means you have a color that is double in strength and these count as toners.

To cover grey hairs:-
if its less than 30% the base is 1/3 and the effect is 2/3 of the color with a recommended 6% peroxide. Every 50 ml of Koleston cream you use 60 ml of peroxide.

Hope this helped, please let me know if it did and just ask if you need any more help. :)

Hi guys, i'v been out of hairdressing for many years and am getting back into it.
I am stuck with colours.
I have been told to use wella but I don't know the system.
I used to use the goldwell topchic, so therefore for eg would use 'N' to cover greys, or for lowlights.
I really want to have a full understanding of the wella products so will look into a course but was wondering if you could offer me any help, on what to use to cover greys, lowlights and general colour choice.
I was having a practise doing my mums hair, giving her some lowlights, her hair is coloured with 12/89, we choose the colour 7/34 for the lowlights.
I mixed the 7/34 with 6% and applied with foils, but when it was washed off it was hardly noticeable.. What should I have used to get the results I wanted
Please please please can any of you help xxx

I agree 100% with kaiguest
/0 natural
/1ash
/3 gold
/4 red
/5 mahogany
/6 violet
/7 brunette
/8 pearl
/9 cendre- strong ash

I'm currently studying to become a hairdresser, doing an NVQ2 at college and I need help with understanding my new colour chart. We normally use Redken colourants but I want to expand my knowledge and have been told Wella Koleston is a good brand but I cannot get to grips with the numbers used

Can someone explain to me the depth and tone numbers used is the Koleston range?? PLEASEEE!!??

I'm wanting to know things such as what colour-tones do the numbers stand for and what is classed as the 'natural' tone mixed with colous for grey coverage??

Got a bit confused ladies On the wella colour tonal system. I understand the primary shade numbers fully. My question is, for example , when does the tonal colours enhance or correct. Ie secondary/third colours. 9/60. Does this counteract golden tones in the hair or enhance with mahogany tones. 12/16 etc etc.
thanks

Hey the I hate to correct but I've worked with koleston perfect for years, the tones are

0-natural
1-ash
2-cool ash (green)
3-gold
4-red
6-violet
8-pearl (blue)
9-cendre(violet-silver)

A colour say 5/73 for example is a light brown with a brunette gold tone. The first number after the forward slash is always the more dominant tone. :)

Bases
22/0 -black
33/0-dark brown
4/0 - medium brown
5/0- light brown
6/0- dark blonde
7/0-medium brown
8/0-light blonde
9/0-very light blonde
10/0- lightest blonde

I recommend colour touch but you can use koleston too with pastel developer :) if you need anymore help just ask :)
I have a client who is 80% grey
I use 8 N
I find it is too gold
What would you revolting soften the roots
I do highlights also to break it up

I use 8 N
I find it is too gold
Use the colour wheel to help work this out. The opposite of gold/yellow will be the tone you'll need to add to your formula to counteract it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-05-05-57-13-76_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-05-05-57-13-76_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 0
Ok
I still need the grey to cover so I will try violet, I know that’s the obvious but hopeful it will cover
😊 tganks

Ok
I still need the grey to cover so I will try violet, I know that’s the obvious but hopeful it will cover
😊 tganks
That's exactly it. So you could do either 20g 8/0 + 10g 8/96 or you could do 30g 88/0 + 1.5g 0/66

Thanks

Assuming that you know all the color theory rules, it's pretty simple working with Koleston.

For example: -
7/43
The first number here stands for the depths of the shades (how dark or how light) Also please note that this number is constant and stands for the same shades in most brands and doesn't really change.

The first number after the dash (4 in this case) stands for the dominant fashion effect (tonal direction) of the shade.

The second number after the dash (3 in this case) stands for secondary fashion effect of the shade.

The two numbers after the dash vary from one brand to another.

0/1 is Ash
0/2 is Matt
0/3 is Gold
0/4 is Copper
0/5 is Red
0/6 is Violet
0/7 is Brown
0/8 is Silver
0/9 is Slate Grey

Once you know this, then so if you happen to have a double number (eg: 0/11) then it means you have a color that is double in strength and these count as toners.

To cover grey hairs:-
if its less than 30% the base is 1/3 and the effect is 2/3 of the color with a recommended 6% peroxide. Every 50 ml of Koleston cream you use 60 ml of peroxide.

Hope this helped, please let me know if it did and just ask if you need any more help. :)
You use the ratio of 1:1. So if its 60g of Kolesten cream then it’s 60mls of peroxide

I use 8 N
I find it is too gold
Could I ask you a question? Do colours with a double digit after the / mean they will help cover greys better if mixed with the /00 pure naturals? For eg. 66/00 and 6/74, is that better than 66/0 and 6/7 for 100% coverage. So, the more digits after the “/“ the better or is it the opposite, as in less grey coverage?

0-natural
1-ash
2-cool ash (green)
3-gold
4-red
6-violet
8-pearl (blue)
9-cendre(violet-silver)

Bases
22/0 -black
33/0-dark brown
4/0 - medium brown
5/0- light brown
6/0- dark blonde
7/0-medium brown
8/0-light blonde
9/0-very light blonde
10/0- lightest blonde

0-natural
1-ash
2-cool ash (green)
3-gold
4-red
6-violet
8-pearl (blue)
9-cendre(violet-silver)

Bases
22/0 -black
33/0-dark brown
4/0 - medium brown
5/0- light brown
6/0- dark blonde
7/0-medium brown
8/0-light blonde
9/0-very light blonde
10/0- lightest blonde

Could I ask you a question? Do colours with a double digit after the / mean they will help cover greys better if mixed with the /00 pure naturals? For eg. 66/00 and 6/74, is that better than 66/0 and 6/7 for 100% coverage. So, the more digits after the “/“ the better or is it the opposite, as in less grey coverage?

66/0 is extreme coverage. 6/00 is natural. Double digit before the the / is a more intense coverage.

66/0 is extreme coverage. 6/00 is natural. Double digit before the the / is a more intense coverage.
No I mean double digit tones after the / ..like 6/74. Or is a single digit after we the / is better for mixing with natural to cover greys eg 6/7. I know if I use the same number as a double it’s better eg.6/77, 6/66 etc but I wanna try other colours in the future to mix with the intense naturals . Would 6/00 with 6/74 give full block of colour to cover 100% grey?

No I mean double digit tones after the / ..like 6/74. Or is a single digit after we the / is better for mixing with natural to cover greys eg 6/7. I know if I use the same number as a double it’s better eg.6/77, 6/66 etc but I wanna try other colours in the future to mix with the intense naturals . Would 6/00 with 6/74 give full block of colour to cover 100% grey?
6/00 is designed to flatten/ subdue tone. It's not designed for 100% grey coverage - especially for resistant hair.
For solid coverage you need 6/0 or 66/0.
Wella do online courses - the basic ones are free. Maybe these will help in clearing up how to use Kolesten to its full potential.

Latest posts

Back