Wella Koleston Perfect ME+ - new formulation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa3663

Reaction score
Hi I have used Wella koleston perfect since the very beginning of my hairdressing journey ( hmmm 34 years now ) and on a whole have had fairly good results,
(although I have found on some occasions before the new formulation update grey coverage was a bit translucent).
I am finding the new formulation tricky ! Yes the colours are now covering grey better and are truer to tone , but all my colours are coming out darker and heavier . I have tried mixing with half a shade lighter( as per wella's technical advisor's suggestion ) but on some of my finer haired clients there is a line of demarcation that some have noticed ! It's really frustrating me as Koleston perfect is becoming really expensive now and at the moment whilst I am having problems , I cannot justify passing any price increase from Wella on to my clients and I am wondering if this is a good time to try Lome Paris sold at Sally's salon services which is cheaper and larger tube sizes . What are the thoughts from the koleston perfect users and or Lome Paris users out there , thanks in advance.

Hi I have used Wella koleston perfect since the very beginning of my hairdressing journey ( hmmm 34 years now ) and on a whole have had fairly good results,
(although I have found on some occasions before the new formulation update grey coverage was a bit translucent).
I am finding the new formulation tricky ! Yes the colours are now covering grey better and are truer to tone , but all my colours are coming out darker and heavier . I have tried mixing with half a shade lighter( as per wella's technical advisor's suggestion ) but on some of my finer haired clients there is a line of demarcation that some have noticed ! It's really frustrating me as Koleston perfect is becoming really expensive now and at the moment whilst I am having problems , I cannot justify passing any price increase from Wella on to my clients and I am wondering if this is a good time to try Lome Paris sold at Sally's salon services which is cheaper and larger tube sizes . What are the thoughts from the koleston perfect users and or Lome Paris users out there , thanks in advance.
I agree entirely, I have started using kadus which is exactly the same as the old wella, great support team as well....i haven't needed to reformulate either as most of the shades are like for like, it seems kadus is a wella company anyway and a fraction of the price.....i can't justify the increase with the perfect me, it's too much.

I agree entirely, I have started using kadus which is exactly the same as the old wella, great support team as well....i haven't needed to reformulate either as most of the shades are like for like, it seems kadus is a wella company anyway and a fraction of the price.....i can't justify the increase with the perfect me, it's too much.
Thank you so much for your your reply , I will look into Kadus with interest . The fact that you haven't had to reformulate interests me .

Thank you so much for your your reply , I will look into Kadus with interest . The fact that you haven't had to reformulate interests me .
Also where do you purchase your Kadus stock from ?

I haven't tried the new formula kp, but I've swapped to Leyton House instead. I put my prices up in January as I've always done so the increase in cost would have effectively wiped that out for me.
I think wella are going to see a reduction in custom, at least for a while.

Interesting to hear your problems also, my wholesalers told me they've only changed the formula to prevent skin reactions in clients. I had also found kp white coverage pretty poor.

Thanks for your reply Roxi. Yes that's what my wholesaler told me too , although I'm not totally convinced that was the complete reason. It hasnt given me the best coverage of grey for a while now and it would be easy to believe it was my poor mixing or a peroxide that had lost a bit of strength but I don't think it was . I wonder also if they will lose a bit of custom esp usually with the smaller salons like myself . Good to speak to you

It’s teething problems at the moment with K.P me+ been on some training but still learning. Check out the video on utube the guidance.

Weve also found the colours coming up darker to .. and are mixing a lighter shade to help with this .. we do alot of colour on gents and the staining is also alot heavier on the scalp ‍

I've found the new ME+ to be amazing. The consistency is the same as illumina now so although there has been a price increase it goes alot further than before.

Out of interest does everyone have an account with wella directly because they net down to alot better value as the benefits you get are great especially with education and account credits.

I've always found grey coverage the best with Wella both the old and new has always been perfect.

I always use the brands developers and always weigh colour too and never had it go darker or not cover grey.

Kadus is made by Coty and you can get it from a a few whole salers (chris and sons online sell it).

When you order any gloves/foil etc through their ul wells store lithe boxes come with all their professional brands on it including wella and Kadus.

I've found the new ME+ to be amazing. The consistency is the same as illumina now so although there has been a price increase it goes alot further than before.

Out of interest does everyone have an account with wella directly because they net down to alot better value as the benefits you get are great especially with education and account credits.

I've always found grey coverage the best with Wella both the old and new has always been perfect.

I always use the brands developers and always weigh colour too and never had it go darker or not cover grey.

Kadus is made by Coty and you can get it from a a few whole salers (chris and sons online sell it).

When you order any gloves/foil etc through their ul wells store lithe boxes come with all their professional brands on it including wella and Kadus.
I totally agree.

I don't think it really stands as a criticism of a brand when you're not weighing colour and using matching developer, you'll only ever get the best performance with them, I understand they're more expensive but the benefits outweigh the higher cost for me.

Plus your insurance isn't valid should anything go wrong as you technically weren't following the MFI.

I really like wella, but I feel like everything comes out very warm, even the Ash tones. Anyone who wants a neutral brown above a 5 I need to add intense blue into the mix otherwise they all go ginger

I really like wella, but I feel like everything comes out very warm, even the Ash tones. Anyone who wants a neutral brown above a 5 I need to add intense blue into the mix otherwise they all go ginger

Curious how much intense blue you add, looking to tone down a 8.5 ash blonde, it's a bit too warm. TIA

Latest posts

Back