Wella, L'Oreal-which is best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lins22

Reaction score
Hi I'm starting up my own business and not sure which brand of priducts to go with. In my previous workplace we used L'oreal but I'm unsure which to go with. Or have a mix? Also I've used some Igora colours and they were lovely. Any recommendations appreciated thanks

It really depends who you ask.

I like and use L'Oreal. So does @adamlea87.

However @surf girl uses framesi and a mix.

@cams97 uses Wella... Each have their better/best tones.

It really depends who you ask.

I like and use L'Oreal. So does @adamlea87.

However @surf girl uses framesi and a mix.

@cams97 uses Wella... Each have their better/best tones.

Thanks. So do you think using a bit of a mix would be better? I'm just thinking of ease when it comes to patch testing. Would have to patch test for each brand. Would be easier using the same throughout. Decisions ☺️

I worked with Swarzkopf Igora Royal for 25 yrs. loved it and still do. Even thought I've changed brand for financial reason. Would go back to it tomorrow. Maybe try a mix of brands to start then you'll soon find which you prefer!

I worked with Swarzkopf Igora Royal for 25 yrs. loved it and still do. Even thought I've changed brand for financial reason. Would go back to it tomorrow. Maybe try a mix of brands to start then you'll soon find which you prefer!
Thanks. Yeah they have great a great range of colours

I only use one brand. As I haven't got space for mixing brands.

A patch tests a patch test... You're testing. The PPD mainly. If you're concerned about that get a colour start patch instead.

I tried a couple of different brands when I started but wasn't used to the smell of ammonia because I had been used to using Inoa. So I just stuck with what I knew.

I only use one brand. As I haven't got space for mixing brands.

A patch tests a patch test... You're testing. The PPD mainly. If you're concerned about that get a colour start patch instead.

I tried a couple of different brands when I started but wasn't used to the smell of ammonia because I had been used to using Inoa. So I just stuck with what I knew.
Thanks. Yeah was just because I had a client who took a reaction to igora but was normally fine with majirel.

I find Wella the best brand and they are the world's best seller. They cost more but the colours are truer and last longer, a selling point I remind my clients of often. However I trained with Wella and feel most comfortable using them so if you switch brands best go on a refresher course. You will surely not want too many brands being plugged in your salon as too many and you will want to promote the brand you use....

I find Wella the best brand and they are the world's best seller. They cost more but the colours are truer and last longer, a selling point I remind my clients of often. However I trained with Wella and feel most comfortable using them so if you switch brands best go on a refresher course. You will surely not want too many brands being plugged in your salon as too many and you will want to promote the brand you use....
Thanks. Do you have any contact numbers for wella reps and wella colour technicians? I have sent an email but not had a reply yet

Hi I'm starting up my own business and not sure which brand of priducts to go with. In my previous workplace we used L'oreal but I'm unsure which to go with. Or have a mix? Also I've used some Igora colours and they were lovely. Any recommendations appreciated thanks

Hi Lins22,

Wella L'Oreal... both great brands. I've been coaching my clients for years on this one thing when it comes to the products you choose to bring into your salon and here's the skinny. Almost no professional beauty companies out there make a really bad product... at least not the ones in the mainstream.

Having said that, as a new business owner, it is very important that you make strategic and unemotional decisions because if you don't it will end up costing you a lot more than you can imagine later down the road.

As a salon business coach, my advice has always been this:
  1. Divorce yourself emotionally from every single brand out there
  2. Invite all the players to the table and here what their proposals are
  3. Only choose to work with brands that want to partner with you and truly help you grow your business; by this I mean support including but not limited to:
    • Education both technical and business
    • Backbar and samples
    • New client bags
    • Events
    • Promotion & Incentives
    • Marketing
    • Mentoring & Coaching your people
The list could go on and on; however, you get the gist. I am not saying you have to nail down all of this from one manufacturer BUT these are the conversations you should be having. Make sure you are talking about the things that are most important to you in the growth of your business.

And last but not least is this: I would say no more than the following when it comes to number of lines:
  1. Two permanent color lines and one demi permanent (if you have less than 6 stylist, then one of each is enough)
  2. Two retail lines at different price points and different market positioning; this way you can cater to more people
Hope that helps. Good luck to you.

Best,
Dean

Hi Lins22,

Wella L'Oreal... both great brands. I've been coaching my clients for years on this one thing when it comes to the products you choose to bring into your salon and here's the skinny. Almost no professional beauty companies out there make a really bad product... at least not the ones in the mainstream.

Having said that, as a new business owner, it is very important that you make strategic and unemotional decisions because if you don't it will end up costing you a lot more than you can imagine later down the road.

As a salon business coach, my advice has always been this:
  1. Divorce yourself emotionally from every single brand out there
  2. Invite all the players to the table and here what their proposals are
  3. Only choose to work with brands that want to partner with you and truly help you grow your business; by this I mean support including but not limited to:
    • Education both technical and business
    • Backbar and samples
    • New client bags
    • Events
    • Promotion & Incentives
    • Marketing
    • Mentoring & Coaching your people
The list could go on and on; however, you get the gist. I am not saying you have to nail down all of this from one manufacturer BUT these are the conversations you should be having. Make sure you are talking about the things that are most important to you in the growth of your business.

And last but not least is this: I would say no more than the following when it comes to number of lines:
  1. Two permanent color lines and one demi permanent (if you have less than 6 stylist, then one of each is enough)
  2. Two retail lines at different price points and different market positioning; this way you can cater to more people
Hope that helps. Good luck to you.

Best,
Dean
Thank you for your helpful reply Dean. Great advice! But it's just me on my lonesome☺️ (I'm renting a room within a beauty salon so I'm the only stylist)

I started off with just goldwell but as time goes by I seem to be taking guy tangs lead and turning into a bit of a hair slut! I have favourite things from different brands, eg love Luo po1 & 2 for toning & the multi techniques bleach from loreal, just started using some of the igora royal shades as they do a nice one that cuts through tinted hair to lift & tone and a nice lavender in their pearlescence range. Also love the wella instamatics! My main manufacturer is goldwell though for colour & backbar but it can get expensive!

I started off with just goldwell but as time goes by I seem to be taking guy tangs lead and turning into a bit of a hair slut! I have favourite things from different brands, eg love Luo po1 & 2 for toning & the multi techniques bleach from loreal, just started using some of the igora royal shades as they do a nice one that cuts through tinted hair to lift & tone and a nice lavender in their pearlescence range. Also love the wella instamatics! My main manufacturer is goldwell though for colour & backbar but it can get expensive!
Goldwell expensive? That surprises me!

Ha a bit of a hair slut Love it!
Thanks. I think I'm gonna have a mix for sure cos it's too hard to just stock one brand x

Goldwell expensive? That surprises me!
I found it's cheaper for me to go through wholesalers like capital or Sally etc on vat free days rather than my account. The wholesalers charge less per tube then direct which seems ridiculous plus capital give you loyalty stamps which give you a free peroxide or shampoo when you fill in the sheet. If you do a big enough order direct with goldwell they do deals with free tubes and peroxide etc but I dont always want to do such a big order! The only problem with wholesalers is you can't get the full range such as silk lift or nectaya though!

I found it's cheaper for me to go through wholesalers like capital or Sally etc on vat free days rather than my account. The wholesalers charge less per tube then direct which seems ridiculous plus capital give you loyalty stamps which give you a free peroxide or shampoo when you fill in the sheet. If you do a big enough order direct with goldwell they do deals with free tubes and peroxide etc but I dont always want to do such a big order! The only problem with wholesalers is you can't get the full range such as silk lift or nectaya though!
Thanks yeah I think I'm just gonna order straight from salon services and see how I get on x

Latest posts

Back