Wella Magma/colour advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytoes

Reaction score
Hey peeps,

i have 2 clients next week and they both have colour build up, one of them used henna a few months ago and the other one has used professional colour and colour at home. i will be cutting their hair as well..:biggrin:

I was thinking of buying Magma colour to highlight their hair as they want highlights. I have used Wella Magma once at college and was happy with the result. These are my first official 'colour' clients since leaving college. (also my friends)!! I am excited but a little apprehensive too.

Now i will be honest with you guys that i am still trying to understand the concept of haircolouring, and sumtimes it's driving me nuts, i am learning valuable things on here but alot of it confuses me, especially as i am not used to the different colour brands, language, jargon..i am reading things on the net etc..until i start volunteering at my friend's salon (very soon) i guess i will not be 100% confident.

2 questions for you all:

Do you think i should do these colours or wait til i have more experience and just do cuts & blow drys for now..

or

Go ahead and do it? If so i need suggestions which magma colours would look good on Asian hair?

Thank you guys! I am so glad i found this forum, it is helping me loads..

I hope i get there one day with colour, because right now i feel like **** for not 'getting' it! Sorry for moaning!:mad:

Ok firstly, asain hair or Caucasian? When you say build up how many and what colours? Home or salon? Magma is good but sometimes it's a little harsh if hair has a lot of build up. Because its an aggressive powder bleach with tone. You could use maji contrast in foils, or Sored also in foils but not on the scalp!!

Please do a test cutting henna can be a nightmare. Just to cover your back and to ensure no metallic salts are present :) xx

Ok firstly, asain hair or Caucasian? When you say build up how many and what colours? Home or salon? Magma is good but sometimes it's a little harsh if hair has a lot of build up. Because its an aggressive powder bleach with tone. You could use maji contrast in foils, or Sored also in foils but not on the scalp!!

Thank you for your help Bluerinse:biggrin: They both have Asian hair. One of them used henna 3 months ago and the other one has had colour done in a salon and has used colour at home as well. Hmm not sure what colour their hair is. I am going to do skin/incompatibility test in a few days for them both before i contemplate on doing any colour!

Looked up Majicontrast and seem to like the sound of it, great price and 3 lovely colour options too! Might get some, found a website doing a good deal.....

Also, would this be the right peroxide to use.... L'Oreal Professionnel Oxydant Cream Peroxide (Stabilised cream peroxide that's specially formulated to work with L'Oréal permanent colour like Majirel or Color Suprême). And what would the mixing ratio be for this?

Sorry if a silly question but why should it not touch the scalp..?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Please do a test cutting henna can be a nightmare. Just to cover your back and to ensure no metallic salts are present :) xx

Hey Jody, i will do definitely, thanks!:biggrin:

Ok the one with henna is a no no!! Plain and simple, no if's no buts! Just NO!!

And id be very careful with the other one too, explain that as she has used henna you cannot touch her hair with any other chemical colorant, due to the very high risk of if going severely green!! And damage being caused to the hair, the only way to colour it would be if she grew it all out!!

Ok the one with henna is a no no!! Plain and simple, no if's no buts! Just NO!!

And id be very careful with the other one too, explain that as she has used henna you cannot touch her hair with any other chemical colorant, due to the very high risk of if going severely green!! And damage being caused to the hair, the only way to colour it would be if she grew it all out!!

Ok so what if i did an incompatibility test and it was ok with the henna and the other client? Still no?

And the other client has build up from colour done at salons and also colour done at home..am asking her now whether or not she has used henna too..

Say no to both to be safe?

Not sure what to do now..hmm..don't want any hair disasters from my first clients:!:..maybe i should just do cuts and blow drys for now until i get more experience..what say Bluerinse..help me pleeeeaassee:confused: Was excited and looking forward to doing my first colour clients..all is not lost..i will keep plodding on, will get there in the end!

I wouldn't even bother with incompatibility on the one with henna, just say no!

Yes do it with the other one and check if she used henna and state that if she isn't being honest get hair will be green!! X

I wouldn't even bother with incompatibility on the one with henna, just say no!

Yes do it with the other one and check if she used henna and state that if she isn't being honest get hair will be green!! X

Love you Blue :Love:

You have really helped me and put my mind at ease...i am ringing the one with henna right now to say sorry but i can't do it but i will still cut her hair if she still wishes and i am still waiting for the reply from the other client whether or not she has used henna..if she has too i will explain to them both the damage which can occur to colour on top of henna. have been reading up more on the net about it. If she says no she hasn't, i will go ahead with the skin and incompatibility tests as planned before i colour her hair.

Sound good?

Latest posts

Back