Wella Magma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairdressingBug

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
Have any of you ever used Magma? its the only colour house in wella ive never used or had and real interest in using. I got a free magma colour off my rep and it got me thinking ... why have I never used it? the answer .. because I don't know anything about it! I don't know when its best used, does it need heat, what peroxide do you use withit etc. obviously if I was going to stock it I and my staff would all go on the access course for it but just wanted a rough idea really if its worth it. I don't want to travel 2 hours to the nearest wella studios with my staff in tow to then realise its not worth stocking etc.
TIA
XX

I've used it before and I really like it! I used welloxen 9% (30vol) with it and it was really vibrant! You can use it on coloured hair to lift and deposit tone in a single process. A wella geek can give you more information but I think I heard that it was going to be discontinued..

I used to have Wella Magma highlights myself, the bright red one was awesome! I used 6%, my hair was base 6. Only downfall when it faded they went orange. Didn't want to overlap with more Magma as it is a bleach. And also depending on what kind of clients you have and if you are going to get alot of use out of it. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Magma is awesome, especially for blondes. 89+ is a winner.

For your reds, the perfect thing to recolour them with is Colour Touch relights. They are made to go side by side. The lifting properties in Magma are permanent but the toning properties are semi permanent so they will need to be refreshed.

Ideal for lifting through colour
89+ is ideal for bleaching out old colour as it lifts cool
Can't be used on scalp
I use 6% mainly but sometimes 9%
Mixing ratio is 1:1.5 but I find this too thick so I do 1:2 (naughty me)

I used to have a client who got the bright orange one. Can't remember what shade it was but it was amazing.

Any questions, just ask!

It's fab. /89 is a lovely creamy blonde. And yes the reds fade but no quicker than bleaching and then putting red on top after. Also the Relights are lovely to put over the faded areas.

Hi sorry to crash this thread....but like the poster I've never used magma either. From reading your descriptions above it makes me wonder if that could be a good option for me to use as a highlighter on a client with previous colour on her hair. Bleach alone lifted but left it with a very gold/red tone. Would the blonde you mentioned lift and tone better?

Sent from my ST26i using SalonGeek mobile app

I reckon 89+ would be an excellent choice for your client.

Oh sounds fab. I was going to ask if it could be used on the scalp so Fha k you for that.
Ok so if someone came in with a base 5 and wanted blonde highlights then the magma would be the best choice?
So is magma made to be treated as a bleech? So you couldn't use the over previously bleeched hair?
I tho k I'm going to have to give it a try ;)
Thank you xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I reckon 89+ would be an excellent choice for your client.

Kimi I have just looked up the shades and noticed they have a 89 and a 89+, whats the difference between the two
Sorry to keep asking questions :)
xx

Kimi I have just looked up the shades and noticed they have a 89 and a 89+, whats the difference between the two
Sorry to keep asking questions :)
xx

The + is for darker bases to get more lift. It's a very nice colour. But leave it on the max time because the tone doesn't really deposit until the end.

So would the 89+ be the best choice to lift darker previously coloured hair too?

So would the 89+ be the best choice to lift darker previously coloured hair too?

I would say so. :)

Latest posts

Back